• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

Post your comments for How to transfer files to and from an iPad here

#2 User is offline   don731 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:39 AM

Yes,it is a chore. I am in the process of deciding if I can travel for business with only my iPad 2, and leave my MBP at home. On the road, I present often, but do very little content creation. The single largest issue for me with file transfer is when there is no internet connection. I am often at a meeting in a lab where there is no internet, and file distribution is done by swapping a thumbdrive around the room. I have not found a viable way to get info directly from a thumbdrive to my iPad. Remember, in this case I have no MBP to create a wifi network. Others in the meeting may have laptops, but often just Windows machines. I do not want to jailbreak my iPad so as to use the camera kit as a usb port. I hope that future IOS updates can address these issues. It seems like overkill to travel with both a MBA and and iPad.

#3 User is offline   Maxer 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

How to transfer files to and from an iPad? It should be as easy as is for a Mac. Until then, no purchase.

#4 User is offline   bmovie 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:05 AM

Nice, but discouraging article if you're using a PC, no? Or are the options for file transfer the same, better, or worse?

#5 User is offline   loup407 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

The only reason I use a laptop anymore is for presentations, as I often use large Keynote decks with a dozen or so one minute video clips embedded in various slides.
The file management process on the iPad is a chore, but it can be done. One is forced to use Docs to Go and Dropbox, and some trial and error to move files around; although, for me, the ease of use for the iPad makes it worth the grief of figuring out how to deal with files.
It's disappointing to me that Apple hasn't fixed this by now, although I'm sure it helps their MacBook sales.

#6 User is offline   msbarsness 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

Why is this a problem? How hard could it be for Apple to implement a reasonable file management system? The iPad is useless for file editing. Pictures, browsing, email if you don't have to save, edit, resend an attachment, otherwise, not ready for prime time. (sent from my iPad!

#7 User is offline   george12345 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

Here are a couple of other options if you happen to be connected to a WiFi network with windows file shares:

Files Connect
Filebrowser

I've found that Files Connect works better with the clustered systems we have.

#8 User is offline   don731 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

Is there any app that would allow you to create a wifi network (such as possible with a MBP) with just an iPad?
I'm thinking room full of nothing but iPads (maybe a windows laptop or two), and no existing internet or local wifi. How do you share files in that situation?

#9 User is offline   Steven Carter 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

I think that the author is not sufficiently familiar with the capabilities of iDisk and hence is messing with dozens of work-arounds to try and make Dropbox do what is easily done with iDisk straight from the box so to speak.

On your computer in System Preferences, go to MobileMe preferences and set iDisk to, "iDisk Sync On." That keeps a copy of iDisk on the your desktop of your computer at all times and synchronizes that copy whenever your computer is online.

In the same preference pane, check the box, "Always keep most recent version of a file."

Now, from your computer, your iPad, or your iPhone, you will always have access to the most recent version of your files. About a year ago, I moved my entire home folder to the iDisk and now have access to the most recent version of everything from every device. Simple and affordable. MobileMe is only $65 at Amazon.

#10 User is offline   LexFriedman 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Joe Kissell?

Also:

@Maxer: I agree Apple should improve things. I disagree that this weakness is a reason not to buy the iPad. I purchased my car even though it lacks keyless entry. Keyless entry would save me a lot of time, but the car still does everything I need it to do.

@msbarsness Agreed. Apple needs a better solution. I'm hoping it's part of iOS 5, and I'm hoping it involves seamless cloud storage. Like Dropbox everywhere.

@bmovie: Mostly the same options. Dropbox, iTunes file sharing, FTP, etc—all PC-friendly.

#11 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

Ain't none of you got no good english?

File sharing is the Achilles' heel of iPad utility. One would hope that a third party would step up and frighten Apple into doing it correctly.

#12 User is offline   ChrisGadbois 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

View PostMaxer, on 12 May 2011 - 06:46 AM, said:

How to transfer files to and from an iPad? It should be as easy as is for a Mac. Until then, no purchase.

AGREED!!

#13 User is offline   whitewater2 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

Easiest tool for on the fly transferring of photos and videos on your MAC/PC or other iOS device is PhotoSync APP (for iOS $1.99 / free computer software). I love the fact that if I want to send photos or videos i have taken from my IPHONE directly to my IPAD I dont have to download them or use some clunky bump app, but the best part is downloading to and from my MAC or PC without connecting a physical cable. Super easy to use, this is the best APP and easiest without problems I have found to date. I use on IPHONE3G/IPHONE4/IPAD2/Macbook Pro (OCT 2010) and WINDOWS XP without issues.

#14 User is offline   MrLizard 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostSteven Carter, on 12 May 2011 - 07:52 AM, said:

I think that the author is not sufficiently familiar with the capabilities of iDisk and hence is messing with dozens of work-arounds to try and make Dropbox do what is easily done with iDisk straight from the box so to speak.

On your computer in System Preferences, go to MobileMe preferences and set iDisk to, "iDisk Sync On." That keeps a copy of iDisk on the your desktop of your computer at all times and synchronizes that copy whenever your computer is online.

In the same preference pane, check the box, "Always keep most recent version of a file."

Now, from your computer, your iPad, or your iPhone, you will always have access to the most recent version of your files. About a year ago, I moved my entire home folder to the iDisk and now have access to the most recent version of everything from every device. Simple and affordable. MobileMe is only $65 at Amazon.

The problem remains though: you need to import the document from iDisk in order to work on it. You now have 2 copies of the file, one on iDisk and one local copy. When you're done working on the document on your iPad, you then need to re-export it back to iDisk.

The apps that support direct Dropbox integration are much better - the document you're working on is opened from and saved direct to your Dropbox folder. That's what iDisk should be like.

And don't get me started on not being able to add files to iDisk from the iDisk app...

This post has been edited by MrLizard: 12 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users