• You cannot reply to this topic

Installing Windows OS on PowerBook G4

#1 User is offline   ELSELS 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Hello,

My first post/thread here... :)

I have a Apple/Mac PowerBook G4 laptop it is presently running Leopard Mac OS-X, 10.5.8 updated version.

I wanted to 'test' installing Windows XP Pro also onto the computer.

I have access to the 'typical' software, to install the Windows, but, this is new to me.

Which of the following would be the smartest path to take, allowing for the Windows the best level of operational outcome, once it is installed?:

Choices:

Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac Version 7 (with XP Pro)

Connectix Virtual PC 6 w/ XP Pro for Mac

VMWARE Fusion 2 for MAC

Parallels Desktop for Mac

Parallels Desktop 3.0 Disc and Booklet

I am not sure which (if not all can or can not) be installed on the G4 CPU or only the Intel CPU?

Thanks!

Have a nice evening,

~ Happy New Year 2011 ~

God Bless,
Ed

#2 User is offline   Typhoon14 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:14 AM

Virtual PC 7 would be your best choice. 6 is older, and the other two will not run on your system.

We need to be clear here, Macs with Intel CPUs are fully hardware-compatible with Windows, Windows is able to send code directly to the CPU and have it understood, just like on any other Windows PC. Windows on a PowerPC-based Mac is a totally different story. The CPU architecture is completely different, and it cannot understand any of the instructions Windows sends to it. Programs like Virtual PC have to translate every single instruction from an x86 to a PowerPC instruction. This makes Windows on PowerPC Macs abysmally slow. I'm talking low-end Pentium II levels of slow. Additionally, the emulation is not perfect, and a number of applications will simply not run.

What I'm getting at here is that it will not be a good experience. Unless you're absolutely desperate to run a particular piece of Windows-based software on your PowerBook, it doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

#3 User is offline   ELSELS 

• Pip

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

View PostTyphoon14, on 08 January 2011 - 06:14 AM, said:

Virtual PC 7 would be your best choice. 6 is older, and the other two will not run on your system.

We need to be clear here, Macs with Intel CPUs are fully hardware-compatible with Windows, Windows is able to send code directly to the CPU and have it understood, just like on any other Windows PC. Windows on a PowerPC-based Mac is a totally different story. The CPU architecture is completely different, and it cannot understand any of the instructions Windows sends to it. Programs like Virtual PC have to translate every single instruction from an x86 to a PowerPC instruction. This makes Windows on PowerPC Macs abysmally slow. I'm talking low-end Pentium II levels of slow. Additionally, the emulation is not perfect, and a number of applications will simply not run.

What I'm getting at here is that it will not be a good experience. Unless you're absolutely desperate to run a particular piece of Windows-based software on your PowerBook, it doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

Thanks for your advice, suggestions,help...and insight.. :)

Appreciate it..

Have a nice day,

God Bless,
Ed

#4 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

please have patience and be prepared for a new meaning of slowness when you VPC windows on the G4.

velly velly slow.

#5 User is offline   MasterAnimus 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hello

I have the same problem but in my case.

I really don't remember what the OS is, but the PC is a Power Book G4, model is A1138.

At any case, the OS crashed and was hoping that how can i repair it or can i format it and install windows 7 or 8.

Any help will be grateful.

Thank you,

MA

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users