#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

Post your comments for Search for files by name here

#2 User is offline   Scholle McFarland 

• Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

You can also use the Command-Shift-F command (instead of Command-F) to find a file by name. See the article "Develop your Finder search savvy" at http://www.macworld....ndersearch.html

#3 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

View PostScholle McFarland, on 02 March 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

You can also use the Command-Shift-F command (instead of Command-F) to find a file by name. See the article "Develop your Finder search savvy."

Clearly I need to spend more time reading our site. ;)

#4 User is offline   Scholle McFarland 

• Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Or talking to me. ;)

#5 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

View PostChris Breen, on 02 March 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostScholle McFarland, on 02 March 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

You can also use the Command-Shift-F command (instead of Command-F) to find a file by name. See the article "Develop your Finder search savvy."

Clearly I need to spend more time reading our site. ;)

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thank you!

I am *so* tired of having to click on "File Name" when searching. For years I've been annoyed by the default search by "contents" and could never seem to find a way to change the default, as the questioner in the article describes. This is BIG news for me, much more valuable than the iPad stuff.... this was a daily drag. Now it's Cmd-Shft-F for finding!

THANK YOU!

#6 User is offline   flybynight 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

I also use "Find Any File" - it reminds me of the good ol' Sherlock days. Our Leopard Server seems to not be able to index reliably, so we find nothing or only partial results with the built-in find or spotlight. Find Any File does it with brute force, rather than indexing, so it is a little bit slower, but work rather well. I believe I also found that from an article here on Macworld.

#7 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

For those thinking, "Wait, Shift-Command-F IS in the article!" I added it after Scholle's comment here. It's a great tip and I'm deeply ashamed for missing it.

#8 User is offline   thom22 

• PipPip

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

find ~ -name "*insert search string here*" FTW :-D

#9 User is offline   wombat1010 

• PipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:33 AM

"(I additionally add the condition to show System files. You can too by choosing Other from the Kind pop-up menu, entering System in the search field, enabling the In Menu option next to the System Files entry, and clicking OK. Now just choose System Files from the Kind pop-up menu, change the second pop-up menu to read Are Included, and save your search.)"

I tired several times to understand this but failed. Can anyone else describe it a little differently to help?

Thanks

#10 User is offline   robswitzer 

• Pip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

ALFRED!

#11 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

View Postwombat1010, on 03 March 2011 - 03:33 AM, said:

"(I additionally add the condition to show System files. You can too by choosing Other from the Kind pop-up menu, entering System in the search field, enabling the In Menu option next to the System Files entry, and clicking OK. Now just choose System Files from the Kind pop-up menu, change the second pop-up menu to read Are Included, and save your search.)"

I tired several times to understand this but failed. Can anyone else describe it a little differently to help?

Thanks

1. Press Command-F to expose the Find window.

2. Click the Plus button next to the Save button in the upper right corner for the window.

3. From the first pop-up menu that appears (marked Kind) choose Other.

4. In the sheet that appears enter "System" in the search field.

5. You'll see at least one result -- System files. Enable the checkbox next to it (the one in the In Menu column).

6. Click OK.

Now when you click on the Kind pop-up menu you'll see the additional option to search for System Files. To view System Files in your results, choose System Files from the first pop-up menu and Are Included from the second pop-up menu.

#12 User is offline   wombat1010 

• PipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

View PostChris Breen, on 03 March 2011 - 04:36 PM, said:

View Postwombat1010, on 03 March 2011 - 03:33 AM, said:

Thanks

1. Press Command-F to expose the Find window.

2. Click the Plus button next to the Save button in the upper right corner for the window.

3. From the first pop-up menu that appears (marked Kind) choose Other.

4. In the sheet that appears enter "System" in the search field.

5. You'll see at least one result -- System files. Enable the checkbox next to it (the one in the In Menu column).

6. Click OK.

Now when you click on the Kind pop-up menu you'll see the additional option to search for System Files. To view System Files in your results, choose System Files from the first pop-up menu and Are Included from the second pop-up menu.

Perfect! Thanks!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users