Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Unlink Header or Footer in MS Word 2011 - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unlink Header or Footer in MS Word 2011 How to: Unlink Header or Footer in MS Word 2011

#1 User is offline   JulRip 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

I need to unlink the Header in a new section in an MS Word 2011 document. I have done this many times before in older versions of Word but I can't find the option in 2011. Here is what help says: "Click the Header and Footer tab, and then under Options, clear the Link to Previous check box and edit the headers and footers in the new section of your document."

But I don't see the word "Options". Have you ever use this feature? What am I missing?
Thanks

#2 User is offline   lsgoss 

• Pip

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

I have the same issue. I know no one has answered, have you figured it out?

#3 User is offline   JulRip 

• Pip

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

I don't have the answer but if someone does hopefully they will post it here for all to see.

#4 User is offline   Tobias 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

I insert a SECTION BREAK and get a clean header & footer. Hope this helps.

#5 User is offline   JulRip 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

View PostTobias, on 17 May 2011 - 06:47 AM, said:

I insert a SECTION BREAK and get a clean header & footer. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comment but this is how was attempting to unlink headers and footers.

#6 User is offline   drdna 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

I had the same problem until I realized that the "Header/Footer tab" referred to in all of the Help documents is not in the document itself.

Once you have typed your desired text into the Header/Footer, you can find the Header/Footer tab near the very top of the active window (It's located between "Home and Layout, Document Elements", etc.). This brings up the necessary options.

Good luck.

#7 User is offline   JulRip 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

View Postdrdna, on 17 May 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

I had the same problem until I realized that the "Header/Footer tab" referred to in all of the Help documents is not in the document itself.

Once you have typed your desired text into the Header/Footer, you can find the Header/Footer tab near the very top of the active window (It's located between "Home and Layout, Document Elements", etc.). This brings up the necessary options.

Good luck.

Maybe you know another one. The Standard and Formatting toolbars keep disappearing. To get them back I open View/Toolbars click on one of these to tun it off, go back in the same route and turn it back on.

#8 User is online   FirstHundredDays 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

View Postdrdna, on 17 May 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

Good luck.

A "Link to Previous" checkbox, which needs to get unchecked, is nowhere to be found.

#9 User is offline   JacksonKeirMcLEan 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Found it!

I created a new section, then on the header for section two, I clicked around at different elements, then I noticed that the 'tabs' changed, and one was called "headers and footers". Under this tab, there was an 'options' section, with an un-checkable 'link to previous' option.

I think it was an image box in the header that brought me to this assortment of tabs, because when I click on a text box it goes back to the old tabs.

Hope this helps! It really shouldn't be that tricky...

Jackson

#10 User is offline   chrishna70 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

OMG what a horrible "upgrade". It took me 45 minutes to figure out how to unlink my second section. You have to be in the second section header/footer, then you go to View, and under the Toolbox section, click Formatting Palette. This brings up a pop-up box with all the old buttons. There you will see the "link to previous" box that you uncheck. ARGH!!!! What a waste of time!!!!

#11 User is offline   FLJohnson 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:26 AM

I agree totally that Microsoft has hidden too many functions that are only visible if you jump through the right hoops. You can't browse around looking for familiar functions if you're not in the correct portion of the document. Regarding the unlinking a section (say Section 2) from a previous section (Section 1), as already stated, if you are in the body of the document in Section 2 and click on to the Document Elements tab on the ribbon, one sees a header and footer and page # function. One would expect to see all of the options there for changing the header in Section 2 or at least a way to navigate to those from this section of the ribbon, but NO! Even after going into the header of Section 2 (opening up the header in Section 2) nothing changes in the options of the Document Elements section. Rather, the Header and Footer tab appears (highlighted), but remember, you aren't there yet, even though it looks like you are since it is highlighted. Only by clicking the highlighted Header and Footer tab which has magically appeared on the ribbon can the options you are needing be accessed !!!! ARGHGGHHHH!!!!

#12 User is offline   dbz2001 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

1. Add a new section (continuous or new page with section break).

2. Click the header or footer to activate it. Be sure that the section number has indeed advanced.

3. Under the main View menu pulldown, select Print Layout AND "Header and Footer" toward the bottom of the pulldown

4. By doing step 3 above, a new tab appears at the top, just to the right of the home tab in the upper lefthand corner. This new tab says "Header and Footer". You have to look carefully to find it.
5. Click that "header and footer" tab and you'll see a new ribbon, with all the options.

Obvious, huh?

What a piece of donkey.

If like me you waste 45 minutes under Document elements/Header and Footer you will NEVER find this toolbar.

#13 User is offline   basyirah69 

• Pip

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yup - i was that donkey for the last 45 minutes. ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

#14 User is offline   mbpro 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Along the top ribbon, you need to have the purple "Header and Footer" menu showing and then click on the purple Header and Footer tab to reveal the options - Different First Page, Different Odd & Even Pages, Link to Previous, etc.

These options will only be visible AFTER you click on "Header and Footer" tab. You can cause the "Header and Footer" menu item to appear by double clicking in the top of the document to open the Header and Footers or selecting View > Header and Footer.

Once selected, a purple Header and Footer highlighted section will appear next to the "Home" section on the far left. Once Header and Footer appear, select it by clicking on it.

Posted Image

Hope that helps.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users