Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Would you realize if you lost your smartphone? - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you realize if you lost your smartphone?

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

Post your comments for Would you realize if you lost your smartphone? here

#2 User is offline   aestival 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

The odds are very good of finding a lost iPhone using Find My Phone -- the odds of getting your phone back are only poor if your phone is *stolen*. That's a pretty critical distinction for those of us who don't live in environments crawling with pickpockets and other thieves (wherever that might be).

#3 User is offline   Kennethfcooper 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Interesting survey. If you asked me how long it would take for me to miss my phone, that question would make me aware of my phone and I would probably underestimate the time it would take. Unless, I tried to compensate for my immediate awareness by extending my estimate. The question invites overanalyzing the issue.
My point is that I am wondering how valid the YouGov survey is. Even if it was not skewed by its sponsor being a security company.

#4 User is offline   rob53 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

Only 28% of 18-24 would notice if the phone was gone within 5 minutes??? Ok, my younger daughter is now 26 but it's attached to her body so she would notice it was gone in 5 seconds!

I do agree with the comment about your wife's phone. Mine is the same way but she's not used to having a portable phone and the one she has is not a smartphone so she doesn't use it that much. Finding one of the the house phones that's off its base in less than 15 minutes can be a challenge.

#5 User is offline   MerryMacr 

• Pip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Read this article and so looked for iPhone expecting to find it in my handbag. Not there. Frantic search in my home. No joy. Near cardiac arrest. Clicked on "Find My IPhone." Pointed me to my car. Found it on car floor where I dropped it. Hooray for "Find My iPhone."

#6 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

View Postrob53, on 01 April 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

Only 28% of 18-24 would notice if the phone was gone within 5 minutes??? Ok, my younger daughter is now 26 but it's attached to her body so she would notice it was gone in 5 seconds!

I do agree with the comment about your wife's phone. Mine is the same way but she's not used to having a portable phone and the one she has is not a smartphone so she doesn't use it that much. Finding one of the the house phones that's off its base in less than 15 minutes can be a challenge.

Get a piece of string or cord of some sort, then tie one end to the base and the other to the handset.

#7 User is offline   DanaLea73 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

View Postbastion, on 01 April 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

Finding one of the the house phones that's off its base in less than 15 minutes can be a challenge.

Get a piece of string or cord of some sort, then tie one end to the base and the other to the handset.

um, excuse me if I'm missing the point here, but isn't that defeating the purpose of having a cordless phone?

This post has been edited by DanaLea73: 01 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

#8 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:56 AM

View PostDanaLea73, on 01 April 2011 - 05:42 PM, said:

View Postbastion, on 01 April 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

Finding one of the the house phones that's off its base in less than 15 minutes can be a challenge.

um, excuse me if I'm missing the point here, but isn't that defeating the purpose of having a cordless phone?

The point was that I was trying to be intentionally silly.

The sad thing is, I've seen comparable "solutions" to problems not only suggested by actually adopted.

I haven't looked recently, but it's my impression that a common feature of cordless phones is the ability to use the base station to trigger the handset to make a sound, such that you can figure out where it got left this time. If it's a real issue for the prior poster, and their current phones don't have this feature, I'd look into replacing it. If you value your time, those 15-minute blocks add up fast.

#9 User is offline   Andr 

• PipPip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:57 AM

I keep my iPhone in my pocket. I never leave it… ever. I waited 2 months for it, and I finally got it. I have it all the time.

#10 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

I don't understand how people "drop" things and don't notice. I also don't understand why people think it's ok to walk around with their purses and bags wide open? It's easy for stuff to fall out or get taken.

#11 User is offline   Martian 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Between 62.5% & 93.75% of all surveys are bogus

#12 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

I have a hard time deciding how I might respond to the survey. I'd notice the phone missing immediately if stolen while I was using it, say as a mobile hotspot or something (often in the other room). Or if it was time to go to work or go home, when I always grab it to take with me. But I actually work at work (thus increasing productivitiy)and so my smartphone is silenced or off for that 9 hours of every day. And Sometimes I just leave it at home, so it could be stolen while I'm working and not be noticed for a LONG time. And I also turn it off when I go out dining or with friends--because friends in real life trump friends sending twatters or texts. So maybe an evening could go by without noticing the theft/loss. So the time would range between 1 minute to 9 hours, depending upon circumstance. How did the survey weight this? What conditions were set?

+1 @ Martian.

This post has been edited by TeaEarleGreyHot: 03 April 2011 - 01:48 AM

#13 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:16 AM

View Posthayesk, on 02 April 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

I don't understand how people "drop" things and don't notice. I also don't understand why people think it's ok to walk around with their purses and bags wide open? It's easy for stuff to fall out or get taken.

Open purses are the analog-world equivalent of trivial passwords, and they happen for the same reason: Until something actually happens to make them regret it, convenience is more on most peoples' minds than security.

Also, while the headline talks about "smartphones," the body of the article isn't that specific; in some places the wording implies that the numbers apply to all cellphones. Since a lot of modern phones are quite tiny, I have no problem believing people don't notice their absence.

#14 User is offline   DTapley 

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

Ummm.... I assumed this was an April-Fool's story...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users