• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: What a riot here

#2 User is offline   MrPhotoEd 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hey, you finally dropped the boilerplate to the bottom. Thanks Macworld. Makes the reading experience a lot better.

#3 User is offline   klahanas 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:03 AM

Suggestion. Insider's get to see the Macalope Weekly as a work in progress, with the final condensation arriving on Saturday. No complaints. Does it make sense to bring the comments over on Saturday too?
"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."

-Rush

#4 User is offline   KAdamsInCO 

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

I think it is safe to say that R.I.M. will soon R.I.P.

Blackberry's big sell was Enterprise mobile management features. They were the best game in town as smart phones go that could be actively managed by an IT department which would allow encrypted corporate mobile email/calendar/contacts and proprietary applications on a cell phone. Their keyboard was solid and allowed for quick messaging, and their Blackberry messaging service saved money by keeping text messages out of the hands of the SMS service.

Fast forward to today and not only are their devices behind the curve (like, waaayyyyy back there, you know?), but there are now multiple vendors who do a decent job at Mobile Device Management (MDM) for iOS, Android and Windows 7 devices. Some of these products go so far as to support Symbian, older Windows 5/6 and new WebOS phones, all in one management console. An IT department could use MaaS360 from Fiberlink, airwatch, MobileIron, EMM by McAfee, and a whole host of others.

Adding insult to competitive injury is Apple's announcement of their own Messaging service between all current iOS devices, including iPads. Add it all up and it's the full Blackberry experience, without the need for a Blackberry device. Ouch!

So yes, I agree with the Macalope that not only does our friendly neighbor up North need to learn how to take defeat in a more non-destructive manner, but they also need to either figure out how to REALLY step it up in the mobile market and soon, or prepare for a fire sale of one of their more infamous tech companies to someone, possibly just a bit further South of the border.

Good luck RIM!!!! (Boy, do you need it.)

This post has been edited by KAdamsInCO: 18 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

#5 User is offline   IanWeir 

• Pip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

First we had Nortel which grew to big for it's britches and now is still sell parts of it's self of, the latest being the patents that it seems everyone wants including Apple. Why buy a company just for it's patents when all you have to do is wait for it to go broke which could be RIM's fate if the executive does'nt do something drastic as of yesterday, tomorrow is to late since it's biggest investor just shed it's shares. To little to late for RIM. They sat around and let Apple as well as others innovate.

The riot in Vancouver, well that was just a bunch of losers that did'nt have much more to do and now even their parents are turning them in.

But you down in the lower 48 should'nt talk to much, the Republican's just turned down payroll tax breaks that might have helped get the American economy firing on another cylinder.

#6 User is offline   davidlfoster 

• PipPip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

Love this quote:

...it’s always amazing how presently available Apple products continue to pale against future products from Microsoft.

#7 User is offline   renaultssoftwareco 

• PipPip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

I'm a Canadian, but I don't care about hockey. Say, I wonder what would happen if Vancouver had to go to the finals versus Montréal?

I saw a PlayBook yesterday, first one I saw in my life. It was on display.

#8 User is offline   TheBum 

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

I get a kick out of Thurrott's denigrating comment about OS X's evolutionary updates. Oh, like every Windows update has been revolutionary. The Windows OS hasn't changed in a revolutionary way since Windows 95, at least from the perspective of 99% of the users. Evolution isn't the horrible thing he makes it out to be. Revolutionary changes tend to confuse people and require retraining, so it's understandable why the OSes have evolved instead.

#9 User is offline   addicted44 

• PipPip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:57 AM

But it’s also true that the iPhone was the first to market with a design that was completely disruptive, and Android as we know it was a response to that

This is absolutely correct. Android was supposed to be a Blackberry competitor, not an iPhone one. We know whis because Google demonstrated Android very shortly after the iPhone was released (before they had the time to copy it), and this is what it looked like:

http://www.letsgomob...gle-android.jpg

http://media.techebl...droidlive_1.jpg

#10 User is offline   donebylee 

• PipPip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

"The Macalope’s said it before, but it’s always amazing how presently available Apple products continue to pale against future products from Microsoft."

Everybody sing it with me:

Tomorrow, tomorrow, just wait 'til tomorrow
The solution is always one release away...

#11 User is offline   pogo97 

• Pip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:08 AM

The Macalope would have enjoyed the aftermath coverage of the Vancouver riots. I had to wait about two minutes before hearing:

apologist: "These people are NOT hockey fans." (How can you tell?) "They're ANARCHISTS."

interviewer: "What do you mean by anarchists?"

apologist: "These people are just angry young men looking for a chance to make trouble blah blah..."

I suspect someone hasn't done his homework on the meaning of "anarchist" or for that matter "angry young men."

But at least we know they weren't hockey fans.

yeah, sure

#12 User is offline   amigasteve 

• PipPip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

"Microsoft, on the other hand, are looking to make tablets that are full screen computers which you can do anything/everything with – dock them as full computers, do full-screen computing using things other than touch – off screen gestures, voice control, etc."

Well I for one would like to see the MBA morphed into an iPad like package, with expansion as mentioned. Obviously Lion would need to be reworked for touch screen operation....

#13 User is offline   pln 

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

To see how phones would look today, even with Android and without the iPhone, you just need to google for "android prototype 2007"

OK, I'll give the link:
http://techcrunch.co...n-be-deceiving/

#14 User is offline   klahanas 

• Veteran

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

View Postamigasteve, on 18 June 2011 - 07:37 AM, said:

"Microsoft, on the other hand, are looking to make tablets that are full screen computers which you can do anything/everything with – dock them as full computers, do full-screen computing using things other than touch – off screen gestures, voice control, etc."

Well I for one would like to see the MBA morphed into an iPad like package, with expansion as mentioned. Obviously Lion would need to be reworked for touch screen operation....

You may like, but you likely won't get. The most expansion friendly (at least in theory) option right now is TB. Then maybe devices will come out, and maybe this MBA Tablet will have it. Apple is NOT expansion friendly.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."

-Rush

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users