Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Microsoft word 2011 - Impossible to convert to PDF with hyperlinks? - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Microsoft word 2011 - Impossible to convert to PDF with hyperlinks?

#1 User is offline   bailey84 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

I unfortunately created my first ebook using microsoft word 2011 for mac. Everything was great until conversion. I tried save as to PDF, print to PDF, adobe createpdf, nitropdf, some online services, and even PC's. I have asked dozens of bloggers who make ebooks and no one can figure it out.

I can't convert to PDF and retain hyperlinks.

The closest I have come is to send it to someone with a PC and word 2010. They can convert it perfectly almost with hyperlinks but when they send me the PDF and I open it on the MAC, The colors are different and their are black boxes around all the hyperlinks.

Anyone know of any solutions? I was suppose to launch this week :(

#2 User is offline   zarmanto 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

I think the real solution for this is (unfortunately) buy a copy of Adobe's Acrobat Pro product. In Acrobat, the hyperlinks can be customized in various ways (to include dealing with those black borders more elegantly) but I don't think that any of the free products support embedded hyperlinks -- and the "print-to-PDF" tools built into Word and Mac OS X are really intended to be exactly as advertised: optimized for printing, not digital distribution.
- 24" iMac: 2.33GHz Core2 Duo/3GB RAM/2TB HD/GeForce 7600 w/256MB VRAM
- Hackintosh: 2.3GHz AMD Quad-Core/4GB RAM/multiple HDs/GeForce 8600 GTS w/256MB
- Verizon iPhone 4
- AppleTV (2nd Gen)
- 1TB Time Capsule
- 80GB iPod Classic

#3 User is offline   craigsheppard 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

Hey! Just open the document in Apple's Pages, then save as a PDF. The links will be included. Also, Pages does a much better job of embedding graphics, as well as a much smaller final .pdf output filesize.

Craig

#4 User is offline   margery 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

I'm having the same problem in Word 2011 for Mac. I have tried both "Save As" and Printing to a PDF, including an Acrobat PDF. I even tried going from Acrobat Pro and it wouldn't even recognize the file. Nothing works. Has anyone figured this out?
I don't want to use another document processing program because there is a lot of formatting in my document.

This post has been edited by margery: 09 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

#5 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

open your Word.doc.

File > Print

when Print dialogue box comes up.. select the PDF drop down on the lower left and select Save As PDF.
your links should all be just fine in the resulting PDF.

it's a feature <_<

This post has been edited by macnuke: 09 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

#6 User is offline   KunalMankodiya 

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

I am not sure, if it is too late. However, i can find only one solution. The online converter "http://www.convertfiles.com" worked great for me. I had my thesis generated in Mac ms word 2011 with lots of hyperlinks. All of them retained in converted PDF

Try it out,
Kunal

#7 User is offline   mattlesak 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Open Word (for me it's Word 2011) -> Select Preferences ->Output and Sharing -> Print -> Printing Options -> Check "Update links"

When I print to PDF, my links work. I made sure all the hyperlinks had the full URL -> http://server.domain.root/content.

Hope this helps!

#8 User is offline   jimmac00 

• Pip

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

View Postmacnuke, on 09 December 2011 - 10:30 AM, said:

open your Word.do
File > Print

when Print dialogue box comes up.. select the PDF drop down on the lower left and select Save As PDF.

it's a feature <_<

IT WORKS! IT'S ALIVE! You are a GENIUS!

I have been fighting with a newsletter I wrote on my 2011 MacBook Pro using Word for Mac 2011 in which I placed a number of hyperlinks. I was saving it to a PDF file so I could send it out to all our members of CMA. I could not figure out why the number of hyperlinks to web pages would not open but the email addresses would. I followed all of the helps on Word to no avail. I have tried a bunch of the recommendations on the forum and was really getting ready to give up because of the posts saying "IT CAN"T BE DONE ON A MAC"!
AND THEN ..... YOU APPEARED IN THE LONG LIST OF TRY THIS!
SO FAR, YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKED AND I THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.

#9 User is offline   Eediot 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

View Postjimmac00, on 29 February 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

View Postmacnuke, on 09 December 2011 - 10:30 AM, said:

open your Word.do
File > Print

it's a feature <_<

IT WORKS! IT'S ALIVE! You are a GENIUS!

I have been fighting with a newsletter I wrote on my 2011 MacBook Pro using Word for Mac 2011 in which I placed a number of hyperlinks. I was saving it to a PDF file so I could send it out to all our members of CMA. I could not figure out why the number of hyperlinks to web pages would not open but the email addresses would. I followed all of the helps on Word to no avail. I have tried a bunch of the recommendations on the forum and was really getting ready to give up because of the posts saying "IT CAN"T BE DONE ON A MAC"!
AND THEN ..... YOU APPEARED IN THE LONG LIST OF TRY THIS!
SO FAR, YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKED AND I THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.

Wish this worked for me. Being trying for a couple of days to solve this problem and thought this might finally be the answer, but no. Following exactly the same steps and my PDF's links still don't work. :-)
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Steve

#10 User is offline   spheatherm 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostEediot, on 20 March 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Wish this worked for me. Being trying for a couple of days to solve this problem and thought this might finally be the answer, but no. Following exactly the same steps and my PDF's links still don't work. :-)
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Steve

It doesn't work for me either. Save As, Print, Update Links in Prefs, from a new file, from a converted file from Windows... nothing.

#11 User is offline   Boemoeloe 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

Got the same problem on a document:
All links included via +k and get a new name are not working in the PDF, regardless which method of PDF-generation I choose.

Only thing that works well was opening the Word-document in OpenOffice and generate the PDF.
I see no changes in formats or whatever, but cannot give any warranty for that.
I only had a small document with 5 pages, so it was easy to check this.

greetz
Boemoeloe

#12 User is offline   wthorpe 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

I have the same problem. I have hyperlinked table of contents to other parts of my document...when I try to convert to PDF, hyperlinks are non working. Tried all the methods above, the only one that worked was going to Pages and then exporting to PDF. It works but the final document doesn't look as nice as a straight shot from MS word. Any update on solutions?
:unsure:

#13 User is offline   connorhartnett 

• Pip

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

I found a solution that works for me:

Upload your doc to Google Documents. Then when opened in Google Documents: File > Download As > PDF

Was having this problem for the longest time. Nothing listed above solved my problems, unfortunately. However, tried this and it worked!

Best of luck

#14 User is offline   slamsam 

• Pip

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I found a simple solution in at least Lion (10.7.4).

In Word, go to File > Save As > and save your file as a PDF.

Open the PDF in OS X's Preview.

Highlight a URL with your mouse and click the icon on the toolbar that resembles a pen.

From the menu that drops down, select the icon that looks like a chain link (hovering over this icon will reveal the word, "Link").

A floating menu will appear over the URL you highlighted.

Click the drop-down menu and select "URL"

Type the URL you wish to use (example: http://www.yourlink.com)

Click "Done"

Repeat this step for all of your links (a pain, I know...)

When you are finished, go to File > Duplicate. A fresh copy with your changes will appear on screen.

Now go to File > Save a Version and select where you want to save your new PDF with working links.

Finally, find the file you just saved and open it. The links should now work as intended. I can confirm the links work in Preview and in Safari.

I hope this method works for you. This was an annoying problem that Microsoft should really fix...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users