Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: What's new in Lion: Mission Control and Launchpad - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's new in Lion: Mission Control and Launchpad

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

Post your comments for What's new in Lion: Mission Control and Launchpad here

#2 User is offline   WarrenS 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

Launch pad must be for iPhone users. I see no use for it at all since I dont have an iPhone.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

#3 User is offline   MrMurf 

• PipPip

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

I find Launchpad serious design misstep. Apple had the opportunity to really make something nice, but it is hobbled with poor design choices that just don't fit the desktop paradigm! The main problem Launchpad should tackle is dock creep where there are so many icons in the dock that they disappear into the sunset because they are so small.

If they incorporated the concepts of Launchpad into a hierarchal dock where you can create folders in the "application" section of the dock by dragging an application on another application in the dock, now that would be something! Then I could put all my writing applications in one folder and my development tools in another folder in the dock and suddenly my dock becomes manageable again. That's what Apple should have done!

Right now, Launchpad is headed for that puffy poof as it is removed from the dock. It is just iCandy that doesn't even taste that sweet. There needs to be some common sense applied to the design of these features and not let the apparent "cool iCandy" factor trump the functionality of the features.

#4 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

I don't get the hate on launchpad. Not everyone perceives things the same way and it's optional

Personally I find the dock fiddely and most of the time I launch apps from spotlight, but I see some value in launchpad - especially for visually organizing less frequently used apps that otherwise wouldn't be in my dock and/or get lost in my Applications folder. Do I think I will use it every time I site in front of my Mac? Probably not - but I will use it more than the dashboard!

#5 User is offline   RayReality 

• Pip

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

Have to say I agree with WarrenS.
Just looking at this ‘launchpad’ screenshot and it's slightly sore on the head!
Apple got to where it is by being the embodiment of ‘Less is More’ ... instead they seem to be now complicating their OS to give us unlimited options to do the same thing that something tells me we don't really require.
The word ‘clutter’ comes to mind.
Anyway maybe they intend X to finish with a ‘Miaow’ to make way for XI (eleven) which after ‘fur’ might just be ‘feather’! And yes there are some nice new features.

#6 User is offline   ErwinMazariegosc8h7 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

Re: "reverse the features you don’t like." For someone who uses dual monitors, and Spaces, to organize and control app windows, and Cmd-Tab or Control-<Space #> to switch between them, is the new Mission Control a step backwards?

I would have appreciated a detailed description of how Cmd-tab works in Lion. Also, how all this works on a 2 monitor setup.

I have 12 Spaces set up, each holds one or more apps. When I launch an app, it automatically goes into its assigned space, on the appropriate monitor. In addition, I have multiple windows of the same browser open in different Spaces. This setup has it's quirks, but is the best compromise I've found on Snow Leopard to manage my apps and workflows. How will this work on Lion?

#7 User is offline   harristype 

• PipPip

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

There also doesn't appear to be a way to rearrange the pages (a la iTunes), at least as far as I can see.

#8 User is offline   feold3 

• PipPip

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

View PostErwinMazariegosc8h7, on 20 July 2011 - 07:31 AM, said:

I have 12 Spaces set up, each holds one or more apps. When I launch an app, it automatically goes into its assigned space, on the appropriate monitor. In addition, I have multiple windows of the same browser open in different Spaces. This setup has it's quirks, but is the best compromise I've found on Snow Leopard to manage my apps and workflows. How will this work on Lion?

If you used the Expose & Spaces preference pane to assign applications to specific spaces in Snow Leopard or earlier, then they remain assigned to those spaces in Lion. However there is no longer an Expose & Spaces preference pane. Some of its functionality is included in the new Mission Control pane, but not the ability to assign applications to specific Desktops (spaces). Instead, you right click (or control click or click and hold) on the app's icon in the dock. Under Options in the popup menu you have a choice of Assign To All Desktops, This Desktop, or None". It's awkward compared to the old method, but it works. Hopefully it will be improved in a future update.

#9 User is offline   TimothyLaDuca7qq6 

• Pip

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:49 AM

"If you want to delete an app, you do have to do the click-and-hold dance," actually no, just press option key.

#10 User is offline   rgbworld 

• PipPip

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

View PostMrMurf, on 20 July 2011 - 07:13 AM, said:

The main problem Launchpad should tackle is dock creep where there are so many icons in the dock that they disappear into the sunset because they are so small.

If they incorporated the concepts of Launchpad into a hierarchal dock where you can create folders in the "application" section of the dock by dragging an application on another application in the dock, now that would be something! Then I could put all my writing applications in one folder and my development tools in another folder in the dock and suddenly my dock becomes manageable again. That's what Apple should have done!

Right now, Launchpad is headed for that puffy poof as it is removed from the dock.

I agree 100%. You hit the nail on the head in summarizing the problem and the solution. Please send your concept to Apple dev!

#11 User is offline   Rhywun 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

I don't see any obvious way to rename a folder in Launchpad. I open the folder and click on the name like Help says, but it doesn't let me rename the folder. Anyway with 7 pages of apps this doesn't seem like a very efficient way to launch anything for me.

#12 User is offline   disappointed 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

I find launchpad the most useless feature of Lion. it is just like an icon view of the Applications folder.
by the way, I rolled back to snow leopard

#13 User is offline   disappointed 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:03 AM

I also hope Apple will change its long term direction. I already have an iPad and I do not need a second one as big as a desktop computer.
seriously thinking about moving back to Linux...

#14 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:58 AM

View PostMrMurf, on 20 July 2011 - 07:13 AM, said:

Fantastic idea!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users