• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Getting A Tiff into iPhoto

#1 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

My wife received an email with several photos listed as Tiff and shown as 'picture clipping'.

They can't be added to her iPhoto album, presumably because of the Tiff format.

How can she get them into iPhoto? Can they be converted to .jpeg format?

Thanks, Bob.

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:11 AM

View PostRcovell, on 10 November 2010 - 09:49 PM, said:

My wife received an email with several photos listed as Tiff and shown as 'picture clipping'.

They can't be added to her iPhoto album, presumably because of the Tiff format.

How can she get them into iPhoto? Can they be converted to .jpeg format?

Thanks, Bob.

TIFF files are a raster image format. You can convert them to JPEG, but depending on the nature of the image PNG might be a better choice. JPEG is good for photographic images or other things with smooth shading. PNG is better for flat shading; discrete regions of solid color.

But

iPhoto is able to load TIFF files. So you don't need to make this conversion, or at least you shouldn't. What happens when you try?

#3 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

She received the Tiffs as part of an email and simply copied them to her desktop.
When she tried to drag them onto iPhoto, they won't copy and just move back into
place on the desktop.

If I used your suggestion about the PNG files, how do I get the Tiffs into PNG?
Or the Tiffs into jpg?

Bob.

#4 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

View PostRcovell, on 11 November 2010 - 09:40 PM, said:

She received the Tiffs as part of an email and simply copied them to her desktop.
When she tried to drag them onto iPhoto, they won't copy and just move back into
place on the desktop.

If I used your suggestion about the PNG files, how do I get the Tiffs into PNG?
Or the Tiffs into jpg?

Bob.

Pretty much any program that's able to open and save image files (such as Preview) will let you do it via the Save As... command. Be warned, though, that one possible reason iPhoto wouldn't open the files is that it doesn't actually seem to be an image file in a known format. In that case, it's likely that image editors wouldn't be happy with it either.

When you try to drag them onto iPhoto, does the cursor get augmented with a plus sign in a green circle while it's over the iPhoto window?

#5 User is offline   moose_n_squirrel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:27 AM

This is the crux of the matter right there. The problem is not TIFF. iPhoto can take a TIFF just fine, it's completely supported. The problem is that they are Picture Clippings. Picture clippings are not the same as regular image files. Like text clippings, picture clippings are a special Apple format only seen on the Mac desktop. You can never drag them into anything. What you want to do is double-click the picture clipping to open it, then Copy, then open Preview, then Paste, then Save, as a TIFF or JPEG. That will produce a file you can drag into iPhoto. No other conversion should be needed.

If the email contained pasted images, that's why they turned into picture clippings, because there was no attached file to put in iPhoto. Only pasted pictures in the message that do not exist independently on the disk. If the images had been real, separate, files that were attached to the email, they probably would have dragged to the desktop as real files. And she would have been able to drag them straight from the email into iPhoto, which I'm betting cannot be done in this case.

View Postbastion, on 11 November 2010 - 03:11 AM, said:

TIFF files are a raster image format. You can convert them to JPEG

Unnecessary...both TIFFs and JPEGs are raster images. Both sure as heck ain't vector.

#6 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:04 AM

View Postmoose_n_squirrel, on 12 November 2010 - 03:27 AM, said:

This is the crux of the matter right there. The problem is not TIFF. iPhoto can take a TIFF just fine, it's completely supported. The problem is that they are Picture Clippings. Picture clippings are not the same as regular image files. Like text clippings, picture clippings are a special Apple format only seen on the Mac desktop. You can never drag them into anything. What you want to do is double-click the picture clipping to open it, then Copy, then open Preview, then Paste, then Save, as a TIFF or JPEG. That will produce a file you can drag into iPhoto. No other conversion should be needed.

If the email contained pasted images, that's why they turned into picture clippings, because there was no attached file to put in iPhoto. Only pasted pictures in the message that do not exist independently on the disk. If the images had been real, separate, files that were attached to the email, they probably would have dragged to the desktop as real files. And she would have been able to drag them straight from the email into iPhoto, which I'm betting cannot be done in this case.

The above is mostly wrong.

Picture clippings, like text clippings, can be dragged and dropped into any location where data of the same nature could be inserted via "paste." In theory, it's completely possible for a file-management tool like iPhoto to accept it just like any other image format, but it'd take a little extra work since iPhoto is, today, most likely filtering on the public.image UTI and not recognizing the clipping because its type doesn't conform to that.

Your explanation of how they ended up as clippings makes no sense. When content is added to mail it doesn't matter if it has a presence on-disk or not. Whether by drag or by cut-and-paste it'll have a real, defined image format and the attachment's data stream and MIME type should reflect that. The only reason you should end up receiving a picture clipping over the wire is if the sender actually attached a clipping file in the first place. (In fact, it would most likely be attached as TIFF data, since that's a commodity format that's handled natively in OS X and offers support for a broader range of features that just about any other raster format available).

View Postbastion, on 11 November 2010 - 03:11 AM, said:

TIFF files are a raster image format. You can convert them to JPEG

Unnecessary...both TIFFs and JPEGs are raster images. Both sure as heck ain't vector.

Yes. That's why I went on to say "you don't need to make this conversion" in the part that you snipped.

#7 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

I got a chance to play with these pics tonight. There are 3 of them and they're listed as Picture Clipping 1, 2 and 3. When I double click on them, they open in Finder. Near the bottom of each open photo it says TIFF. I cannot drag them to iPhoto. I've tried to use Preview and they won't open there either. There doesn't seem to be any Paste function available and nothing in the Save As function.

They're just snapshots of my granddaughters, so not copyrighted or anything.

Any further ideas on how to get these pics into iPhoto?

Thanks, Bob.

#8 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:11 AM

View PostRcovell, on 13 November 2010 - 08:56 PM, said:

I got a chance to play with these pics tonight. There are 3 of them and they're listed as Picture Clipping 1, 2 and 3. When I double click on them, they open in Finder. Near the bottom of each open photo it says TIFF. I cannot drag them to iPhoto. I've tried to use Preview and they won't open there either. There doesn't seem to be any Paste function available and nothing in the Save As function.

They're just snapshots of my granddaughters, so not copyrighted or anything.

Any further ideas on how to get these pics into iPhoto?

Thanks, Bob.

Okay, so what you've got is a clipping file whose contents happen to be in the TIFF format. Any image editor should be able to let you use these by dragging them into an open image window, so you could create a new document of the correct size (or larger) and just drag these in. It may be annoying to determine what the correct size is, though. Happily GraphicConverter will open clipping files directly by dropping them on its icon. Then you can save them off as JPG files.

I should warn: I just tested with GraphicConverter 6.7, which is what I have on this machine. GC 7 is substantially re-written and is, for the moment, missing some of the behaviors of earlier versions. This *might* be one of them. But it definitely works in the prior version, which is still available for download at lemkesoft.com.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users