Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Thunderbolt in iMac? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thunderbolt in iMac? When will apple add thunderbolt to their other models of macs?

#1 User is online   tjdoerfel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

When will apple add thunderbolt to their other models of macs? Will they ever? I want to get an iMac for my next mac. my 2007 macbook has been the best and its still going strong even after a full cup of hot tea dumped all over it and it was out for a month then started working again! I'm a musician and would love to get that kind of speed for transferring files, editing video and such. I dont want to buy a new mac and then to have an upgrade come out that has thunderbolt and im stuck without it. anyone hear anything?

#2 User is offline   dcpics 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

View Posttjdoerfel, on 14 March 2011 - 07:23 AM, said:

When will apple add thunderbolt to their other models of macs? Will they ever? I want to get an iMac for my next mac. my 2007 macbook has been the best and its still going strong even after a full cup of hot tea dumped all over it and it was out for a month then started working again! I'm a musician and would love to get that kind of speed for transferring files, editing video and such. I dont want to buy a new mac and then to have an upgrade come out that has thunderbolt and im stuck without it. anyone hear anything?

The best guess would be in the next refresh of each model. When will that be? No one knows for sure but macrumors.com tracks it pretty well in their buyer's guide. Give it a look for a general idea.

#3 User is offline   twl845 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

View Postdcpics, on 14 March 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

The best guess would be in the next refresh of each model. When will that be? No one knows for sure but macrumors.com tracks it pretty well in their buyer's guide. Give it a look for a general idea.

From reading other Apple forums, I think Thunderbolt will be included in the new Lion OS, due this Summer. There is also an upgrade coming very soon for the iMac. If you're going to buy an iMac, hold out until the Lion OS comes out. I am. ;)

#4 User is offline   dcpics 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

View Posttwl845, on 16 March 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

From reading other Apple forums, I think Thunderbolt will be included in the new Lion OS, due this Summer. There is also an upgrade coming very soon for the iMac. If you're going to buy an iMac, hold out until the Lion OS comes out. I am. ;)

Thunderbolt is a hardware implementation. OS does not have a lot to do with it. Since Thunderbolt is already on the MB Pros running Snow Leopard I don't see why waiting for Lion would change things.

I still say, expect Thunderbolt on the next refresh of the iMac which is due for an update soon -- whether Lion is out yet or not.

#5 User is offline   twl845 

• Pip

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

View Postdcpics, on 17 March 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

View Posttwl845, on 16 March 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

From reading other Apple forums, I think Thunderbolt will be included with the new Lion OS, due this Summer. There is also an upgrade coming very soon for the iMac. If you're going to buy an iMac, hold out until the Lion OS comes out. I am. ;)

Thunderbolt is a hardware implementation. OS does not have a lot to do with it. Since Thunderbolt is already on the MB Pros running Snow Leopard I don't see why waiting for Lion would change things.

I still say, expect Thunderbolt on the next refresh of the iMac which is due for an update soon -- whether Lion is out yet or not.
Sorry, I meant to say with the new Lion. But I'm sure your saying at the upcoming refresh is right. I'm still waiting until the iMac has the lion to buy. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users