• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:01 AM

Post your comments for How to customize a Magic Trackpad here

#2 User is offline   Danielsw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

In the "Step 5" screenshot I see a "Middleclick" predefined function. If that effectively gives the trackpad three button mouse functionality, I want to give this combo a try with Luxology Modo.

I love the multi-touch gestures and the feel of the trackpad itself, otherwise.

#3 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

Good article. This could be quite useful to many, but Expose, show desktop and application switcher are already gestures. I might check it out.

#4 User is offline   WhiteKnight 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

Funny, but I've always hated track pads until I got this one. I purchased this thing due to carpal tunnel in my right hand. Not only does it make left-handed mousing possible, but I've found I like the device better than my rodents. If you haven't tried one of these things, give it a try. You may be surprised.

#5 User is offline   bpeacock22 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

Yes yes yes. I highly recommend BetterTouchTool. When the trackpad came out, I lamented on these forums how I wish I could do other things and a savvy user pointed me to this. I couldn't live without this tool, and yes, I donated to the developer.

I have 5 finger gestures for sleeping my Mac, 4 fingers for swapping between spaces, expose, etc. 3 fingers for changing iTunes tracks no matter where I'm at on my Mac.

I prefer to have the options menu in System Preferences than the Menu Bar and it was a bit buggy getting it there, despite the button that is supposed to automatically change all that. Other than that, I have no complaints.

#6 User is offline   yomacdaddy 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

BetterTouchTool is a fantastic utility for the Magic Mouse also. I use it constantly to show Spaces. This is the utility that Apple forgot. They should buy it from the developer (he is a college student in Germany) and reward his excellent work.

#7 User is offline   DonaldMichaelKraig 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

I have been telling everyone about the advantages of the great BTT. I use it with a Magic Mouse. One of the great advantages with the mouse is that you can replace using clicks with (adjustable) light taps. This is much easier on the tiny muscles of the hand and wrist. I'm never sore after a long day of use.

#8 User is offline   BoxOfSnoo 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:59 AM

I love my Magic Trackpad and BTT. The one thing I am missing is a drag lock - I use 3-finger dragging but sometimes when you have to drag something across the screen you run out of space!

#9 User is offline   flybynight 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

Just a note that some of the images in this article are barely readable. Looks like they were over-compressed. Usually not a problem on this site.

#10 User is offline   linkman 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

I really really really wish Apple would release drivers so I can run a Magic Trackpad on my Dell at work (WinXP). The best pointing/clicking/dragging device I have ever used is on my wife's MBP, but I only get a tiny slice of that timeshare at home. Apple would sell truckloads of these things and they would barely take a nibble out of sales of Macs.

Or does anyone know a way to get the MT to work on Windows without using a Mac or hackintosh? I've searched all over and even grilled an Apple rep in a Best Buy to no avail.

#11 User is offline   SelenaH 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Seems a bit unfair not to mention Jitouch which has been around for a while. Jitouch

#12 User is offline   pinkgun 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

View PostSelenaH, on 17 January 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

Seems a bit unfair not to mention Jitouch which has been around for a while. Jitouch

Though most of Jitouch's functions don't work at the moment -- at least not on my computer (new Air). They've been 'working on an update' for ages it seems.

#13 User is offline   SelenaH 

• Pip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

View Postpinkgun, on 17 January 2011 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostSelenaH, on 17 January 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

Though most of Jitouch's functions don't work at the moment -- at least not on my computer (new Air). They've been 'working on an update' for ages it seems.

All the functions have been working fine for me for the past 4 months. That's a pity it doesn't work for you, it's been excellent and I'd hate to do without it.

#14 User is offline   Coolnevaun 

• PipPip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

I love my Magic Trackpad, there is one annoyance I have however is that it seems sensitive to not only touch but to shadows. When I hover my hand over the trackpad or reach over it, it inadvertantly clicks, swipes based on the motion above it without actually touching the thing. I guess thats why they called it magic.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users