• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:31 AM

Post your comments for MarsEdit 3.1 here

#2 User is offline   worksafe 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:06 AM

I've been running MarsEdit to update six different blogs between Wordpress and Blogger over the past two years (call me bored) and the only problems that I find with MarsEdit is the UI could be improved by having the controls visible instead of having to dig for them and have Python from quit crashing.

Tech support could'nt figure out why it does. I have'nt run into the "API Endpoint URL is the same thing as an RPC URL" you have yet and once you set up a blog in Wordpress or Blogger it is'nt that hard, just have your title of you blog, URL, username and password handy before hand and it takes less than five minutes to import the settings.

#3 User is offline   barstep 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

I use mars Edit 3.1 all the time and I find that while it's great for handling straightforward text, it's image handling is really poor. If I have inserted an image there is no way to subsequently edit it (eg change the size or the margins) unless I delete it and start again or go into the html coding. If I was competent in html I would be using Mars Edit in the first place.
I am also waiting for Mars Edit to be able to handle Wordpress Pages - at the moment it will only edit Posts.
But at such a reasonable price I guess I'll just have be patient that Red Sweater will upgrade the app as time goes on.

#4 User is offline   DanielJalkut 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Thank you for reviewing MarsEdit 3.1! I am the developer of this software and your review gives me some concrete ideas about how I can improve the application. I thought I would chime in with some clarification and response to points you make in the review:

- The "scheduling" feature you describe is not new to MarsEdit 3.1, and to clarify it is not a scheduling feature built into the app but takes advantage of blog systems that interpret a future post as meaning the post is scheduled for the future. I'm glad you like it, though :)

- I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble configuring your Movable Type blog. However, I do not believe however that you would have had any easier time in previous versions of MarsEdit. You suggest that configuration has "taken a step back" in this version which I don't believe is true. I'm always improving it and it's better than it has ever been, albeit not perfect.

- It looks like there is a problem with MarsEdit's help index. Searching on "API Endpoint URL" doesn't yield any results. However, if you have any trouble in the future, click the "Getting Started" link to find a great deal of documentation on the subject, including notes about how to configure specific systems, including Movable Type.

Thanks again for the review and I hope that if you continue using the application you will find that its usefulness outshines the auto-configuration headaches you suffered while getting started.

Daniel

#5 User is offline   DanielJalkut 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

View Postbarstep, on 27 September 2010 - 07:30 AM, said:

I am also waiting for Mars Edit to be able to handle Wordpress Pages - at the moment it will only edit Posts.
But at such a reasonable price I guess I'll just have be patient that Red Sweater will upgrade the app as time goes on.

Hi barstep - MarsEdit does support editing WordPress Pages. This is one of the features I added in MarsEdit 3. When you refresh a WordPress blog you'll see two sections: Posts and Pages. If you want to add a page to a blog, just select File -> New Page instead of New Post.

Daniel

#6 User is offline   KrzysztofMaj 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

Let me throw some cents in to this review. I've been using Blogo for awhile and I really like this app. The problem is that developers of Blogo are not so responsive as you Daniel are and recently something happened this their website leaving the Blogo kind of broken as well. That's why I still thinking about MarsEdit, it seems to me that's a really mature application for bloggers. But, there's always some "but".

Blogo have some nice features like bookmarklet which allow you to being on the YouTube page just click on it and embed video in a really nice and clear way. The same if you select text on the page and click that bookmarklet it lets you put that text into your blog entry like a quatation with a link to the original one.

Does the MarsEdit let you do that in a simple way? I am always having issues puting YouTube video and scaling that video to appropriate size on the page and gong to the HTML code fixing everyting. Any iprovment to this?

Documentation for MarsEdit is also poor. I think that you really should to invest and let the Don do the screencast for ya. This is my little advice.

Till now, I am still trying MarsEdit, looking for a way to use it in a simple and clean way like Blogo used to do. Any thoughts on my comments guys?

Anyway, great app and nice review Macworld. Keep up your great work.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users