Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Opinion: Why HP's Slate isn't anything like the iPad - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opinion: Why HP's Slate isn't anything like the iPad

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Post your comments for Opinion: Why HP's Slate isn't anything like the iPad here

#2 User is offline   VinitaBoy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Mr. Elgan writes: "I haven’t used the HP Slate."

. . . and yet he posts his educated, informed, analytical "OPINION" right here, right now, as if it is the new technogospel.

NEVER USED IT??????????????????

Is journalism COMPLETELY DEAD?

#3 User is offline   bonaccij 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

That was so well put! Thank you.

#4 User is offline   Hawaiian717 

• PipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

Why shouldn't it be compared to an iPad? If, as the author supposes, it was created in response to and to compete with, then it absolutely should be compared to an iPad. This article itself compares the Slate to an iPad. The only reason someone would advocate comparing the Slate to the iPad using the justification in this article, is because they don't want people to be aware of the differences between the products.

And the comment about how the iPad doesn't have the memory or processing power to run PC applications is laughable. Sure it might struggle with the latest and greatest Windows bloatware apps, and I haven't seen any benchmarks, but I'm pretty sure that 1GHz A4 with 256MB of RAM would run circles around that Mac with an 8MHz 68000 and 128KB of RAM that I was using in 1984. There's probably a good chance that it would also outrun that 160MHz PowerPC 603e with 96MB of RAM that I used to run my web site on (using Gentoo Linux).

#5 User is offline   sockimaging 

• PipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hmmm, battery life will make all the difference here.
*censored, with the bad rep to prove it

#6 User is offline   BrianThompson 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

First, why would he NEED to use it to make the comparison? It a PC running Windows with all the PC tablet utilities. It's a tablet PC, not notebook or convertible tablet, its a tablet pc.

The iPad isn't a PC or a tablet PC. It's been pretty much established the next closest device is an iPod touch or iPhone.

So having that established, why would one actually need to use a Slate to point out the differences?

Second. It's not an opinion. Not at all. It a piece based on fact. Period. If you want to quote the author, please quote the whole statement:
"I haven’t used the HP Slate. But it’s a PC running Windows. As such, the UI won’t be all that thrilling to use, and crashes are likely to be more frequent and problematic."

Sure the last part is speculation and conjecture, but still it changes the entire meaning behind "I haven't user the HP slate." from I'm an idiot and haven't used it so I'm making assumptions to I haven't used it but know that Microsoft hasn't change the tablet interface specifically for HP and I know from experience how buggy the experience is.

After reading the entire article, I can completely agree with the Author.

So, everybody, please stop comparing it with the iPad.

#7 User is offline   monospaced 

• PipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

View PostVinitaBoy, on 25 October 2010 - 10:06 AM, said:

. . . and yet he posts his educated, informed, analytical "OPINION" right here, right now, as if it is the new technogospel.

True. He hasn't used the slate, but he has used Windows 7, and his review is based on that experience.

In the end, the Slate is just a tiny, underpowered laptop running Windows 7. It doesn't take a long stretch of the imagination to intuit that the experience will be anything more than what he states above. Rational thought leads me to agree completely, as well.

What I would like to see is a hands-on review where the details of how a stylus works. How does one move the cursor without clicking and dragging? As far as we know, Windows 7 hasn't been modified or adapted for a touch interface, so this is quite important. Also, without the stylus, how does one get anything done with a finger? This will be interesting.

#8 User is offline   Macnutjohn 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

Finally, someone in the press that actually "gets" the difference between these two devices. It's about freaking time!

#9 User is offline   thomaspin 

• PipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Unlike all the people who trash the iPad and have yet to use it, the author takes the amusing tack of praising the HP Slate on similar grounds. Has he evertused Windows, one wonders?

#10 User is offline   macless 

• PipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Never used it! WOW!

#11 User is offline   carolax 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

When a reporter admits he or she hasn't used a particular device, this is called good journalism. Journalism doesn't mean knowing and doing everything; it means examining as many aspects of a story that you can as completely as possible, and then reporting your findings fairly and completely in the time-frame allowed, including caveats like not having actually used the device. Given that the HP Slate runs Windows 7 just like millions and millions of computers that we've all used, what necessary information was the author missing by not having hands-on experience? How easily the screen smudges?

#12 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

How smug. Do you have an issue with any of the points he made, or are you just insulting him to give yourself a false sense of superiority?

#13 User is offline   tfmeehan 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

Why does anyone feel the need to define the iPad?

"Apple’s iPad, on the other hand, is neither a PC nor an alternative to a PC."

I know people for whom it IS an alternative to a PC because it is capable of the things they would use a PC for. They may find down the road that they need to do things it won't do and then the definition may change but for right now it is very much a PC-alternative.

#14 User is offline   Eric72 

• PipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

Just on the information alone, WHY would anyone compare the two? The iPad is specific in it's tasks. The Slate is, IMO, is HP's answer to an iPad crazed market, at the same time something to make up for the failed Netbooks. They are trying to kill two birds with one stone. But as the author wrote, they are two DIFFERENT devices.

I've never used either the iPad or the Slate, but I have an iP4, a Mac and a PC. So even without ever using either iPad or Slate, I know pretty much what to expect from both. Point, with enough info (as the author laid out pretty well), you don't need to use something to know how it works, or what it's intended use is. The people bewildered that Elgan is making claims without every using the product, might all be techno illiterate.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users