• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to transfer files to and from an iPad

#15 User is offline   trip1ex 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Why bother? Get the right tool for the job. Get the MBA 11"!!!

#16 User is offline   Phillie 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

View Postdon731, on 12 May 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

Yes,it is a chore. I am in the process of deciding if I can travel for business with only my iPad 2, and leave my MBP at home. On the road, I present often, but do very little content creation. The single largest issue for me with file transfer is when there is no internet connection. I am often at a meeting in a lab where there is no internet, and file distribution is done by swapping a thumbdrive around the room. I have not found a viable way to get info directly from a thumbdrive to my iPad. Remember, in this case I have no MBP to create a wifi network. Others in the meeting may have laptops, but often just Windows machines. I do not want to jailbreak my iPad so as to use the camera kit as a usb port. I hope that future IOS updates can address these issues. It seems like overkill to travel with both a MBA and and iPad.

In preparation for a trip to Brazil I used my Ipad for an entire month without a laptop traveling around to clients in the USA. That then gave me confidence that I could go oversease with nothing more than my Ipad, wireless keyboard and airport extreme. I do many presentations as I am in sales and run a sales team. I need access to these presentations or other documents to show clients about our offering and how we can help them. I have the Iworks suite, dropbox and GoodReader. I use my dropbox account on my home computer and office laptop. I have it on my Ipad but use GoodReader with the webdav for dropbox. IT sound complicated but it is easy to setup and you only have to do it once. You can sync between the ipad/GoodReader and Dropbox. What is nice aobut Goodreader is that donwloads the file for use even in airplane mode unlike dropbox where you need to either flag as a favorite or have a wifi connection. So dont be afraid to leave home only with your Ipad. If you want to know about the airport extreme which sets up a secure wifi in your hotel room that has ethernet let me know.

#17 User is offline   SolonPhotos 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

Yes, indeed.

I find that using Pages and keeping documents up to date is the most un-Mac thing that I have to do.

I complained about the poor Mac integration with my iPad on the Apple iPad discussion site - and my message was deleted. So I sent it to Apple as a request for future improvements. There was, of course no response. Maybe if we all sent a request, someone at Apple might work on an improved method for file transfers to and from iPads.

#18 User is offline   KefynJudson 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

I am using SugarSync to keep files in sync across PC, iPad, Blackberry, Mac etc. You can see it can be a headache. The free iPad app is a breeze. Can view all the Office and PDF types directly in the app, plus more. If you have the iWorks apps on the iPad you can transfer the files to the appropriate iWorks app directly from the SugarSync app as required. I use it with Keynote for Powerpoint files.

I have key files in the Magic Briefcase (this folder is automatically synced to all devices). I just drop the files into the Briefcase on the Mac and bam they are now on the iPad. Otherwise, the synced folders on devices are accessible from the other devices and you can download files as you need them.

Finally, can set a PIN on the iPad app.

With the free version if you sign up via a referral then the referrer AND you get an additional 500Mb. Here's mine, give give SugarSync a look: https://www.sugarsyn...f=bzfqff3jnejcm

Nice.

#19 User is offline   TrevorRu 

• PipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

What's the betting new MobileMe aka iCloud might offer DropBox type syncing?
At least we can hope...

#20 User is offline   pamwe 

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:00 AM

Try DropCopy Pro, works for me

#21 User is offline   miasmi 

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

Two thumbs up for GoodReader. It really acts as the missing file system for the iPad.

I especially like how it supports automatic Dropbox folder sync.

http://www.miasmi.com

#22 User is offline   kenmitch7 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

The chore factor and the size limitations on dropbox (2GB free) is frustrating for me as a Treasurer of a not for profit sporting organisation.

I can make it work but it would be so much easier if the iPad had a file structure just like my iMac.

#23 User is offline   JimGurney 

• Pip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

I'm surprised that Simplenote was not mentioned. It's a cloud-based interface for storing and editing texts. http://simplenoteapp.com/about/ and they have a (free) app for the iPad. The iPad app caches content, allowing edits that re-sync when back in wifi signal areas.

Another free editor is Plaintext from hogbaysoftware.com.

H/T to 'Mac Power Users' for highlighting Simplenote and PlainText. Enjoy your cloud :)

#24 User is offline   Itechgal 

• Pip

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

The Dropbox app for the iPad allows you to sync photos from within the Dropbox app. The problem is you have to select each photo individually, no multiple file selection method or ability to just select an album. That would have made my life easier had that been possible when I recently had to figure out how to back up my iPad when my computer no longer could find it. Yay for AppleCare, though, that's all I can say. I love my iPad to pieces.

#25 User is offline   Adobesage 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

This very depressing given the amount of money Apple has and has made from the iPad.

#26 User is offline   Himdeep 

• Pip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Only if Apple was smart enough to include USB ports. Don't know what their logic was (possibly to encourage people to buy from itunes don't know) but personnaly I think it was stupid. Actually, Apple always does something stupid not to include some very important piece of technology which is commonly used or too controlling environment. That is why I always come thsi close to purchase Apple products but then steer away.

#27 User is offline   MediaPlex 

• PipPip

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

There has to be a way to transfer a file between my Mac (or my PC) to my iPad2, using my wifi network, *without* using some "cloud" service. I do not trust any cloud service with my files and will never. Its bad enough they have as much data on me as they do already without me sending them me ideas, hard work, proprietary info, etc. Apple doesnt wont add USB ports to the iPad for obvious reasons. Keeping it locked down is part of the game - I understand that. Maybe its time to jailbreak it but the question will probably still be there: HOW to get a file from my computers to my iPad?

#28 User is offline   CSMMaster276 

• Pip

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

I just purchased an ipad 2 around Christmas time for use in Project Management. Using Dropbox and CloudOn (both free apps from the app store) I can make changes seamlessly to existing word, excel and powerpoint documents in my Dropbox acct, and even create new files and save them to my Dropbox acct. These are obviously immediately available on my pc when I return home. Great combination for use on the road!!

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users