Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad? New iMacs let you choose - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad? New iMacs let you choose

#15 User is offline   bradhurley 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the Windows caveat -- I have to run both operating systems on my Mac, and I'm planning to replace my MacBook Pro with one of the new iMacs later this year. Having gotten used to a trackpad on the MacBook, I figured I'd get the Magic Trackpad for the iMac, but now realize that wouldn't be a good idea -- unless Apple configures BootCamp to allow Windows to use the Magic Trackpad. I assume the Magic Mouse works with Windows?

#16 User is offline   k88dad 

• PipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

Some useful info:

1. The Magic Trackpad will work when booted into Windows under Bootcamp.
2. Check the info here to hack Bootcamp for virtual use of Windows:

MT on PC

3. I definitely recommend the Magic Trackpad for new iMac purchasers. If you also need a new mouse then I recommend third party. Scroll wheels and real buttons do, indeed, rock.
4. Add this software to improve the capabilities of your new Magic Trackpad within Mac OS X:

BetterTouchTool

You can find tutorials and suggested uses for BetterTouchTool around the web, including right here on Macworld.

[Ed. for spelling]

This post has been edited by k88dad: 04 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

#17 User is offline   k88dad 

• PipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

View Postpalane, on 04 May 2011 - 06:32 AM, said:

The hockey puck stunk, but it's hardly accurate to characterize the rest of them as useless. You want a wheel? Get a mouse with a wheel. It's $20.

Personally, I'm fond of several different Logitech mice. A good fit and feel in the hand and, yes, I can do wheelies.

BB

View PostJarmo, on 04 May 2011 - 04:20 AM, said:

Neat!

Trackpad might potentially be a useful addition, but it DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. After 10 yrs of frustration I'd take a bag of M&M's over an Apple mouse!! They've been useless baggage ever since the hockey puck. Is it really so hard to admit the wheel is a good thing?

Admittedly I haven't used the newest magic one yet, but the nipple mouse before it was the lowest, clogging up after an hour of work.

I'm in the camp that says useless, and I'll tell you why. The Mac OS has supported right clicks for a long time. None of their mice has done so until the advent of the virtual right button. Personally, I'm a fan of real buttons on my input devices. I keep tossing aside new Apple mice and pulling out my trusty Logitech Wheel Mouse. Sturdy little bugger, no need for Logitech driver (that's important) and zero maintenance.

#18 User is offline   Jarmo 

• PipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

View Postpalane, on 04 May 2011 - 06:32 AM, said:

You want a wheel? Get a mouse with a wheel. It's $20. Personally, I'm fond of several different Logitech mice.

Yep. Been using various non-apple mice for the last 10 yrs, mainly logitech. That's why I'm happy there's now an alternative to having another mouse gathering dust.
Although I'll probably give the magic mouse a shot anyway, the same as every other apple candidate.

#19 User is offline   pcampagna 

• PipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

The first thing anyone getting either the magic mouse or touchpad is download BTT (google it) It will transform the way you navigate. Apple is probably going to add the funtionality that this tool adds, in Lion and call it revolutionary (or something) but the touch pad is great for browsing the web, the mouse is great for gaming and graphics. Both have a place on my desk. I will never own a regular mouse again.

#20 User is offline   coop5 

• PipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

View Postbradhurley, on 04 May 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

Thanks for the Windows caveat -- I have to run both operating systems on my Mac, and I'm planning to replace my MacBook Pro with one of the new iMacs later this year. Having gotten used to a trackpad on the MacBook, I figured I'd get the Magic Trackpad for the iMac, but now realize that wouldn't be a good idea -- unless Apple configures BootCamp to allow Windows to use the Magic Trackpad. I assume the Magic Mouse works with Windows?

Just as an aside....I run Windows 7 on my iMac under VMFusion (I love it and it works great) and the functionality of both the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad are perfect. Just for kicks, they run perfectly in Linux, too (Ubuntu) although I never use it. I just did it for geek cred.
Coop5

I feel more like I do now than I did before...

#21 User is offline   relic37 

• PipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

View PostJarmo, on 04 May 2011 - 04:20 AM, said:

Neat!

Trackpad might potentially be a useful addition, but it DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. After 10 yrs of frustration I'd take a bag of M&M's over an Apple mouse!! They've been useless baggage ever since the hockey puck. Is it really so hard to admit the wheel is a good thing?

Admittedly I haven't used the newest magic one yet, but the nipple mouse before it was the lowest, clogging up after an hour of work.

I have used the "nipple mouse" for three years in June - never one hiccup, never cleaned the nipple, only changed the batteries. Do you wash your hands?

#22 User is offline   Jarmo 

• PipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

View Postrelic37, on 04 May 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

I have used the "nipple mouse" for three years in June - never one hiccup, never cleaned the nipple, only changed the batteries. Do you wash your hands?

After wiping without paper? ....mayyybe. All the time with desinfectant? ...no.

#23 User is offline   StevenFisher 

• PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

I like the Trackpad, but I find it hard to believe anyone would base an entire story on this one point. It's a single sentence in a better article.

(No offense to Macworld; I know you're just passing it on.)

#24 User is offline   djmidway 

• PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

I hate that low cut Magic Mouse, along with the abbreviated version of the keyboard, so its great to hear they are coming with the track pad. I think I am holding off on my next computer until Lion comes out though since its months away only. Start with a clean slate.

#25 User is offline   theuncle 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

I have both a Trackpad and Mouse and have used both with my 24 inch iMac. But because I have over 25 years of "muscle memory" with the mouse (now magic mouse), the pixel-level in-accuracy of the trackpad has not won me over. Yes, I will be getting an Air for use with my camera and photography hobby, but I hope to still have use of a mouse for most fine-motor use in Photoshop. Meanwhile, I will practice with the trackpad as time allows...

#26 User is offline   EJMotler 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

I use both trackpad and magic mouse, sometimes both at the same time. Trackpad to the left of the keyboard and mouse to the right. Both work great.

The Magic Mouse is, as far as I'm concerned the best mouse I've ever used, both ergonomically and functionally.

The only thing I've had to change from the default is to enable right click on the magic mouse. Using a key press with a click is wrong, you need two buttons on a mouse and the software right click on the magic mouse works. So in the end, it's all good.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users