• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:13 AM

Post your comments for Mac OS X Lion: What you need to know here

#2 User is offline   giwmooze 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Very good article but you missed one area that has me concerned about the transition: the lack of Rosetta and the end of PowerPC programs. Programs like Quicken (other than the latest version which is not universally loved) and Starcraft I, Diablo 2 and some other old but still loved programs will no longer work with Lion unless patched. So, it seems like drive partitioning (keeping Leopard on one partition)or praying for a patch is going to be required. Thoughts?

#3 User is offline   AppleZilla 

• PipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

My wife and I have different Apple IDs associated with our Macs. So we both have to pay the $30, right? The 'Multiple Macs' section makes it seem like all Macs under your roof can use the same 'license' for installation.

#4 User is offline   iPlaid 

• PipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

I can't upgrade to Lion until Cap'n Magneto works on it natively. :-)

#5 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

Doesn't seem like it would be hard to create yourself an account on both machines and log into just one of the Apple IDs on both of them, right?

I'm guessing they won't be guarding against people logging into their Mac App Store accounts on a bunch of machines.

#6 User is offline   Buffyzdead 

• PipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

One Question that was not answered but perhaps we can make an assumption.

IF I buy a new Macbook Air (when the new ones come out), I expect it should have Lion pre-installed. If I log into and register this New Macbook, and access the App Store with my sole Apple ID,
I would expect that I can leverage the Lion "purchase" on my three other Macs that I currently own, right?

#7 User is offline   flabeo 

• Pip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

View PostAppleZilla, on 09 June 2011 - 10:27 AM, said:

My wife and I have different Apple IDs associated with our Macs. So we both have to pay the $30, right? The 'Multiple Macs' section makes it seem like all Macs under your roof can use the same 'license' for installation.

From my understanding you can upgrade any system that is authorized by your account, and I'm pretty sure you can have more than one account authorized to a machine. So you should be able to upgrade her system (with your purchase) even though her computers primary account is her Apple ID... I think

#8 User is offline   ducky278 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

No, you can use the same "Apple ID" on multiple machines. Example, on your machine go to the app store, download and install Lion. You can then log on to the app store on your wife's machine with your ID and Install Lion for free.

This works for most/all App Store applications.

#9 User is offline   highanddry 

• Pip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

View Postgiwmooze, on 09 June 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

Very good article but you missed one area that has me concerned about the transition: the lack of Rosetta and the end of PowerPC programs....

Lack of Rosetta is very big given the current economy. Not everyone can afford to upgrade all our old standbys in one pop, even with the lower cost of Lion. Just sayin...

#10 User is offline   booishboos 

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

So much awesome. Can't wait.

#11 User is offline   booishboos 

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

View PostBuffyzdead, on 09 June 2011 - 10:44 AM, said:

One Question that was not answered but perhaps we can make an assumption.

IF I buy a new Macbook Air (when the new ones come out), I expect it should have Lion pre-installed. If I log into and register this New Macbook, and access the App Store with my sole Apple ID,
I would expect that I can leverage the Lion "purchase" on my three other Macs that I currently own, right?

I would guess not, if you never actually bought it. When a new Mac comes with the new iLife, you can't get it on your other Macs. But I don't know.

#12 User is offline   windermere 

• Pip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

We have the same setup for our Ap purchases for our iPads. For Apps that she has bought from her Apple ID account that are installed onto my system I am able to install and use since my Mac is authorized as one of her 5 available. I expect the exact same process for the purchase of Lion. Then when updates come around you will log into her account on your computer and install the free updates.

#13 User is offline   matthewmiller1234 

• PipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

View Posthighanddry, on 09 June 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postgiwmooze, on 09 June 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

Very good article but you missed one area that has me concerned about the transition: the lack of Rosetta and the end of PowerPC programs....

Lack of Rosetta is very big given the current economy. Not everyone can afford to upgrade all our old standbys in one pop, even with the lower cost of Lion. Just sayin...

Maybe there's a way to install Rosetta from Snow Leopard discs? Someone will figure out how to port it eventually.

#14 User is offline   deezee 

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

"Compatible apps" - do we know what they will be? Will Microsoft Word and all the Office apps work with versions and autosave?

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users