• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:31 AM

Post your comments for Photo basics: How to compose a photograph here

#2 User is offline   musterion 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:36 AM

Also remember that digital photos are cheap. You can take multiple shots and throw away the ones that are not good, or have no potential for manipulation. For example, that last shot of the old building. You could take several shots putting it in the right side and the left side of the frame.

#3 User is offline   nipa 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

View Postmusterion, on 25 February 2011 - 07:36 AM, said:

Also remember that digital photos are cheap. You can take multiple shots and throw away the ones that are not good, or have no potential for manipulation. For example, that last shot of the old building. You could take several shots putting it in the right side and the left side of the frame.

I am not so sure about that. When I compose a complex shot, I try sometimes to think that I have only a couple of frames left to shoot - this makes me much more careful. Multiple shots of course is great when you shoot action.

#4 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

View Postnipa, on 25 February 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

View Postmusterion, on 25 February 2011 - 07:36 AM, said:

Also remember that digital photos are cheap. You can take multiple shots ....

I am not so sure about that. When I compose a complex shot, I try sometimes to think that I have only a couple of frames left to shoot - this makes me much more careful. Multiple shots of course is great when you shoot action.

It's true, sometimes having options is nice--using alternative shots to position the shanty in the last photo, rather than using the crop tool, gains you additional resolution since you're not tossing away pixels. And if you're using the camera at-hand, often a phone camera, then you won't necessarily have a lot of resolution to begin with. On the other hand, if you're taking leisurely photos and have time to compose and consider your subject, I'd choose quality over quantity, in the photos I do snap.

#5 User is offline   abovofoto 

• Pip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

Rule one: Open your eyes
Rule two: decide what story you want the photo to tell
Rule three: there are no rules

How to compose that photo, you decide, that is what makes it art!

#6 User is offline   MEPace 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

A little dyslexic in #6: "The top photo shows an image that has good balance—the bird in the far lower left corner balances the two birds in the upper right. But when we delete the bird in the left corner in the lower photo, the image falls out of balance."

#7 User is offline   Mark Neufeld 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:34 AM

Thanks! There is some very good advice for the beginner in this article - and even if you're familiar with most of it, it's nice to be reminded.

#8 User is offline   GregoryBuford 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

As a budding photographer, I found these basic tips very useful. When it comes down to it, breaking the rules is definitely important to create a shot that is distinct and unique from anything else out there. But to break the rules, you first need to understand what the rules are. Thanks for pointing these out in a clear and concise way.

-gregory a. buford md facs
www.beforliving.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users