• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Microsoft Word for Mac 2011

#43 User is offline   Edgejr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:27 AM

The article states that a "pro" of Word for Mac 2011 is "Full parity with Word for Windows." This statement does not appear to be true, however. Everyone I've spoken with about the program (have not had a chance to see a copy yet) tells me there is no metadata removal tool for Mac. As an attorney, control of hidden file information, which includes everything from author, edit dates, hidden text, track changes, and anything else that is not readily obvious, is essential. Word for Mac seems to lack any tool.

Word for Windows 2003 had a basic "remove hidden data tool," and Office 2007 significantly expanded on that with the Document Inspector function.

Apparently Microsoft thinks that Mac users are all graphics professionals who don't care about the metadata. There is zero compelling reason to get the program until MS adds metadata/hidden data removal tools.

Anyone out there have any inside information on what the Mac Business Unit was thinking (or rather not thinking)?

#44 User is offline   mdoher1 

• Pip

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

I understand that Word 2011 for Mac does not support Arabic...and this question is not about the actual support for that language.

The issue I have is that I have been passed a document that was created in a version of Word on a PC that was set up for use by Arabic staff. Someone has created a document in English and most of the paragraphs are formatted left to right and working fine...no problems. I can edit etc with no issues.

However, there are a couple of paragraphs within the document that are written in English but the text flows right to left. I have tried to set the various settings to English (UK) to try and get the flow to revert to left to right...I've changed the language, I've tried changing the alignment (but that seemed to confuse word a little) and a few other things...but with no luck.

I would emphasise that there are no actual Arabic characters displayed...and standard fonts are being used.

I am using Word 2011 and have Word 2008 on the same machine. Any suggestions about how to get the formatting correct? Has anyone experienced this and solved it - other than retyping the document/paragraph. This is really frustrating.

Regards,

Mark

#45 User is offline   mdoher1 

• Pip

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

OK...second issue found with the new applications: -

Create a set of data...just a series of numbers in Excel and create a sparkline for it. Put some conditional formatting in on the numbers...red background for less than 0; amber for 1 to 9; green for 10 and above.

Now copy the cells and paste into a blank Word 2011 document...

No sparkline graph pasted? Does it come up as a blank cell in Word...even though you may link it to Excel and allow you to double click on the embedded link and go to Excel to re-edit the data set and see the changes reflected in Word instantly.

Overall I like the products...but there appear to be some real issues with the headline features of it.

#46 User is offline   leftnotracks 

• PipPip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:19 AM

You can see how decades of making toolbars really pays off here. Wait, what’s that fourth one from the left, between the folder and the printer?

#47 User is offline   RogerV 

• PipPip

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

Having been ambushed by a woefully crippled Office 2008, especially Word, I no longer trust Microsoft to build professional applications for the Mac. Period! Word has been my bread and butter application since Word One for DOS! I was forced to go back to Office 2004 because, silly me, I couldn't imagine Microsoft would drop macro/VBA implementation in an "upgrade". Bad on me. When it comes to Microsoft, one should always do the research first! This time I'll follow the Word MVP help forums for a year to get more feedback before I buy the 2011 implementation. However, if the past is any indication, Microsoft pays no attention to the problems highlighted on the help forums. The growth of those layers of UI seem to indicate Microsoft is convinced it's user base is growing increasingly more stupid. Are they still using those user labs they claimed helped them build better applications? If they are, WHO are they recruiting to people them with?

#48 User is offline   bkcC6u05trfa85 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

MS-2011 Word eliminated my keyboard commands.
My personal template options disappeared to MS-2011 Word default and will not allow updating.
MS-2011 Word gets in the way of a longtime user doing work.

#49 User is offline   spacez52 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:12 AM

Question for the reviewer or anyone with Word 2011.

