• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple takes the wraps off new retail efforts

#15 User is offline   macman77 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

Here's a suggestion...MOVE YOUR ASS AWAY to a "green" place that you like. What a stupid post!

View PostTahitiEcotourism, on 22 May 2011 - 08:20 PM, said:

This is the worse decision they have made knowing they promote green.
It's no good for eco, electric energy consumption, how many ipads they have put in all apple store worlwide? All those materials to build those ipads just for an app for store. The printed paper they used to have was more eco than these ipad! Hey Apple, wake up, are you still going green?

#16 User is offline   TheFLP 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

But man, look at those cables. I can hear The Steve groaning from the other side of the country. (It must break his heart to have to chain the wireless mice down like that.) :lol:

Seriously though ... couldn't they have come up with an elegant Apple-brand way to hide those wires? All that empty space in the middle of the tables makes it worse.

You never see those wires on the web site. ;)

#17 User is offline   Serenity 

• Staff Editor
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

View Posticerabbit, on 23 May 2011 - 05:54 AM, said:

View PostStewsburntmonkey, on 23 May 2011 - 05:25 AM, said:

View Postchase, on 22 May 2011 - 10:47 PM, said:

I'm very disappointed there is only one photo for a visual story and I cannot even tell what I'm looking at.

It is odd. They spend so many words trying to describe the app when a simple shot or two of the actual app would have served far better. I'm not even sure what that side shot of the iPad is supposed to show.

Should be showing the ultra-slim charging ribbon.

Based on a photo at another site, I had wondered how they were powering these tablets fixed in place. So it would seem to be via pin connector part only, without the white plastic we use to plug & unplug. And, for most compatibility & remote updating etc probably the 30pin connector so they can do everything remotely.

We went in on Sunday mostly out of personal curiosity, and decided to write up something after the fact for some first impressions. We're planning on returning to the store today for an official in-depth look (hopefully, with photos).

The photo in the article is indeed of the iPad display's cradle and charging mechanism.

#18 User is offline   dbqfan 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

I am really impressed - this should be great and can be seen at all 5 of Apple's stores.

#19 User is offline   danw12321 

• PipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Very cool. I'll have to make a trip to my local store and see these things firsthand.

#20 User is offline   trichardlin 

• PipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

View PostTheFLP, on 23 May 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

But man, look at those cables. I can hear The Steve groaning from the other side of the country. (It must break his heart to have to chain the wireless mice down like that.) :lol:

Seriously though ... couldn't they have come up with an elegant Apple-brand way to hide those wires? All that empty space in the middle of the tables makes it worse.

You never see those wires on the web site. ;)

My thought exactly. They can easily hide those cables by having a hole under each iPad.

#21 User is offline   AussieTrev 

• PipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

My disappointment is that it could be a week or two before I get to visit my Apple Store and then when I do I won't have the money to buy something after using this cool new way of retail. I think this is a great step forward and show cases what Apple is all about, innovation, presentation and difference. Lets see Microsoft try something like this, blue screens of death all round anyone.

#22 User is offline   robertmcdowell 

• PipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

I didn't know about the new iPads as signage until today. I went int to see the new iMacs and it was awesome!

I want to know how how they disabled the home buttons. I can see using this as great way to create single use app iPads for my business to demonstrate the house we sell.

Any ideas how they did it and what app they used to create the signage?

#23 User is offline   Dennistrator 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

So how will Microsoft copy this in their brick and stick stores? Use Win7 tablet computers? I guess the stores would look really festive, with all those Blue Screens of Death on every counter...

#24 User is offline   Ronald_Schoedel 

• PipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

It's brilliant guerilla marketing for the iPad itself. I had almost no interest in the iPad until I saw one and used it in person. It was magical. Now, consider allowing others to have that same experience, but without them even planning to do so. Yes, this is freakin' brilliant.

#25 User is offline   TimothyA 

• PipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

iPads as information kiosks? I don't really see the point, since store employees usually pounce on you the moment you walk into the store anyway, at least in my experience at an Apple store.

Not that I blame them, as there are a lot of shoplifters and those who just mistreat the merchandise, but it makes info kiosks kind of superfluous.

#26 User is offline   rameeti 

• PipPip

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

View Postrenaultssoftwareco, on 23 May 2011 - 04:22 AM, said:

Next step, build one that's closer than two hours away from me.
If you are willing to live where other people live, this is not a problem. Look at the Apple stores after doing a search for Newport Beach, CA, and you'll find 3 within 15 minutes of each other.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users