Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple: Mac OS X Downloads site will no longer offer apps - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple: Mac OS X Downloads site will no longer offer apps

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Post your comments for Apple: Mac OS X Downloads site will no longer offer apps here

#2 User is offline   donfrase 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

What's an App?

Is that short for Apple?

#3 User is offline   Swery 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

View Postdonfrase, on 20 December 2010 - 06:44 PM, said:

What's an App?

Is that short for Apple?

Dude..."app" is short for "application," meaning a program. It's, like, a freaking universal term.

#4 User is offline   JMHammer 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

You must be very short indeed for that to have gone over your head.

#5 User is offline   aamueller 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Come on now. He obviously lives outside the cozy Reality Distortion Field. ;)

But, all kidding aside, I thought that the term "App" has pretty much made it into the mainstream. I haven't checked but I'd be surprised if it hasn't made it to the Oxford English Dictionary.

#6 User is offline   SeanSmith 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

This will make it harder for developers to reach customers still on Tiger or Leopard (some of whom cannot upgrade to Snow Leopard), since for them the Mac App Store won't be any kind of destination.

Yes, there will still be web sites like MacUpdate, but it seems that many Mac users are unaware of them. I was surprised to learn that most of Soldak's Mac customers, for example, come from Apple Downloads: Apple downloads dead?

This post has been edited by SeanSmith: 20 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

#7 User is offline   cnls 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

"offer users new ways to work, play, learn, and create on their Mac".

A bunch of digital people working, playing, learning, and creating on their Mac. A bunch of virtual people on a virtual machine working, playing, learning, and creating.

This is your life. This is where you live. This is where you work. This is where you play. This is where you learn. This is where you create. "On" the Mac.

It's so wonderful, in fact, that it takes over and becomes a part of every little minute detail of your life.

So that when you die, you'll live again.

No, it's not Jesus anymore. It's an Apple that you need if what you want is eternal life and sugar and spice and everything nice.

I can understand an apple a day, that's actually good advice -- but c'mon, it ain't "all that".

#8 User is offline   MecCcaMendocino 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

So not to be pesimistic, but is apple abandoning the desktop/laptop market? Since every mac owner I know, and myself as well - depend on apples site to find Mac-relevant software. It seems that if OSX users cant find software EASILY, and the developers cant get their products "out there"....well you can see the downward spiral.
IMHO Apples App site was instrumental in bringing people over to this platform. It certainly allowed me to say things like: "see how much sotware is out there".
I will say this, if they jsut take away the ability to download, but leave up the search ability and links - it might not be so bad. again, IMHO.

#9 User is offline   Rhywun 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

Well, there's at least one of us who has almost never used Apple's download site - the lack of any real description or opinion beyond the short blurbs provided, plus having been burned one or two times too many by junk downloads, were a couple things that probably helped drive me to any of the numerous, far more useful sites out there.

#10 User is offline   guzzisport 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

I've used the unix portion of the software downloads in the past to augment Apple's terminal application and the basic unix underpinnings of OSX. There is a large amount of GNU software which by definition (and requirement) is free and Apple will either have to back off or do away with these utilities entirely. That will leave only external sites. Fortunately, they tend to be better than Apple to begin with. Better still, I can run Red Hat Linux natively on my iMac 27i7 so I'm not required to bow and scrape to the Apple version of the MicroSoft empire.

#11 User is offline   vfx2k4 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

So much bellyaching over the emperor's new clothes. Apps are just apps whether you get them on a website or a standalone window on your desktop. Who's really losing out are the brick and mortar Mac software stores not owned by Apple. This is the end of those guys for good...

#12 User is offline   GregoriusM 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

I have no idea where people get the idea that Apple is abandoning the Mac.

The Mac OS App Store is doing exactly the opposite. Providing an easy place for the new computer user or new Mac user to find lots and lots of software for the Mac, whether it be desktop or portable.

Apple's bottom line is handsomely enhanced by the Macs it sells and the sale of those Macs out paces the regular PC market by 2 or 3 times every quarter.

Bring on the Mac App Store and may all the other online Mac App retailers continue to thrive as well as people learn that the Mac does indeed have virtually everything they want for software. Sometimes when you discover that, you start looking for even more and that's when you find those other sites, that as one poster mentioned above, may very well be even better than Apple's own site. But at least Apple's site will get the new (and old) Mac users started.

And what Apple drops on its current store and does not pick up in its Mac App Store will be picked up by those other download sites. Just give it a little time.

The Mac is alive and well and really, in many ways, just starting to flourish.

#13 User is offline   D_Champagne 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

It's been many years since I've used Apple's site for downloads. The lack of information and other user opinions, and some downright junk has caused me to move to better forums. MacUpdate.com and Cnet's Download.com are far better sources with accurate information.

If Apple could use a better forum for iTunes Apps for my iPhone/iPad I'd be happy. Seeing the Editor's and User's ratings for an App before wasting time reading about it would be a hugh improvement. All iTunes shows in the preview of a search is the icon and the price. Hugh waste of time.

#14 User is offline   effe 

• PipPip

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

Frankly, I haven't been on the Mac OS X Downloads site for probably years… Let's promote the "holly cloud" and ask google for what we need. And we shall be rewarded. You need any kind of app for any kind of task, just google it and it will pop out. Simple as that. For the rest of the more pedestrian crowd, say, my mom? a Mac App Store is the easiest way to go.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users