• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Roku Players

#15 User is offline   markfn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:10 AM

"That makes them bigger than the new Apple TV, but a couple of ounces lighter."

However, the Apple TV includes the power supply, Roku's clearly has a brick which adds to the overall weight if thats really an issue.

#16 User is offline   Mystakill 

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:15 AM

View Postmarkfn, on 08 November 2010 - 07:10 AM, said:

"That makes them bigger than the new Apple TV, but a couple of ounces lighter."

However, the Apple TV includes the power supply, Roku's clearly has a brick which adds to the overall weight if thats really an issue.
It's actually a fairly small little power adapter, not a brick; slightly larger than two iPhone power adapters together & weighs next to nothing.

For those decrying the Roku's lack of local content streaming, there are several channels which will provide just that. I use Roksbox, which requires both the installation of the Roksbox channel (and its accompanying $10 one-time payment after a 30-day trial) and a web server on a local system to serve up the content. My NAS has a built-in web server, so I don't need to leave another box running to perform that task.

I'll take versatility over simplicity and lack of content any day.

This post has been edited by Mystakill: 09 November 2010 - 04:15 AM

#17 User is offline   BobForsberg 

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

I've purchase 5 Roku players. The first the very day Roku announced their players to run Netflix and the most recent a XDS. Each, excellent in their own way but unable to stream in formats I have, want and will get.

A Mac-Mini, now with HDMI hooked up to my 82" Mitsubishi HDTV downloads from anywhere and streams in either 720p or 1080i/p via Divx or VLC. A BlueRay player with OEM mac drivers will be on board by December.

#18 User is offline   BobForsberg 

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

Someone asked why 5 Roku players?
I give them to family members when I get new ones.

#19 User is offline   pcskeptic 

• Pip

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

I bought the top of the line model to use with a TV that doesn't have an HDMI port. I shopped around, and the Roku box was the best fit for me. I do like it, but it does lack one significant feature, especially in this day and age: There's no sleep mode or power switch (which their Soundbridge M1000, a device I've had and loved for several years, does).

I contacted Roku tech support on the issue, and they confirmed that the device must be physically unplgged in order to achieve any type of power savings. This device gives off quite a bit of heat too (did you notice all of those holes in the top if the case?) Their justifications for this were a quick boot time (on a device that is already up and running) and availability for software updates (does it really need to be available 24/7?).

It also lacks the ability to assign a static IP address. Probably not a big deal for most, but there are times when this is desirable.

I have the new Apple TV hooked up to another TV in the house, and I can say that despite the difference in supported media, the Apple TV is a much higher quality product. Roku has some work to do on their software stack, IMHO.

#20 User is offline   pcskeptic 

• Pip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

View Postpcskeptic, on 24 November 2010 - 07:14 AM, said:

I bought the top of the line model to use with a TV that doesn't have an HDMI port. I shopped around, and the Roku box was the best fit for me. I do like it, but it does lack one significant feature, especially in this day and age: There's no sleep mode or power switch (which their Soundbridge M1000, a device I've had and loved for several years, does).

I contacted Roku tech support on the issue, and they confirmed that the device must be physically unplgged in order to achieve any type of power savings. This device gives off quite a bit of heat too (did you notice all of those holes in the top if the case?) Their justifications for this were a quick boot time (on a device that is already up and running) and availability for software updates (does it really need to be available 24/7?).

It also lacks the ability to assign a static IP address. Probably not a big deal for most, but there are times when this is desirable.

I have the new Apple TV hooked up to another TV in the house, and I can say that despite the difference in supported media, the Apple TV is a much higher quality product. Roku has some work to do on their software stack, IMHO.

Update: I took some power measurements of the Roku player and my Apple TV. Using a breakout cable and an inductive ammeter, I measured a constant ~10w for the Roku player, at all times. The Apple TV read ~2.5w during use and ~1w in standby mode.

Roku claims that their player uses 6w during use and 4w in standby. I was unable to verify any type of standby mode with mine, and never saw a power consumption that is as low as their claims.

I returned my player today. Expecting users to unplug such a device is silly to me. Do you unplug your TV when you're finished watching it, or unscrew your light bulbs when you're leaving the room?

That said, I would gladly buy another one if Roku provides some type of verifiable power control and savings.

#21 User is offline   greenmail 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

The review was in Nov., 20190. Since then the problems of streaming some episodes of some TV series in Netflix to the AppleTV have become more widespread, or at least they have accumulated a large number of common complaints. Success with Netflix and AppleTV is such a hit-or-miss thing, that it is extremely frustrating to use it.

Does anyone know if apple is actually doing anything to improve the situation? Does anyone know if the Roku devices suffer the same problem?

To date, nothing seems to besuccessful in curing the AppleTV problem: not hardwire vs. WiFi, not resetting, not unplugging and restarting, not software updating, NOTHING!!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users