• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Mac App Store: What you need to know

#15 User is offline   whitedog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:36 AM

Something you overlooked in your list: some apps in the Mac App Store are different in more than version number from those sold outside the store. Some developers have had to strip features from their apps to qualify for the store. At this time there is no clear way to know whether you are getting a diluted version or not. Eventually I expect developers to note the differences on their own web sites, but don't hold you breath waiting to see the same information in the store product descriptions.

In effect, what store restrictions are doing is balkanizing the Mac app environment - ironic considering Apple criticizes the Android platform for the same problem. A lot of people are going to be surprised when they discover they bought a less capable version of an app in the store - and that the licenses are not transferable; not only will this be a source of considerable confusion, I expect it will eventually generate a lot of negative publicity for the App Store as well.

For this reason, among others, I think the App Store has been over-hyped. Most software these days has a built-in option for checking for updates, so the update feature of the App Store is neither revolutionary nor even unique.

The biggest strength of the App Store at this point may be the ease with which software can be installed on multiple Macs by using the same Apple ID. How this will affect developer profits from multiple licenses remains to be seen. They may have to create a more controlled multiple-license procedure for the store, some form of DRM.

Likewise, the direct install procedure may also prove popular as most people don't know what to do with the usual downloaded files once software is installed anyway.

Clearly the jury will be out on the Mac App Store for a while yet.

#16 User is offline   akfaka 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

I found it strange that Apple didn't put the Mac App Store in iTunes instead. The iTunes is the central hub for all purchases done from Apple, it just seems to be a logical place to do an Mac App purchase like the iOS apps

This post has been edited by akfaka: 07 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

#17 User is online   tclethbridge 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:13 AM

If you drag an app to the trash, it is not fully deleted. It still appears in your list of 'purchased' apps in the app store, with a button labelled 'install'. I find this very annoying.

I also commented in my blog tims-ideas.blogspot.com
more about this and this, and gave some ideas for how Apple could improve the pricing model for both consumers and developers.

#18 User is offline   venividivici 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

View Posthillstones, on 07 January 2011 - 12:30 AM, said:

The App Store really needs to have a buyer confirmation dialog box so you don't accidentally click on that $700 app by mistake!

Since Apple has opt to follow one-click purchases, why would you expect Apple, or any other online store, to continue to support people that do not understand one-click? I would prefer to have a one-click store, rather than one that requires you to authenticate everytime. If you buy at the Apple Store, get used to it and avoid personal mistakes.

#19 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

View Postvenividivici, on 07 January 2011 - 06:46 AM, said:

The App Store really needs to have a buyer confirmation dialog box so you don't accidentally click on that $700 app by mistake!

Since Apple has opt to follow one-click purchases, why would you expect Apple, or any other online store, to continue to support people that do not understand one-click? I would prefer to have a one-click store, rather than one that requires you to authenticate everytime. If you buy at the Apple Store, get used to it and avoid personal mistakes.

Apple provides the option to do either in iTunes, so I don't know why it wouldn't be possible to offer both options in the App Store as well.

#20 User is offline   JordanSmith 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

Two things:

1. There are trial or demo apps in the Mac App Store. I've seen several lite versions already.

2. If I have a new Mac that came with iLife '11, get the App Store on that machine, and then use the same Apple ID on my old Mac, can I download iLife '11 apps onto my old machine as if I'd just bought them on the new machine?

#21 User is offline   k88dad 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

Could it be that I understand one-click just fine, and I'm simply not interested in it? Neither Amazon nor the iTunes Store require me to use one-click. An option makes everyone happy.

I'm not yet sure if the MAS mandates one-click. I've made just one purchase and it required authentication.

This post has been edited by k88dad: 07 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

#22 User is offline   PowerPC 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

My initial impression is that many of the non-Apple apps are like Mac OS X versions of existing iOS apps. (Flight Control comes most readily to mind.) Here's hoping that most of the big apps sold in boxes at Apple stores find their way, in full, to the Mac App store.

#23 User is offline   mrivision 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

Does anyone know if you can back up Mac app store purchases to CD/DVD. If not, how can you reinstall them on a computer if you do not have internet connection, the company has gone out of business, the software is no longer available (for whatever reason) on the app store, or you do not want to install a more recent update (maybe your computer will not handle the requirements, maybe you do not want the latest version of Office bloatware)?

#24 User is offline   hillstones 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

Amazon, who invented One-Click, has the option to use One-Click, or use a shopping cart. iTunes works in the same fashion, although they recently changed it to a wish-list. So you would think the Mac App Store would be consistent. I hope someone visits your home and starts buying the most expensive apps without your knowledge because you are under the impression that buying options should not be allowed.

#25 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

Just noticed that the Apple menu in 10.6.6 has "App Store..." where the "Mac OS X Software..." item used to be. And it reminded me that simple is usually better when it comes to consumer technology.

It will be interesting to see if the Mac App Store increases Mac sales. If so, we can expect Microsoft to start copying as soon as they can. Which could take a year or more. Especially if they have a separate XP Mode app store...

#26 User is offline   zamboknee 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Are the apps the same as you'd get at the developer's site? I want to get Sketchbook Pro at App Store but don't know if it's the same version as the one at Autodesk's website, where it's about twice as expensive.

#27 User is offline   seho 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

View Postredgeminipa, on 06 January 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

"You won’t see trial, demo, or beta apps in the store."

Not correct. I installed GarageBuy (eBay app), and it is indeed a beta version. It's not fully baked, either. I made a note of it in my review in the App Store.

Was it formally defined in the application as a beta, or did you just decide it was a beta because of bugs/lack of polish/etc? The two are different things.

#28 User is offline   mr.steevo 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

View PostMacnutjohn, on 06 January 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Really sucks that the store and apps are Intel only.......

But not for 486 machines. Drat!

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users