Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: 26th Annual Editors' Choice Awards: the complete list - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

26th Annual Editors' Choice Awards: the complete list

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:01 AM

Post your comments for 26th Annual Editors' Choice Awards: the complete list here

#2 User is offline   Maxer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

The MacBook Air 11-inch is the best portable Mac ever. But a smaller and lighter one would be even better.

#3 User is offline   Photonerd 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

Kudos for the NEC monitor pick / letting the world know that Apple's displays really are not professional grade color tools. Unfortunately many owners of the NEC and similar screens from Eizo are having problems achieving 10 bit color because of incompatibilities between Apple's GPUS (which use Mini DisplayPorts) and their monitor's DisplayPort. Apple does not sell a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable so people have to use third party cables and somewhere amongst that triad, there is a problem that causes anything from sleep issues to mouse problems. They've been on Apple's board for months; would be great if someone addressed the problem, but I guess Apple has a vested interest in not helping.
Basking in the glow of iPad Retina goodness.

#4 User is offline   kill953 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

Quote: "Fortunately, Valve spared no expense in bringing Steam to the Mac. This isn’t some duct-taped Java port that limps along with a fraction of its Windows counterpart’s features."

No, instead it is a truly dreadful Adobe AIR app with the performance and usability of a slug. Christ, Steam is an AWFUL app.

It is great that we have Steam on the Mac and great that the number of games available has probably quadrupled as a result, but to state that Steam is not a duct-taped port is incredibly blinkered. Performance is atrocious (not a single trailer will play without skipping multiple frames on my 24" 2.8GHz iMac, ffs - but they play as well as they can in the browser version of the steam website), navigation is a nightmare of poor usability, windows open in the background regardless of how many times you close them and will not go away (e.g. the Add a Friend window), the window widgets and chrome are the horrible fakes that all AIR apps get, sidebars can't be resized so your are SOL if a game title or other information goes beyond the edge of the sidebar, etc.

The Mac aspect of the Steam store is also very, very weak:

If you want only to find Mac games with demos, good luck with that as there is no separate section for them.

None of the category's or genres let you filter by Mac availability, so you either have to trawl through hundreds of Windows games to find the few Mac-compatible ones, or, well forget about it entirely because there is no way to only find Mac games in a particular genre.

Steam on the Mac = great
Actual implementation = [censored] horrible.

#5 User is offline   kill953 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

Oh, and side-scrolling using a Magic or Mighty Mouse isn't supported either (like other Adobe AIR travesties on the platform).

#6 User is offline   TheBum 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:01 AM

My biggest annoyance with 1Password is the high cost of upgrades. I have commercial apps with much more functionality that cost less. If they'd lower it to $20 or less, I'd be more inclined to upgrade.

#7 User is offline   sigma8 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

You might want to check on that "Dodocase is made in San Francisco" bit. I'm pretty sure I read an exchange in a Q&A section on their site, that the binding is done in San Fran, but the wood frame that actually holds the iPad is machined in Asia. So the product as a whole is only half a reflection of a dying art (i.e. actually producing things in the States).

#8 User is offline   roustem 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

View PostTheBum, on 07 December 2010 - 08:01 AM, said:

My biggest annoyance with 1Password is the high cost of upgrades. I have commercial apps with much more functionality that cost less. If they'd lower it to $20 or less, I'd be more inclined to upgrade.

TheBum,

Thank you for mentioning 1Password!

1Password 1.0 was released in 2006. From 2006 to 2010 there were over 100 free updates with over 1,600 improvements made overall:
http://agilewebsolut...ssword/versions

There was only ONE (1) paid upgrade. For the first 6 months the price of the upgrade was $19.95.

Best regards,
Roustem Karimov
Founder of Agile Web Solutions

#9 User is offline   MatChavez 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

Roustem, ignore him. You earn every dime.

#10 User is offline   Salerno 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

Haha, roustem, thank you. I thought the same.

#11 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

Glad to see my favorite workhorse, Excel, getting some props. I too was disappointed by the previous downgrade and didn't jump. I've set up a bowling league spreadsheet and made use of macros for keeping track of high scores and such.

Funny thing is that since then, I've replaced my use of macros mostly by use of the Indirect function. Everything is automatic.

BB

#12 User is offline   happymac 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

My only complaint with 1P is that it is not as intuitive as it should be to use. When I get a new website password entered, 1P should automatically ask me if I want to save it there. It doesn't always do this. Eg, my primary banking site requires me to enter the pw manually each time. I use Chrome and 1P is supposedly fully integrated now for it.

#13 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

View Posthappymac, on 07 December 2010 - 02:46 PM, said:

My only complaint with 1P is that it is not as intuitive as it should be to use. When I get a new website password entered, 1P should automatically ask me if I want to save it there. It doesn't always do this. Eg, my primary banking site requires me to enter the pw manually each time. I use Chrome and 1P is supposedly fully integrated now for it.

This is likely because your bank prevents the auto-entering of passwords—it's coded into the Website.
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#14 User is offline   happymac 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

oh. Perhaps that should be made clear on their website.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users