• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple TV (2nd generation, late 2010)

#29 User is offline   artistry 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

No Netflix in the UK - maybe the article needs updating to reflect that? But I can't see why in the near future they couldn't add the YouView player which launches here next year, or the BBC iplayer, not to mention LoveFilm which is a sort of Netflix type offering (sort of).
I'm waiting for mine to arrive. I'm a very satisfied apple tv owner, though streaming never really worked for me so this I a gamble, hoping it's improved.
However the price in the uk is bizarre: £99 with no netflix and I'm not sure we're getting 59p episode rental, added to which most of the decent USA programming doesn't get made available until long after Murdoch's channels have got fed up showing them via satellite.

#30 User is offline   Biallystock 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

View PostDanKoeppel, on 30 September 2010 - 09:46 AM, said:

Also: it will play any video we add to itunes, as long as it is in MOV format, correct? So AVIs we convert thru Handbrake, etc. should work?

Converting is a bad idea as it degrades the video and sound. Install Perian so you can play the .avi natively in QuickTime.

#31 User is offline   Jason Snell 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

View Postchilstrom, on 30 September 2010 - 08:23 AM, said:

As to the criticism that the Apple TV "is locked in to only a few content sources", I'll just say one word: AirPlay. Within a year there will be hundreds, if not thousands, of content sources streaming through Apple TV via AirPlay. Hitching Apple's hobby to their wildly successful iGadgets is brilliant.

I don't think AirPlay is a real solution. Nice for some ad hoc video playback, but are you really saying that Apple's solution for me watching a baseball game on my ATV is going to be to stream the game down from the Internet and over my wi-fi network to my phone, then turn around and stream it back over the same wi-fi network simultaneously to my Apple TV, which will then display it while my phone's battery drains?

Doesn't seem practical.

#32 User is offline   MacAdvocate 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

View Postjonro, on 30 September 2010 - 07:04 AM, said:

It's an okay product, but hardware-wise it's disappointing. It's a media device and has only HDMI and optical audio ports. I have a few HDTVs, but only one has an accessible HDMI port. The Apple TV should have RCA audio jacks, RGB and VGA outputs. If I want to add one to my main system, I'll have to buy converters that will possibly cost as much as the box itself. I'd have to give the new Apple TV a big "Fail" in terms of its hardware compatibility.

Good thing you can get the old ones cheap. By your standards - and those of audio visual devices from the last 3 years - your criteria for a passing grade will never be met.

#33 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

View PostJason Snell, on 30 September 2010 - 11:31 AM, said:

As to the criticism that the Apple TV "is locked in to only a few content sources", I'll just say one word: AirPlay. Within a year there will be hundreds, if not thousands, of content sources streaming through Apple TV via AirPlay. Hitching Apple's hobby to their wildly successful iGadgets is brilliant.

I don't think AirPlay is a real solution. Nice for some ad hoc video playback, but are you really saying that Apple's solution for me watching a baseball game on my ATV is going to be to stream the game down from the Internet and over my wi-fi network to my phone, then turn around and stream it back over the same wi-fi network simultaneously to my Apple TV, which will then display it while my phone's battery drains?

Doesn't seem practical.

I don't think that was the point he was trying make. I think he was talking more about local content. One would expect much more streaming content to become supported over time and MBL seems to always be at the bleeding edge for these things, so I would expect some form of MLB streaming support relatively soon for the AppleTV. In either case these limitation seems like they will be temporary as opposed to fundamental limitations.

#34 User is offline   aon007 

• Pip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

View Postdaijones, on 30 September 2010 - 08:10 AM, said:

I'm with Ed, and really looking forward to the ATV2 arriving. The current model works great for streaming my large libraries of music and video, except when the sync with iTunes screws up and I have to restart everything. One question I have is whether the AppleTV will be able to set up an ad hoc wi fi network. I can see me taking my iPad, loaded with video, and the appletv to hotels etc and using airplay to stream, but that would only work if they can connect over wi fi

I dont think the iPad and the ATV2 will support an ad hoc network. However if you owned an airport express, this would give you an easy and portable way to create your own WiFi network anywhere you wanted. You would still be able to use the airplay function even with out an internet connection.

#35 User is offline   MacAdvocate 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

View PostBiallystock, on 30 September 2010 - 08:42 AM, said:

I suggest waiting till a few of "those missing puzzle pieces" turn up.

Which, given AppleTV's history, means you could be sitting on the sideline permanently.

Apple has always tacked things together, with arbitrary restrictions and still shows no sign of making it easy to get at your entertainment.

The fact you can not just turn on and tune in is all due to Apple's choices.

