• Group: MW Bot

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

Post your comments for Review: Nine iPad 2 folio-style cases here

#2 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:58 AM

The Targus Versavu was the 360 case. I had one and didn't care for the way it propped up the iPad... it kept falling down if you touched the top of iPad just a little too hard. Nice looking and good idea, but not well thought out.

#3 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

Even with Apple's smartcover the iPad 2 can wake up occasionally. But I can't see how that can matter. As Jason says, the iPad has an auto sleep--usually set to 2 minutes. The battery on my iPad will last more than 10 hours if the iPad is on but idle; which it would be if woken accidentally. So two minutes out of 10 hours, even if happening several times a day makes almost no difference at all.

#4 User is offline   mcody 

• Pip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:20 AM

I'd suggest also looking at the gorgeous ION Factory Carbon Cover case. Its one of the few that protest the back of the iPad plus a lightweight tri-folding cover which uses the magnets for auto wake feature. I have had this for a few months and cannot fault it.

The snap on leather covered rear of the case shows of 100% of the iPad screen unlike many who sadly cover up the black frame of the screen. Its got cut outs inn all the right places, looks amazing in the carbon finish and is very hardwearing.

#5 User is offline   dabbott37 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Good article until you went a little overboard on your Portenzo promotion. You lost credibility.

#6 User is offline   liberlike 

• PipPip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

I would rather prefer a Portfolio case with Bluetooth keyboard facility. Any review coming for making an informed decision from variety of bluetooth keyboards that are made available in the market now?
"As long as I live, so long do I learn"

#7 User is offline   Schienle 

• PipPip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

Nice coverage, Jason. We bought a DODOCase for my wife's iPad 1 last year and went with another DODOCase for my iPad 2 this year. Really nice cases. The spine on mine was a bit taller, but it did eventually settle in like Dodo claims it should. I think keeping it in a pretty tight-fitting STM Scout case may have accelerated that.Yes, magnets would be nice, but that isn't a deal-breaker for me.

What I really liked about my DODOCase was that when I was clutzy enough to drop it and a couple other things on the way into the house one day, it completely protected the iPad 2. The DODOCase cracked on two edges of the bamboo case, but the iPad was unscathed. Along with the DODO, I looked at the Portenzo as a replacement and started to order it when I saw the delivery time was 4-6 weeks. Somewhere in my search for cases, I ran across http://www.etsy.com/...FauberWoodsmith, which is a wood/leather version of Apple's smart cover. I ended up going with that and really like it. It's not stealthy like the DODO or Portenza cases, but it has the main benefits of an Apple cover and looks even better. And it fits better in my STM Scout case, as well.

#8 User is offline   revtdmc 

• Pip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

How come nobody ever mentions that Apple's Smart Cover does not pass the everyday life test. Never ever fold that Smart Cover and put it on a surface that is not totally(!) clean. All kinds of stuff will stick to it and then get on the screen of your iPad. In fact, this Smart Cover is so not everday life ready that I wonder what sort of tests you guys perform.
And about the Scosche Folio Case: I was very intersted in that one (looks nice) but I gather that you can't bend the front part all the way to the back. I may be wrong here but that would not be very useful.

#9 User is offline   atl2pxr 

• Pip

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

I bought from the ifrogz line for my iPad 2 and I'm very happy with mine.

#10 User is offline   jon9509 

• Pip

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

View Postliberlike, on 01 July 2011 - 11:01 AM, said:

I would rather prefer a Portfolio case with Bluetooth keyboard facility. Any review coming for making an informed decision from variety of bluetooth keyboards that are made available in the market now?

Take a look at the Adonit Writer for the iPad 2. It's available on Amazon. I like it a lot-- the keys feel good, though they are rather small.

#11 User is offline   kfoag 

• PipPip

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

View Postjon9509, on 03 July 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

View Postliberlike, on 01 July 2011 - 11:01 AM, said:

Take a look at the Adonit Writer for the iPad 2. It's available on Amazon. I like it a lot-- the keys feel good, though they are rather small.

As I noted in a previous review article, i am keeping a lookout for a review of the new ClamCase for the iPad2. It *looks* like it should be great, but...

#12 User is offline   familymut 

• Pip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

I am going to disagree with the Dodo review. I've had mine for 6-8 weeks. The bamboo corners that secure the iPad are too weak and break frequently. I have glued one or more back together at least 3 times, and now one has split in a way that I don't think I can repair. Would not recommend.

#13 User is offline   mattsmith2 

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

I agree. Dodo case is flimsy and too heavy. Mine broke after 4 weeks of use and the iPad wasn't sitting securely in it anymore. Since then I have opted for the Evio Harmony case which I find is a lighter and more reliable folio case. I got mine on Amazon but I think one can also order directly from their website http://evioconcepts.com/harmony.html

#14 User is offline   KerryWiebe 

• Pip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

I bought the iPad2 for work - to take notes during meetings. I bought a great stylus (Bamboo) and note taking app (Note Taking HD) and I needed a case. I bought the Portenzo case based on the information in this article. The construction, quality and appearance of the case are great. However, it is too big, deep, clunky, heavy and awkward to use. I bought it without the optional back camera hole and have since found a need for the camera. I cannot return it because I embossed my initials on it. Big mistake. I bought a less expensive alternative at a local FutureShop and am much happier with it.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users