• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

Already dreading the multitude of fireworks photos that will appear on facebook

#3 User is offline   mojo66 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:21 AM

Is it possible to do this with an iPhone 4?

#4 User is offline   bobwill 

• Pip

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

View Postmojo66, on 29 June 2011 - 06:21 AM, said:

Is it possible to do this with an iPhone 4?

Well, there are a decent number of iphone camera apps; one of them might allow you to take long exposures.
You'll need some form of attachment that allows you to mount the camera on a tripod.
A quick search turned up an application called magic shutter; but, the reviews seem less than stellar.

#5 User is offline   mrbach 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

I recently shot Fireworks with my Pentax K5. No tripod and ISO 3200. The light sensitivity of the camera is amazing and I got great results. I just tend to prefer shooting with less rather than more, so I wanted a camera that would let me do things without flash or tripods. Of course, it is not a sub $1000 camera, but I chose it because of its high ISO capabilities and sensitivity to light.

#6 User is offline   cycleman 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

View Postmrbach, on 29 June 2011 - 01:52 PM, said:

I recently shot Fireworks with my Pentax K5. No tripod and ISO 3200. The light sensitivity of the camera is amazing and I got great results. I just tend to prefer shooting with less rather than more, so I wanted a camera that would let me do things without flash or tripods. Of course, it is not a sub $1000 camera, but I chose it because of its high ISO capabilities and sensitivity to light.

Indeed it is possible to capture fireworks with high ISO but if you're not using a tripod you will not have success with longer shutter times, which are essential for capturing trails without blur caused by camera shake, which you're pretty much guaranteed to get at anything slower than 1/20, even with image stabilization. Also even the best cameras at higher ISO (>1600) leave you with very noisy (grainy) results. Using a tripod allows you longer shutter times at lower ISO without camera shake, and that translates to cleaner, sharper, and more interesting photos. Generally those are what I prefer over the dubious "more with less" badge of honor.

#7 User is offline   n781lc 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:48 AM

DSLR or cameras with bulb exposure capability.

Have flashlight handy, get all settings in advance.

USE MANUAL > Focus set to infinity, Aperture around F8 or f11 for depth of field and ISO 100 or 200
TRIPOD, VC or IS Stabilization OFF, If DSLR use Live View to set image size and composition.

USE BULB > hold open shutter before burst and close immediately after unless want to get multi burst or trails. Longer open BEFORE burst more of background and surroundings will be captured.

Check Review and alter timing accordingly .. don't change apperture or ISO

Location, location, location.

#8 User is offline   rfrankli 

• Pip

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for acknowledging Canada Day (July 1st) as comparable to your July 4th -- Canuck

#9 User is offline   jpthurston54 

• Pip

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

Absolutely nothing about the old Black Hat trick!
You set shutter to Bulb, trigger shutter with a cable release and cover the lens with a black card or your hat.
Wit til the firework goes off, remove your "shutter" (The hat!) right at the burst, then replace after it trails down...wait until next one goes off and pull away the hat again...and again...
Replacing the hat prevents ambient light from ruining your efforts between bursts.
This way you get multiple bursts in one frame with out having to wait til the finale for a image full of bursts.
Some experimentation required as you should probably stop the lens down a bit since you will be doing the exposures repeatedly adding quanta of light each time.
Good luck and Happy Fourth of July!

#10 User is offline   Ygoodlove 

• Pip

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

f-number??? Really??? I understand dumbing things down for people but COME ON! f-stop!

#11 User is offline   panzerkunst 

• PipPip

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

View PostKrasniOktabr, on 29 June 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

Already dreading the multitude of fireworks photos that will appear on facebook

LOL

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic