• Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

Post your comments for Apple's videogame future here

#2 User is offline   Alfiejr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

gee this guy is slow to catch on.

AppleTV combined wirelessly with iPad via iOS 5 video mirroring IS Apple's killer new "game console." the game action can be displayed on your HDTV, while the iPad has a different UI/control screen. for example, in a fighter plane game, the TV shows the outside window view while the cockpit panel appears on the iPad. and there are third party accessory joysticks already. Game Center already provides web multiplayer gaming and local mulitplayer games are coming.

there will be a huge burst of updated/new "dual screen" iPad games like this coming out after the Fall release of iOS 5, aiming at the Holiday market of course. it's going to be big.

#3 User is offline   Tipadoo 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

Interesting article. I'd be interested in an Apple device like this. I hardly touch my PS3 anymore. If Apple were to come out with something that would take the wind out of the other big 3, it would surprise me...as in unexpected. We'll see.

#4 User is offline   BRussell33 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

View PostAlfiejr, on 25 June 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

AppleTV combined wirelessly with iPad via iOS 5 video mirroring IS Apple's killer new "game console."

There's too much lag sending everything wirelessly to the Apple TV. Games will work best when the processing is done on the Apple TV, with an iPad/iPod/iPhone as the controller.

#5 User is offline   Flexmeister 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

An Apple TV with the same power as the iPad 2 and apps, done. There's your gaming console.
When Apple opens the Apple TV up for Apps, things like bluetooth controllers will pop up out of thin air within weeks.

#6 User is offline   NaOH 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

From being a company that "Doesn't get games." Apple sure has come a long way.

I remember the Pippin from the mid '90s as Apple's last serious effort in gaming.

It seems to me that this time round, Apple is capitalising on an opportunity with gaming on iOS, rather than it being something that was planned from the outset.

#7 User is offline   blecch 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

View PostTipadoo, on 25 June 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

Interesting article. I'd be interested in an Apple device like this. I hardly touch my PS3 anymore. If Apple were to come out with something that would take the wind out of the other big 3, it would surprise me...as in unexpected. We'll see.

Hmm, if you have a PS3 and never play games then I expect either 1) your gaming time is spent on other platforms such as 360/Wii/PC/Mobile, 2) you don't have time to play games, or 3) you don't enjoy them!

Seriously, the PS3 is an excellent system with outstanding games across all genres, and using the DualShock3 controller puts most iOS gaming to shame. Besides your "regular" PS3 games, PSN (now that it's back) has innovative games like Flower, EchoChrome and PixelJunk Eden, retro games like Super Stardust HD Bionic Commando, and Wizardry, and a great back catalog of PS1 titles like Final Fantasy 7/8/9, Metal Gear Solid, and Silent Hill. The PS3 also does Netflix in 1080p (highly compressed, obviously, but still quite watchable) and plays Blu-Ray discs.

This post has been edited by blecch: 27 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

#8 User is offline   Tipadoo 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

View Postblecch, on 27 June 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostTipadoo, on 25 June 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

Hmm, if you have a PS3 and never play games then I expect either 1) your gaming time is spent on other platforms such as 360/Wii/PC/Mobile, 2) you don't have time to play games, or 3) you don't enjoy them!

Seriously, the PS3 is an excellent system with outstanding games across all genres, and using the DualShock3 controller puts most iOS gaming to shame. Besides your "regular" PS3 games, PSN (now that it's back) has innovative games like Flower, EchoChrome and PixelJunk Eden, retro games like Super Stardust HD Bionic Commando, and Wizardry, and a great back catalog of PS1 titles like Final Fantasy 7/8/9, Metal Gear Solid, and Silent Hill. The PS3 also does Netflix in 1080p (highly compressed, obviously, but still quite watchable) and plays Blu-Ray discs.

Actually I still use it but only occasionally. The last game I played with regularity was Fallout: New Vegas. Hell of a game like its predecessor. I think it's been nearly 4 years now since I bought the PS3. I didn't start using Netflix until after I bought the new Mac mini, so I use it for streaming instead of the PS3. My Mac mini gets a workout in my house. I recently bought and played Portal 2. I had a choice to buy it for my PS3 or my Mac. I chose the Mac (mainly because it was $10 cheaper) and I wasn't disappointed.
All in all I have about 20 games for the PS3 and a few blue ray movies. I've just been slowing down on my gaming. Lastly, I totally agree that overall, the gaming experience on the PS3 is far superior to my iPad or iPhone, hence I'll never get rid of mine. I may even get the PS4 when it comes out!

#9 User is offline   jrdvt 

• PipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

It's noteworthy that an article about the future of Apple gaming does not even include the word "Mac."

#10 User is offline   shlaw 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:42 AM

I recently bought and played Portal 2. I had a choice to buy it for my PS3 or my Mac. I chose the Mac (mainly because it was $10 cheaper) and I wasn't disappointed.

If you had bought it for the PS3, you would have got the Mac copy for free...

The future of Mac gaming? Unless you're talking about casual games, Boot Camp. The library of old great games is primarily Windows based. Steam is the biggest and best online computer game distributor (the growing medium of game sales) and their Windows selection is bigger and better than the Mac selection. The gamers who buy $40-$70 games and buy many of them aren't going to be drawn to the iPad or the WiiU or the casual games.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users