Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: 21.5- and 27-inch iMacs (Mid 2011) - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

21.5- and 27-inch iMacs (Mid 2011)

#15 User is offline   mjbauer 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 18-January 07

  Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

I really don't understand why Macworld does not test iMac BTO models? The compare a BTO Mac Pro to the iMac's?

Barefeats did a test here:

http://www.barefeats.com/imac11b.html
0

#16 User is offline   PowerPC 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 170
  • Joined: 16-December 08

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

View Postpcharles, on 10 May 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

View PostPowerPC, on 10 May 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

Is the 2.8GHz i7 processor worth buying for an additional speed boost overall, or does it only affect applications that can take full advantage of its power? I am debating between the 2.7 and 2.8GHz processors before buying one of the 21.5-inch iMacs, and I want to save some money if the better processor is not all that much better.


This might help:

http://www.primatela...marks-mid-2011/


It does and I think the answer is yes.
0

#17 User is offline   len5 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 181
  • Joined: 17-October 08

  Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

Sandy Bridge i5's don't support Hyperthreading :(
0

#18 User is offline   ryanflucas 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Macworld Insiders
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 16-September 08

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

I'm interested in finding out more information on the i7 processor upgrade for the additional $200 on the 21.5" models. Specifically benchmarks and heat output. I'm coming from a 24" Core 2 Duo 2.8GHZ and I'm concerned that the amount of heat output will run the fans particularly louder then if I went with the standard i5. I would not be gaming besides casual games, mostly handbrake batches.
0

#19 User is offline   k88dad 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 590
  • Joined: 22-March 05

  Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

Can I use the thunderbolt port as video out with a mini displayport cable? The article is not clear on this point.
0

#20 User is offline   Biallystock 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 729
  • Joined: 22-August 07

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

View Postryanflucas, on 10 May 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

I'm interested in finding out more information on the i7 processor upgrade for the additional $200 on the 21.5" models. Specifically benchmarks and heat output. I'm coming from a 24" Core 2 Duo 2.8GHZ and I'm concerned that the amount of heat output will run the fans particularly louder then if I went with the standard i5. I would not be gaming besides casual games, mostly handbrake batches.


Handbrake does get a big boost from the i7. Anything that does encoding does. Hyperthreading is however not good for other tasks. It actually slows them down. PC users are trying to find ways of shutting it off if it isn't required.

As to the heat and noise, I am also waiting on an answer. They are big concerns.

One thing that is very apparent is that there is effectively SFA difference between all the 4 base models on Speedmark. So as far as I can see screen size and extra ports is the real difference and probably your money will be better spent on extra RAM than faster CPU.
1

#21 User is offline   Biallystock 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 729
  • Joined: 22-August 07

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

View Postpcharles, on 10 May 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

I was a bit confused by the no anti glare screen option in the negatives. Are there any machines in this category with an antiglare option?


No. Absolutely none. That is why it is a negative.
0

#22 User is offline   Biallystock 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 729
  • Joined: 22-August 07

  Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

"It’s the model you must choose if you want to customize your machine with a faster processor or different sotrage options."

"sotrage" gets spellchecked on my Mac. Are your righting these on a PC?
1

#23 User is offline   whitedog 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,811
  • Joined: 09-August 04

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:55 AM

View Postk88dad, on 10 May 2011 - 07:35 PM, said:

Can I use the thunderbolt port as video out with a mini displayport cable? The article is not clear on this point.


No. You will need, when they become available, a Thunderbolt to Mini DisplayPort adaptor.
0

#24 User is offline   BobOH 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 12-March 10

  Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:40 AM

Will the mini display port from a 27" LED Apple Monitor work directly on a Thunderbolt port without any type of conversion?
0

#25 User is offline   Biallystock 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 729
  • Joined: 22-August 07

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:58 AM

View PostBobOH, on 11 May 2011 - 04:40 AM, said:

Will the mini display port from a 27" LED Apple Monitor work directly on a Thunderbolt port without any type of conversion?


You will need the perpetual Apple adaptor. Sometimes I think display adaptors underpin the huge Apple earnings growth.
0

#26 User is offline   NightshadesMac 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 02-June 08

  Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:09 AM

I was kind of surprised that no one has poo-poo'ed the new iMacs for not having USB 3.0 on them. That kind of thing always seems to draw such a furor with people noting that Apple is famous for not keeping up with the latest tech that is already available on the PC side.

I don't really have an opinion on it but was simply curious that no one else mentioned it. I have a first run Core Duo iMac and still not in the market to replace it but I might be adding a new laptop to my mix next year.

Can't wait to see what next year's MB Air will be like.
0

#27 User is offline   whitedog 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,811
  • Joined: 09-August 04

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

View PostNightshadesMac, on 11 May 2011 - 05:09 AM, said:

I was kind of surprised that no one has poo-poo'ed the new iMacs for not having USB 3.0 on them. That kind of thing always seems to draw such a furor with people noting that Apple is famous for not keeping up with the latest tech that is already available on the PC side.

I don't really have an opinion on it but was simply curious that no one else mentioned it. I have a first run Core Duo iMac and still not in the market to replace it but I might be adding a new laptop to my mix next year.

Can't wait to see what next year's MB Air will be like.


Perhaps there's been no comment on the absence of USB 3 because most people know by now that, in theory at least, Thunderbolt can support USB 3, 2 and 1, along with Firewire 800, 400, eSATA and Ethernet, not to mention Mini DisplayPort. Of course, this all depends on the availability of the appropriate adaptors, which are pretty scarce at the moment. However, given Apple's industry clout I expect adaptors to start showing up soon, especially now that Thunderbolt has arrived on the iMac as well as the MacBook Pro. Thunderbolt is the most powerful, flexible I/O connection ever developed. But it is new. Intel is making noises about licensing it to other computer makers. If this happens, adoption rates should accelerate. In effect, Apple has bypassed the need to provide a discrete USB 3 port, not to mention eSATA, which is another connection type they never adopted. No doubt they knew what Thunderbolt would be able to do and saw no need to mess with what they knew would be transitional technologies.
0

#28 User is offline   Biallystock 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 729
  • Joined: 22-August 07

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

Except the costs of adaptors, cables and extra for Thunderbolt devices had better be trivial.

I like many others are not going to pay almost as much for the adaptor + cable as the device I wish to attach.

It took ages for Firewire cables to come down in price, and FW drives never did. No wonder people avoided it like the plague.
0

Share this topic:


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users