• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Post your comments for Review: The iPad 2 here

#2 User is offline   jamesfritz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Does the VGA adapter support video mirroring on the iPad 2?

While it is nice to have HDMI as an option, most projectors are still VGA.

#3 User is offline   Jason Snell 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

View Postjamesfritz, on 09 March 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

I didn't try the VGA adapter, but it failed with the composite and component adapters. My guess is no.

#4 User is offline   KAdamsInCO 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

I installed the iOS 4.3 update today and am very happy to have my orientation lock back. Safari web browsing seems a bit faster, but not as blazing as the benchmarks show. I will wait to make a final decision until after I have actually used an iPad 2 in the store, but my hunch is that I will probably stick with my iPad until the third generation shows up. The cameras are of minimal value to me, but the "lighter, thinner" aspect may change my mind.

This post has been edited by KAdamsInCo: 09 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

#5 User is offline   stx66 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

Does the Verizon iPad2 have an activation fee? I believe the AT&T version does not.

#6 User is offline   don731 

• PipPip

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

View PostJason Snell, on 09 March 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

I didn't try the VGA adapter, but it failed with the composite and component adapters. My guess is no.

I would also like a firm answer to this question. Apple's webpage on iPad 2 features definitely says that mirroring works with either the new HDMI adapter or the VGA adapter. Quote: "Video mirroring is new for iPad and for every app, web page, presentation, video, movie, or photo you want to show a big audience. Just plug in the Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (sold separately) and your HDTV or projector becomes a bigger version of your iPad. One plug, that’s it. Everyone sees what’s on your display — even when you rotate iPad from portrait to landscape or zoom in and out on photos." unquote

#7 User is offline   BRussell33 

• PipPip

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

jamesfritz: Over at Tidbits they reported that the VGA adapter does support mirroring on iPad 2, but I haven't yet seen this confirmed elsewhere.

#8 User is offline   WhiteKnight 

• PipPip

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

I can't say as how there's anything here for me. Cameras mean nothing to me (I don't use face time on my iPhone, either) and smaller/thinner rapidly diminishes when you add a case. Faster is nice, but I haven't noticed my iPad being sluggish. I'm primarily interested in the new iOS 4.3. Faster will become more valuable if someone can create a version of Word/Pages and Excel/Numbers that allow me to truly collaborate using the device (including maintaining styles, allowing track changes, handle complex functions) and does it with Dropbox compatibility. That is the only thing holding me back from being a full-time iPad user, but it is a killer.

#9 User is offline   bschreck 

• Pip

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

@Jason Snell: Very enjoyable and thorough review, thanks!

However, I still have one burning question about the iPad 2: Has the display's brightness changed at all? Specifically, is the display now able to go dimmer? I frequently use my iPad in low-light conditions and find the lowest brightness to be uncomfortably bright. I'm surprised I don't hear others echo this complaint more often -- is it just me?

#10 User is offline   Nyhthawk 

• PipPip

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

MISSING FEATURE: an optional system-wide white dot that shows where you are touching the screen. Otherwise, how do viewers follow your presentations?

#11 User is offline   lightnquick 

• PipPip

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

I've exercised utter discipline now for a year, and NOT bought the first-iteration product, determined to strike when the second version was out. But now: rumors that, maybe, the iPad cycle gets shifted to fall, and that, maybe, the higher resolution display will appear in the 2.5th coming of the device... I know, I've fallen prey to the 'the-next-device-is-even-better' trap. Any thoughts out there? Does anyone else consider another 6 months of flagellation?

#12 User is offline   migiman 

• PipPip

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

Confirmation. The rear facing camera is the same as the one on the 4th gen. iPod Touch. While I would never buy an iOS device solely based on the camera, I'm very bummed that Apple thinks this is acceptable on a $500+ device. Why is the iPhone the only iOS device with a 5MP rear facing camera!? The iPad 2 - with a bigger screen - would be a pretty good platform for iOS based photography and photo editing. Instead, with it's inferior camera, you will need to import photos from an iPhone (or some other camera) in order to take full advantage of many of the cool iOS photography apps.

I don't want/need another phone, but I would like to buy an iPad with a good camera and be able to edit directly on that device. I'd like one iOS device with a big screen that can be used to MAKE nice images - not just view them.

#13 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

View PostNyhthawk, on 09 March 2011 - 08:47 PM, said:

MISSING FEATURE: an optional system-wide white dot that shows where you are touching the screen. Otherwise, how do viewers follow your presentations?

Yep. The jailbreak app, DisplayOut, offers that very feature and it's one I use when giving iPad presentations. Hope Apple adds it. In the meantime I await the next jailbreak.

#14 User is offline   BadDude 

• PipPip

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

View PostJason Snell, on 09 March 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

That would be so silly, as most presenters use dataprojectors, not TVs.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users