Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Remains of the Day: iPad, you pad, we all pad - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Remains of the Day: iPad, you pad, we all pad

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

Post your comments for Remains of the Day: iPad, you pad, we all pad here

#2 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

Not "all." Although I've been a Mac desktop fan since my 128k in 1984, I've yet to plunk down my cash for an iPad. But I will admit the iPad2 is significantly better than the original and being a Newton 2100 user Apple's modern tablets do appeal to me. Even so, I shall continue to retain my cash until Apple puts a decent HD front-facing and better low-light back-facing camera in it, along side a hi-resolution screen. Rumor has it the hi-rez screen may come this year with an iPad2.5, but I doubt the "decent cameras" will come until the iPad3 next year. So until then, it's "iPad, you Pad, we some Pad."

#3 User is offline   FredVermeer 

• PipPip

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

Someday I'll get an iPad! I've wanted one since the first one debuted, and if I had the cash at that time I would have still been happy with it even today as the iPad 2 is available. More resolution? meh. better camera? meh. makes my 2yo and 4yo daughters happy? that's the ticket! I've seen them use demo models in a store, and they were able to understand the concept and were asking me to buy them one NOW - of course, that had to go through the wife first, who nixed the idea, but even she saw the value for the kids, and left it open as a possibility for the future. So, here's to someday! and, I'll be happy with whatever is available at that time, with whatever features it may or may not have...

#4 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

View PostFredVermeer, on 07 July 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

makes my 2yo and 4yo daughters happy

Fred, for that you could buy a Chinese knock-off for $100 and bring thrills to your kids. You don't need an Apple branded product to entertain kids alone. And if you must have an Apple iPad, you could always pick one up on EBAY for much less than retail.

My intentions for it are for myself and our family, hence my desire to see an Apple branded product have better features than the current version offers. I would find the current version "useful," but I would find a newer version with better cameras and higher resolution abundantly "more usable" (i.e., get the best possible "bang for the buck" in an application where many different people in a household will use it).

#5 User is offline   whitedog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

Well, if your product is having trouble keeping up with the competition, the first thing you try is cutting the price. At least Motorola got that part right. We'll just have to wait and see if their next generation Zoom has any compelling feature upgrades. No doubt they'll find something in the iPad2 to copy. ;-)

#6 User is offline   wesley96 

• PipPip

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

My daughter was able to use iPad and iPhone since she was 13 months old. I have some experience with Android phones and tablets and I can say that they would not have been as intuitive for her at that age. The Chinese tablet knock-offs, in particular, have horrible performance imbalance, making it frustrating even for a grown-up. If the kids are liking iPad, get one, not one of the cheap copies.

#7 User is offline   ericole 

• PipPip

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

View PostJDW, on 07 July 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

Not "all." Although I've been a Mac desktop fan since my 128k in 1984, I've yet to plunk down my cash for an iPad. But I will admit the iPad2 is significantly better than the original and being a Newton 2100 user Apple's modern tablets do appeal to me. Even so, I shall continue to retain my cash until Apple puts a decent HD front-facing and better low-light back-facing camera in it, along side a hi-resolution screen. Rumor has it the hi-rez screen may come this year with an iPad2.5, but I doubt the "decent cameras" will come until the iPad3 next year. So until then, it's "iPad, you Pad, we some Pad."

Piling on as a Newton 2100 user. I'm STILL looking for the ability to "write" on it. Just like I could do with my newton - MUCH faster than typing on a touchscreen, and I don't have to use part of the screen for a keyboard.
Eric

To an atheist, G. K. Chesterton somewhere remarked, the universe is the most exquisite mechanism ever constructed by nobody.

http://www.answersin...ntering-critics

#8 User is offline   TheFLP 

• PipPip

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

The remainders for Thursday, July 7, 2011 want to multitouch you all over.

Um ... no. :blink:

I'm STILL looking for the ability to "write" on it. Just like I could do with my newton

As soon as I can manage to eliminate the need for checks and sticky notes, I hope to never have to write again. If I have trouble recognizing my own @#$% handwriting, I can hardly expect my iPad to do any better.

Even writing on my old Palm was a pain.

This post has been edited by TheFLP: 08 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users