• Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

Post your comments for Verizon dishes on iPhone hotspot pricing here

#2 User is offline   Macnutjohn 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

And so it begins for VZW iPhone customers. Looks like they are staying true to form. $20 here, another $20 there..........typical Verizon.

#3 User is offline   Quix 

• PipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

AT&T's tethering plan completely sucks, but paying an extra $20/month to connect my iPad through my iPhone (devices I'm *not* using simultaneously, and I'm paying for a data plan already) is absurd.

AT&T and Verizon: you both fail.

#4 User is offline   KyleMaher 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

View PostMacnutjohn, on 25 January 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

And so it begins for VZW iPhone customers. Looks like they are staying true to form. $20 here, another $20 there..........typical Verizon.

Wow, are you really that ignorant? Verizon is charging a reasonable fee for a service that AT&T doesn't even offer!

Verizon:
$30 unlimited data on phone
$20 2GB WiFi tethering for 5 devices
====
$50 total

AT&T:
$45 2GB data combined between phone and 1 usb connection

So for $5 more than AT&T you get WAAAAAY more data usage on the phone, and wireless tethering on 5 devices. AT&T can't match it.

I have Verizon, you have AT&T... Who is really getting nickel and dimed?

#5 User is offline   flybynight 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

This actually doesn't sound too bad. I like that the hotspot has it's own data pool. That seems more fair than AT&T's tethering option, which charges you an extra $20, but still limits you to the same 2Gb of data that you started with.

#6 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Glad I stuck with my AT&T unlimited plan. Now, I need to come up with a reason I actually need tethering.

Nope. Can't think of a reason.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#7 User is offline   golgo1313 

• PipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

a perfect reason to jailbreak and install mywi.

#8 User is offline   DavidRapson 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

I was thinking of jailbreaking an iPod touch and use it for tethering. Can anyone tell me the downside of this? Upside is that with unlimited wifi my iPad is always gonna be online and it's cheap.

#9 User is offline   JoshPrice 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

its the same price on my android phone

#10 User is offline   jibberjabber 

• PipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostDavidRapson, on 25 January 2011 - 03:46 PM, said:

I was thinking of jailbreaking an iPod touch and use it for tethering. Can anyone tell me the downside of this? Upside is that with unlimited wifi my iPad is always gonna be online and it's cheap.

Tethering to what? The idea of tethering is to use the phone's 3G connection when a traditional network (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) isn't available. If you jailbreak an iPod touch, you have no 3G to bother tethering with. Unless you have a device with no wi-fi and want to share the iPod's wi-fi connection. Seems easier to buy a USB dongle, though.

Do you mean your iPad has unlimited 3G data? You could conceivably jb the iPad and use it as a hotspot or tether it.

#11 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Jailbreaking an iPod Touch to tether makes absolutely no sense! It's not like the iPod Touch has cellular data! An iPhone, maybe. An iPod Touch? Makes no sense at all!

#12 User is offline   JohnathanFogle 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

View Postjibberjabber, on 25 January 2011 - 04:46 PM, said:

Tethering to what? The idea of tethering is to use the phone's 3G connection when a traditional network (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) isn't available. If you jailbreak an iPod touch, you have no 3G to bother tethering with. Unless you have a device with no wi-fi and want to share the iPod's wi-fi connection. Seems easier to buy a USB dongle, though.

Do you mean your iPad has unlimited 3G data? You could conceivably jb the iPad and use it as a hotspot or tether it.

@jibberjabber you beat me to it. Because I hate when people comment just about comments and don't actually say anything pertaining to the article, I do like the idea of having a separate pool of data for tethering purposes. But I'll stick with my unlimited data on AT&T and mobile hotspot with MyWi. Long live 4.1.

#13 User is offline   SamElphick 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

you guys need to move to Australia - free internet tethering on 4/5 carriers, and i would say the mobile hotspots would be the same... :-)

#14 User is offline   MikePetonic 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

Helllooooooo jailbreak and MyWi.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users