#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:31 AM

Post your comments for Bento 1.1.3 for iOS here

#2 User is offline   longterm 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

Your article completely misses the point of Bento.

Bento was never intended to be the premiere database app for the iPad. Instead, it's meant to be used by those who neither need a full-fledged database nor have the skills to construct a good database. Instead, it was designed or more lightweight use--to get one from A to Z without knowing the ins and uts of database construction.

If you want a powerful database on the iPad or iPhone, look to FileMaker Go, Bento's big brother. Go puts incredible power onto an iOS device, especially when the database designer has advanced FileMaker skills.

Looking to Bento to be what Go is is like looking for TextEdit to do what Pages does: both are vine apps, both have their uses.

This post has been edited by longterm: 19 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

#3 User is offline   Louis24x7 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

I disagree on one thing from your review.
I had made the same kind of mistake on my Mac database and had wanted to restore from the iPad.
All I had to do was delete my database on the desktop (located under ~/Library/Application Support/Bento)
Relaunch Bento with a new database, and re-setup sync. This in turns bring everything back from my iPad to my desktop Bento.

I agree with longerm's reply that Bento was not intended to be the premiere database app for the iPad and neiter is for the Mac.
However, I do miss the capability of having the same look and feel as my Mac's Bento library design.

One feature that I really I miss is the Calendar's integration on the iPad/iPhone version. I have created a quite elaborate form on the desktop version, and when I ported it to the iPad, I was missing that portion.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users