Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Quicksilver productivity utility gets dusted off, again - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quicksilver productivity utility gets dusted off, again

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

Post your comments for Quicksilver productivity utility gets dusted off, again here

#2 User is offline   AppleZilla 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

And in a few months it will fade away again. I've moved on to Alfred.

Plus Lion is coming.

#3 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

Using Alfred now. Just don't want to feel like I'm left standing at the altar

#4 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

LaunchBar is and was the superior choice.

#5 User is offline   HjalteM 

• Pip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

I got the final nudge when I find out that Jitkoff himself moved to LaunchBar and suggested that other QS users did the same. But I've only used it for a couple of months.
Mayne it's time to check out if QS has stopped crashing with certain plugins...

#6 User is offline   David Chartier 

• Assoc. Editor
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

I've also been using LaunchBar in the years since Quicksilver's reign, though Alfred is pretty interesting. It still doesn't do a number of things I need, but I dig that it has Quicksilver-like momentum, an open plugin architecture, and an actual way to make money and sustain itself as a business.
This isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is. - Trey Anastasio

#7 User is offline   philostein 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

View PostDavid Chartier, on 20 April 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

I've also been using LaunchBar in the years since Quicksilver's reign, though Alfred is pretty interesting. It still doesn't do a number of things I need, but I dig that it has Quicksilver-like momentum, an open plugin architecture, and an actual way to make money and sustain itself as a business.

There's ethical (and legal?) reasons why Quicksilver is free. The original author made it open source after starting to develop a similar program (QSB) for his new employer, Google. It'd be difficult to charge for something that competes with the author's subsequent software, and includes a lot of the original code. Also, the developers feel that Quicksilver should continue because it's the way computers should be used. Money comes quite far down the list of priorities (at about the same position as web hosting fees). A business model would be more stable, but these guys do it out of love, which is good enough for me - for however long it lasts…

@LoveQuicksilver

#8 User is offline   Rhywun 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

View Postd00d, on 20 April 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

LaunchBar is and was the superior choice.

I agree. I would love to see QS succeed someday (the more competition the better) but for most people, dropping the modest fee on LB is probably the better choice.

#9 User is offline   apta 

• PipPip

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

Years ago I tried LaunchBar, Quicksilver, and Butler. I settled on Butler which seemed to do more than the others, free and was intuitive to configure.

Last week I decided to try Quicksilver again and had to read the manual before I could figure out how to assign an abbreviation, a procedure vastly more complicated compared to Butler's right click method! After a few hours of use, and several QS crashes, I happily went back to Butler, http://manytricks.com/butler/

I'll give Google's QSB a try however.

#10 User is offline   melanieis 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

Does anyone know how well this will work with Lion?

I haven't tried the others, but can they really do everything QS does? I use the calculator and dictionary plugins every day. Right now I'm using it to tell me when to check on the pie I'm baking. I resize photos when I have to go fast. Always assumed that LaunchBar was just an application launcher.

#11 User is offline   pjrobertson 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

View Postmelanieis, on 19 July 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

Does anyone know how well this will work with Lion?

I haven't tried the others, but can they really do everything QS does? I use the calculator and dictionary plugins every day. Right now I'm using it to tell me when to check on the pie I'm baking. I resize photos when I have to go fast. Always assumed that LaunchBar was just an application launcher.

There are a few known issues with Quicksilver and Lion, but other than that, it works fine. You can see the known issues here:
https://github.com/q...ate=open&page=1

Or download the latest version here: http://qsapp.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users