My major concern is with Apple's "green" credentials.

Cardboard box packaging is a token effort when you create a set-up where you have to keep several energy hungry appliances all on to view occasional entertainment.

In most homes all these gadgets will be permanently on with nobody watching.

Rampant waste is bad for your pocket as well as the environment and is so '80s Why go even further down this dead-end road?

*ahem*

The mantra of "wait and see" with tech - especially Apple tech - will have you on the sidelines permanently. From the tone of your comment, it sounds like you're quite content there.

I don't know what your words about "Apple's choices" really mean. It's english, but it makes no sense. Are you saying that content providers have no say in what gets released when? Are you talking about the restricted number of codecs that the ATV will work with?

Your last 3 paras finally clue me in to your agenda. Consumerism bad, yadda. That's cool, but to say that Apple's environmental efforts are "token" is laughable. By your standards, they'd have to stop selling consumer electronics altogether and give the money to Greenpeace.

Enjoy Walden. I'll be rocking out to Iron Man 2 with the rest of the hedonistic, planet-destroying ATV owners.

This post has been edited by MacAdvocate: 30 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

#36 User is offline   Jerryrock 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

I just hooked mine up and it was very easy to set up. It automatically found my wireless network and after entering my password, I was on the internet viewing UTube videos and streaming my movies from the MobileMe account. It presents a slide show for still images with groupings and transitions.

#37 User is offline   Biallystock 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

View PostCaptain America, on 30 September 2010 - 11:46 AM, said:

Your last 3 paras finally clue me in to your agenda. Consumerism bad, yadda. That's cool, but to say that Apple's environmental efforts are "token" is laughable. By your standards, they'd have to stop selling consumer electronics altogether and give the money to Greenpeace.

Enjoy Walden. I'll be rocking out to Iron Man 2 with the rest of the hedonistic, planet-destroying ATV owners.

Drat! You were too quick to uncloak me with your keen, deep intellect.

signed

Dr Evil

This post has been edited by Biallystock: 30 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

#38 User is offline   Wiggin 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

View Postapplecrate, on 30 September 2010 - 07:05 AM, said:

Con: 720p.

Even if Apple only streams 720p from their store, you should be able to handle 1080p media of your own.

For me, 1080p would be desired for viewing photos. I can accept 720p for video. There's not really that much 1080p video content (although I can shoot 1080p video with my camera). But it would be really nice when viewing photos.

It's a minor thing, but there are enough of those minor issues that I'll keep my Mac mini connected to my TV for now. Being able to play DVDs and video_ts is the another. If I get an AppleTV, then I also need to get a DVD (or blu-ray) to be able to play DVDs (mine or borrowed). Yes, I could transcode everything using Handbrake. Except: A) that's not really practical for most people, B ) I like having the menus and access to the extras, and C) that doesn't help when borrowing or renting DVDs.

I'm not saying AppleTV isn't a good deal. It is, especially at $99. At that price I'm tempted to get it just to test out. But from a practical perspective, there are a lot of TVs with only two, sometimes three, inputs. Connect your cable/satellite box, your DVD/blu-ray player (or in my case my Mac mini), and a game system, and you have no inputs left on your TV (unless I resort to the composite input). Unless AppleTV can replace an existing device, there's just no place to hook it up to my TV.

#39 User is offline   KJM350 

• Pip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

How do 1st gen Apple TV users get their old content over to the new Apple TV?

#40 User is offline   Jason Snell 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

View Postartistry, on 30 September 2010 - 10:54 AM, said:

No Netflix in the UK - maybe the article needs updating to reflect that?

Macworld UK edited Netflix out of their version of this review. This site, however, is published in the U.S. and focuses primarily on the U.S. market. If we had to list all the countries and caveats for every service offered by Apple, we would never get much else done.

#41 User is offline   trip1ex 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

View PostJason Snell, on 30 September 2010 - 11:31 AM, said:

Doesn't seem practical.

Yeah I wouldn't count those Airplay eggs before they hatch.

AT the same time I don't see why Apple couldn't make the airplay tech bypass the iPHOne/iPad and go directly from internet to ATV at the tap of the touchscreen.

#42 User is offline   trip1ex 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

One nice Netflix feature you missed, as it seems many sites did, is you can tap the "more" icon on a Netflix movie's information screen in and see a list of actors, the genre and the director.

HIghlight any actor to see what other Netflix movies and shows he or she is in. Click the genre to see other movies of the same genre. Or click the director to see other movies and shows directed by the same person.

IF you want to watch said movie highlight its icon and click to watch.

This post has been edited by trip1ex: 30 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users