Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Late 2009 Macbook Unibody Display Problem Please help with display problem

#1 User is offline   CalebHogue 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

About 3 months ago, my MacBook started having problems with the display. It freezes and fades to white during normal use, and to resolve the problem, you have to either find the perfect angle of the screen, which changes each time, or constantly press on the edge of the screen. I am guessing that it is a video cable problem with the cable going through the hinge, but from looking online I haven't seen anything like it. Is there anyone who has had similar problems? I would like to try to fix it myself since it is out of warranty and it is two hours to the nearest Apple store.

#2 User is offline   CalebHogue 

• Pip

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Anyone?

#3 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:35 AM

CalebHogue, on 18 June 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

About 3 months ago, my MacBook started having problems with the display. It freezes and fades to white during normal use, and to resolve the problem, you have to either find the perfect angle of the screen, which changes each time, or constantly press on the edge of the screen. I am guessing that it is a video cable problem with the cable going through the hinge, but from looking online I haven't seen anything like it. Is there anyone who has had similar problems? I would like to try to fix it myself since it is out of warranty and it is two hours to the nearest Apple store.

Pressing on the edge of the screen as a solution probably arguest against it being a cable issue. That's usually wear near the hing caused by repeated opening and closing. It's certainly possible to tear down a MacBook to get a look at the connections inside the upper case, but the exact technique and value of doing so varies with model. Is there a specific spot on the case you have to press to make it work, or multiple places, or just about anywhere?

#4 User is offline   CalebHogue 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

It works any time you are pushing the lid back. I usually do it with my left hand so I can still use the mouse, but it works pressing on either side.

#5 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

CalebHogue, on 27 June 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

It works any time you are pushing the lid back. I usually do it with my left hand so I can still use the mouse, but it works pressing on either side.

I initially thought you meant you were squeezing or compressing the internals of the frame by pressing on it. This clarification does make it sound like it's back to being a hinge/cable issue.

#6 User is offline   CalebHogue 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to fix if I took it to the apple store when I go to San Antonio in a couple weeks? Or is it possible to fix myself?

#7 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

CalebHogue, on 27 June 2011 - 09:04 AM, said:

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to fix if I took it to the apple store when I go to San Antonio in a couple weeks? Or is it possible to fix myself?

No clue on the cost.

Fixing it yourself is certainly a possibility, but how viable it is depends on the model and may depend on your ability to get or make the necessary parts.

How old is it?

#8 User is offline   VegasDude 

• Pip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:16 AM

CalebHogue, on 27 June 2011 - 09:04 AM, said:

Possible to fix yourself? Definitely. Probable? Depends on your skill level. In order to replace the cable you would need to: remove the display assembly, heat the glass (not too much) to soften the double-sided tape, remove the glass, remove the LCD panel, replace the cable, then put it all back together with some new tape too. To me that sounds like fun, but I'm weird like that.

I've seen screen replacement services for $200-250 on eBay. Maybe try contacting them and asking how much to do just the cable since they would have the skills and parts. Another option is replacing the entire assembly, which may be a more viable DIY option. Sell the partially functional screen to defray the cost.

#9 User is offline   mahboobs 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Dear Newbie, I am having similar problems like you. How did you solve the problem? Was it cable or lcd screen problem? I went to Apple Brighton (UK) store, they told it as lcd screen problem and I was not convinced totally. Your success (!!) story will be helpful for me.

#10 User is offline   ch23 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

This is CalebHogue. For some reason I could not access the account that the original post was created with. I did get the problem fixed. I took it to the Apple store in San Antonio, TX, and they said that it was a problem with the display cable. They offered to repair it in store for around $200 if I remember correctly, or they could send it off to the repair center for a flat rate of $250 to fix whatever was wrong. Because I lived about 4 hours from the Apple store, it cost less for me to do the flat rate. They replaced the whole top lid including screen and casing, replaced the bottom casing that always gets scratched up, and installed a new battery. At that time, the repair was well worth the $250 especially since they included their genuine $120 battery. That was all in the summer of 2011; it is up to you to decide whether the cost is worth it as we approach Summer 2013.

#11 User is offline   mahboobs 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

Dear Hogue, thanks for your reply. It will certainly give me an upperhand when I next discuss it with Apple people!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users