Macworld Forums: Grayed-out applications - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grayed-out applications how to open grayed-out applications

#1 User is offline   rkline 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

I need help in opening grayed-out applications or files.

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:28 AM

View Postrkline, on 08 December 2010 - 05:55 AM, said:

I need help in opening grayed-out applications or files.

We need help understanding your question. In what context or view are these items greyed out? (This is not a normal Mac OS presentation. Historically it has only been used for things that are mounted but offline.) How are you trying to open them? What happens when you try?

#3 User is offline   vincent860524 

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

If you mean grayed out icons with a question mark in the dock, then just use spotlight to search the file/application. If you can't find it, it probably is lost. The dock is only a list of shortcuts.

This post has been edited by vincent860524: 08 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

iMac 21.5 inch, 3.6GHz Core i5 (BTO), Mid 2010.

#4 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

To add to Vincent's very good answer: if the APPLICATION ICONS THEMSELVES are gray with a line through them, then they are Classic (very very very very very very old) apps and will not run on that machine ... OR somebody ran a "strip all the (PowerPC/Intel) code out of my apps" type program and screwed it up big time.
Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!

My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave

#5 User is offline   rkline 

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

I am trying to import my bookmarks into Safari from Firefox but when Safari ask where to import from, when I go to applications and try to indicate Firefox, it is grayed-out and will not let me use it. Have also not been able to open applications like iPhoto when asked where my pictures are located by another program.

I read somewhere how to 'work around' this problem but cannot find the info again.

Thanks, Roy Kline

This post has been edited by rkline: 10 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

#6 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

View Postrkline, on 10 December 2010 - 11:23 AM, said:

I am trying to import my bookmarks into Safari from Firefox but when Safari ask where to import from, when I go to applications and try to indicate Firefox, it is grayed-out and will not let me use it. Have also not been able to open applications like iPhoto when asked where my pictures are located by another program.

I read somewhere how to 'work around' this problem but cannot find the info again.

Thanks, Roy Kline

When a program is asking you where to find data you've asked it to import, it's not generally asking you to locate the software that you've previously used to manage that data. When you're in a file selection dialog, as I think you're describing, you can only select files that actually conform to what the software expects (or, of course, folders that might contain those files). Sometimes the software will give you a little bit of a leg up by asking you just to identify your prior app out of a small set that it explicitly supports, and then it can hunt down and process that apps data via logic the coders built in. But failing that, you're going to be looking for your data.

#7 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:53 PM

I am trying to import my bookmarks into Safari from Firefox but when Safari ask where to import from, when I go to applications and try to indicate Firefox, it is grayed-out and will not let me use it.

That's because the APPLICATION Firefox is not what Safari is asking for -- it is asking for you to locate your Firefox BOOKMARKS FILE. That should be located in /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Firefox
Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!

My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave

#8 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

View Postchas_m, on 11 December 2010 - 08:53 PM, said:

I am trying to import my bookmarks into Safari from Firefox but when Safari ask where to import from, when I go to applications and try to indicate Firefox, it is grayed-out and will not let me use it.

That's because the APPLICATION Firefox is not what Safari is asking for -- it is asking for you to locate your Firefox BOOKMARKS FILE. That should be located in /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Firefox

I gotta ask why chas_m gets a +1 for saying the same thing for which I got a -1. I don't really care about the ratings, but I'm always baffled when I see negatives on something factual and verifiable, and it's even weirder when a corroborating response gets marked in the opposite direction.

This post has been edited by bastion: 13 December 2010 - 03:08 AM

#9 User is offline   rkline 

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:37 AM

View Postbastion, on 13 December 2010 - 03:07 AM, said:

View Postchas_m, on 11 December 2010 - 08:53 PM, said:

I gotta ask why chas_m gets a +1 for saying the same thing for which I got a -1. I don't really care about the ratings, but I'm always baffled when I see negatives on something factual and verifiable, and it's even weirder when a corroborating response gets marked in the opposite direction.

I could not understand what you were saying. Like I stated, I really don't know much about Mac's. His answer gave me the route spelled out so I could better understand, thats all. Sorry,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users