• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:31 AM

Post your comments for Roku Players here

#2 User is offline   brobdingnagian 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:10 AM

I have the ATV2. If I’m not mistaken, Apple blocks many of Netflix’s offerings, presumably to inhibit competition with the iTunes store. This should be considered when choosing a product in this category.

I bought ATV2 for streaming from my iTunes libraries. Since it has a problem displaying a large number of libraries (as many report in Apple support discussions), it is valueless to me for that. (I can stream by selecting libraries and songs on a Mac.) It turns out that Netflix and Podcasts are giving me the most value, but it is unfortunate that Apple apparently limits what Netflix can offer through Apple’s device.

#3 User is offline   Jon Seff 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

View Postbrobdingnagian, on 05 November 2010 - 05:10 AM, said:

I have the ATV2. If I’m not mistaken, Apple blocks many of Netflix’s offerings, presumably to inhibit competition with the iTunes store. This should be considered when choosing a product in this category.

I bought ATV2 for streaming from my iTunes libraries. Since it has a problem displaying a large number of libraries (as many report in Apple support discussions), it is valueless to me for that. (I can stream by selecting libraries and songs on a Mac.) It turns out that Netflix and Podcasts are giving me the most value, but it is unfortunate that Apple apparently limits what Netflix can offer through Apple’s device.

Apple designed its own Netflix interface, but it's just a gateway to the Watch Instantly titles that Netflix offers. There's no blocking of content.
Jon Seff
Executive editor, Macworld

#4 User is offline   brobdingnagian 

• PipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:28 AM

View PostJon Seff, on 05 November 2010 - 05:13 AM, said:

Apple designed its own Netflix interface, but it's just a gateway to the Watch Instantly titles that Netflix offers. There's no blocking of content.
I hope you are right. By trimming the number of Netflix genres, Apple has made it harder to browse, but maybe the content is intact.

#5 User is offline   tangential 

• PipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:34 AM

You should look at the Roksbox channel. It allows you to stream content from your local network. It just needs to exposed via a webserver.

#6 User is offline   zwei 

• PipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:10 AM

I have three Roku boxes, and I highly recommend them. As stated above, if you have tons of Apple DRM'd content, then Roku is probably not right for you.

I never got into iTunes downloads because I don't want to manage gigabytes of movie/tv files that I'll probably only watch once or twice. I bought into the streaming model from the very beginning, and after I got my first Roku in 08 I pretty much laughed at Apple's offerings. The AppleTV is one area where Apple is playing catchup. That being said, the new AppleTV is so much like the Roku I recommend it as well …but only over the Roku if the person a.) has lots of video from the iTunes store, or b.) want to do airstreaming from an iOS device.

#7 User is offline   Steve_S 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

View Postzwei, on 05 November 2010 - 07:10 AM, said:

The AppleTV is one area where Apple is playing catchup. That being said, the new AppleTV is so much like the Roku I recommend it as well …but only over the Roku if the person a.) has lots of video from the iTunes store, or b.) want to do airstreaming from an iOS device.

Hey Zack... I agree that the previous AppleTV didn't do it for me either. From what I've seen, I like the new one except for the lack of 1080p. The notion of air streaming does appeal to me though. I suspect I'm going to end up with both the new AppleTV and a Roku with 1080p to do my own comparisons. They're cheap enough. Anyway... good points.

#8 User is offline   DavidGalvang7ht 

• PipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

I have an ATV2, and my primary use for it is streaming the photos I have in my iPhoto Library to the TV to show friends and family when they visit. I just download my photos into iPhoto and organize them as I normally would, and ATV2 respects that organization and shows it on the big screen. Home movies are option+dragged into iTunes from iPhoto or iMovie, and now all my home movies of my 6 month-old son are available for us to enjoy from the couch, instead of locked away on some hard drive. I don't think Roku can do those things without the extra effort of re-organizing your photos/videos and putting them on an external hard drive or thumbdrive and plugging it into the back of the XDR model. That is just enough of an inconvenience that I probably just wouldn't do it. With Apple TV, it is seamless and easy to enjoy your photo and home movie content on your big screen.

#9 User is offline   TheBum 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

I'm still looking for that elusive set-top box that will play the 1080/60p video that my Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder produces. I had to dig into the Roku specs to find that none of these models support it.

#10 User is offline   UmarOMC 

• PipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Can't wait to get one! I've been doing my homework on these for awhile...
Mac OS X 10.7.x/Quad-Core Xeon 3520 2.66GHz
4GB RAM/640GB HDD/2 SuperDrives/ATI Radeon HD 5870
Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 via TOSLINK

#11 User is offline   AVDude 

• PipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

The old ATV is a better option for me. I like having a copy of the media on a local hard drive for when my MBP is not on the network. I also have a ROKU HD and love it. The two devices combined make a whole streaming system for me. Otherwise, each is limited and hobbled IMHO.

#12 User is offline   Sigil 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

I wish you could organize the channels on the Roku. This seems like such a basic function.
SJ

#13 User is offline   trip1ex 

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

ATV2 over the Roku because of local media streaming capabilities.

Not just iTunes video, but also your ripped DVD collection, home movies, photos, music and podcasts. Maybe audiobooks will make the cut too if ATV2 can't already stream them.

Otherwise I would already have purchased a Roku.

#14 User is offline   bille3 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:30 AM

I have been a Roku since March '10. I have the high end model. Roku is coming out with update software soon. Some of the new channels are great! check it out. It is still ahead of Apple TV.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users