Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple revamps MacBook Pro line, adds Thunderbolt port - Macworld Forums

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple revamps MacBook Pro line, adds Thunderbolt port

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

Post your comments for Apple revamps MacBook Pro line, adds Thunderbolt port here

#2 User is offline   macless 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:02 AM

OK, I want one!

#3 User is offline   tfrogh 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:11 AM

Are the SSD options like the Air's storage chip/devices or traditional. I hope to never have a traditional HD again in a laptop.

Been saving for a loaded Air. Seems a 13" will be a better choice. Yes the air is lighter but at $2200 it made my wallet a lot lighter too.

#4 User is offline   technologist 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:19 AM

Co-developed with Intel (which calls the technology LightPeak[sic])
"Light Peak" (with a space) was just the codename.

Intel now calls the technology Thunderbolt
http://www.intel.com...rbolt/index.htm
And now a word from our lawyers.

#5 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:20 AM

This is everything I've wanted in a laptop. No more Mac Pros for me. Come on IRS!
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#6 User is offline   jpmhughes 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:30 AM

"Been saving for a loaded Air. Seems a 13" will be a better choice. Yes the air is lighter but at $2200 it made my wallet a lot lighter too"

Until the New Air comes out! :-)

#7 User is offline   ggore 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

Typical Apple refresh, a slightly better processor on the low end model; always with on-board graphics that is at least 2 generations back from current models and capabilities; the bare minimum of RAM that will run the OS and maybe an app or two without slowing down the whole thing; a new port that might have peripherals available for it 3-4 years from now when this machine is obsolete; touting this new port as being 12-20-times faster than USB or Firewire, when in real-world use it might be actually twice as fast; and touting battery life of 7 hours, when that is only achievable if the brightness is turned down to the last possible level before the screen goes dark, and Wifi and Bluetooth are turned off. The best way to actually get those numbers of battery life is to UNINSTALL Flash. I did this on my Air and it now easily gets 6-7 hours of battery life. The actual difference was amazing!

#8 User is offline   Argelius 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:42 AM

Sigh...was hoping for something really new, rather than mere processor boost.
Guess I'll hold on to my old MBP until a real design change comes along...

#9 User is offline   macwmaurice 

• PipPip

Hopefully, this is the last time Apple changes connectors. We had mini-VGA, mini-DVI, mini-Display port, and now Thunderbolt, and we have to buy conversion cables again and again...

#10 User is offline   ReeceTarbert 

• PipPip

Not to nitpick, but a bandwidth of 10 Gbit/s it's not enough for DisplayPort 1.2 (which requires 21.6 Gbit/s). In fact, it's not even quite enough for DisplayPort 1.0 (at 10.8 Gbit/s) and HDMI 1.3 (at 10.2 Gbit/s).

RT.

#11 User is offline   rogtuf 

• Pip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

View Postmacless, on 24 February 2011 - 06:02 AM, said:

OK, I want one!

Sorry I don't. It looks like it still has the wrist cutting front edge and the same touch pad as the predecessor. I sent mine back as the touch to click didn't work about 1 in 20 times, which was very frustrating!

#12 User is offline   megatrick 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:51 AM

You guys are in bad shape if you don't think these updates are awesome. Put it in context. You just got FOUR cores on a 15" and 17" -- not to mention all the other additions.

If you were about to update, your value just about doubled.

#13 User is offline   AbrahamFigueroa 

• Pip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

These do look pretty impressive! But I can't--shan't--complain. I got last year's model and it still feels new!

#14 User is offline   looper 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

Do we know yet if Thunderbolt hard drives would be bootable on these machines? (If not, the capability might be added later, as for example Firewire was introduced with the 1999 Power Mac G3 but wasn't bootable until later models.) I keep Macs a _long_ time (I'm typing this on a 2006 24" iMac, with no plans to upgrade for some years yet), and since the only current Mac with an easily-upgradable internal hard drive is the Mac Pro, I'd probably want to switch the boot drive on any other machine to a larger external one before replacing the machine altogether (I'm about to migrate to a 1TB FW800 drive from the iMac's 250GB stock internal drive).

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users