I have stuck with Office 2004 because of the macro-less-ness of 2008. Can you tell me if upgrading is worth it from a speed standpoint? You've included benchmarks for 2011 vs 2008 but not 2004. I'm assuming that it is MUCH faster just because it is Intel Native but I thought I should ask.

Thanks.

#50 User is offline   rtye 

• PipPip

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

Let's face it, Word for Mac has been around from the beginning, and I've been using it the whole time. Word 2010 is the best Word for Mac yet by a long shot. The interface is a huge improvement over Word 2008, yet many things are still where you'd expect them from previous versions. If you're a Word user, this is a "must have" upgrade. The same goes for Excel and PowerPoint 2011. True Mac programs made for Mac users.

#51 User is offline   rtye 

• PipPip

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

View Postrtye, on 02 December 2010 - 08:16 PM, said:

Let's face it, Word for Mac has been around from the beginning, and I've been using it the whole time. Word 2010 is the best Word for Mac yet by a long shot. The interface is a huge improvement over Word 2008, yet many things are still where you'd expect them from previous versions. If you're a Word user, this is a "must have" upgrade. The same goes for Excel and PowerPoint 2011. True Mac programs made for Mac users.

Or I mean Word 2011. lol

#52 User is offline   moose_n_squirrel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

View Postspacez52, on 10 November 2010 - 08:12 AM, said:

Question for the reviewer or anyone with Word 2011.
I have stuck with Office 2004 because of the macro-less-ness of 2008. Can you tell me if upgrading is worth it from a speed standpoint? You've included benchmarks for 2011 vs 2008 but not 2004. I'm assuming that it is MUCH faster just because it is Intel Native but I thought I should ask

For me...yes, Word and Office 2011 are much faster than 2004. I stuck with Office 2004 this long because I heard how bad and slow Office 2008 was, but every day more people are sending me .docx now and it always takes too long to open/save .docx in Office 2004 even with the latest converter updates. So I finally upgraded. The Intel Macs I use Office 2011 on are over 2 years old, and Office 2011 is noticeably faster than Office 2004 on them. I think Office 2011 is well worth it to have the apps boot and .docx files open/save in just a couple seconds, and to remove the last big apps I had that were running in Rosetta. Not running Rosetta is going to save me some RAM and CPU, too.

#53 User is offline   GClough 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?
My wife emailed me a Mac 2011 Office word doc (.docx format) that she had transferred from my Macbook via usb memory stick to her windows pc. At work we use Ms Office for Windows 2007. It won't open the Office for Mac 2011 version, saying it's corrupt and has something called a fork error. Well, "fork me"! I thought the days of needing different shaped knives and spoons, bowls and plates for different fare ended the Intel-mac equivalent of the 'splade'. But, unless my experience was an aberration, it seems he whole notion of multi-platform compatibility is pie in the sky. Ironically, it is the sky ... or the cloud ... that may actually provide the solution. Google is skyrocketing along that trajectory as we speak.

#54 User is offline   markscohen 

• Pip

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Compatible is something of an overstatement. The all new eleventh version of MS-Word will not print figures in text boxes created by earlier versions of Word, though the pc version of the program will. This new "feature" of MS-Word is undocumented. There is a workaround: you can save out your files in the 2004 format.

The feature and workaround are discussed here:
http://www.officefor...nting-pictures/

It would be nice if the MacWorld community were able to convince our friends in Redmond that we would be much happier to use the program in the event that it worked.

This post has been edited by markscohen: 15 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

#55 User is offline   Lthornhill 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:54 AM

I already have the Microsoft Office Suite for my Mac and upgrades available for 2011 instead of buying the entire suite?

#56 User is offline   Alaska2Africa 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

I have a question on table of contents with the Word for Mac 2011. The earlier Word for Mac version was not nearly as advanced in the table of contents. I would have to write my PhD papers on Mac, then take them to a PC to update the table of contents without changing the template back to preset, then bring it back to my Mac. Is the new Word for Mac equal to Word in the advanced table of contents features?

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users