Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OCR for Lion? Both FineReader and ReadIris incompatible

#1 User is offline   tgeorge 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

Both FineReader and ReadIris being incompatible with Lion, what professional OCR would you people suggest me? I am trying OCRKit, which is good, but not as accurate as FineReader was. Is there another professional OCR for Lion?

#2 User is offline   Zozon 

• Pip

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Same thing with me. I need compatible OCR asap. Please help.

#3 User is offline   tgeorge 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:36 AM

Well, after spending the whole night investigating the different options, I discovered only two OCR apps compatible with Lion, and worthy of mentioning. One is:

PDF OCR X
http://solutions.weblite.ca/pdfocrx/

and it relies on the open-source OCR engine Tesseract.

The other app is the one I talked about in my original message:

OCRKit
http://ocrkit.com/

and it relies on a different open-source engine, called CuneiForm.

Both engines are inferior to FineReader and they haven't been developed much, ever since they were released as open-source. In fact, they were released without much documentation, so their current maintainers don't even know how some parts work.

PDF OCR X and OCRKit serve as a graphical interface to these engines.

#4 User is offline   harrysc 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

Abbyy FineReader for Lion is available on the App Store. Price $99.

I downloaded it yesterday and it worked fine. I have it linked to the Epson GT-S50 scanner to provide scannable PDF's.

#5 User is offline   JonJ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:43 PM

View Posttgeorge, on 21 July 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

Both FineReader and ReadIris being incompatible with Lion, what professional OCR would you people suggest me? I am trying OCRKit, which is good, but not as accurate as FineReader was. Is there another professional OCR for Lion?

ReadIris being incompatible is news to me. My ReadIris Pro 12 works fine with Lion.

#6 User is offline   tgeorge 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:47 AM

View PostJonJ, on 23 August 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

ReadIris being incompatible is news to me. My ReadIris Pro 12 works fine with Lion.

Back when I wrote my message, ReadIris Pro 12 was listed as incompatible on the website Roaring Apps, and described as "greatly inferior to version 11 and it doesn't work with Lion". Now, it is listed as compatible, although the old description is still there:

http://roaringapps.com/app:1184

So, yes, ReadIris Pro 12 works fine with Lion. But I learned in the meantime that there is a 50-page limit, something you wouldn't expect from a Pro version. And this limitation is not mentioned in the Mac App Store; it's mentioned only on the ReadIris website.

#7 User is offline   Steve Self 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

READ Iris must be having issues... They have an update from 12.0 to 12.0.5 (I think) yet it does not work, at least in Lion. I downloaded it 3x and each time it failed to install or function it said it had zero kb to install... Then I went to tell them this and their only method of contact is a web based form and it does not function in Safari or Firefox. The drop down menus for product and version do not function and you cannot submit a form without selecting these. So they are left thinking everything is fine because no one is asking for support.

#8 User is offline   tgeorge 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

View PostSteve Self, on 24 August 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

READ Iris must be having issues... They have an update from 12.0 to 12.0.5 (I think) yet it does not work, at least in Lion. I downloaded it 3x and each time it failed to install or function it said it had zero kb to install... Then I went to tell them this and their only method of contact is a web based form and it does not function in Safari or Firefox. The drop down menus for product and version do not function and you cannot submit a form without selecting these. So they are left thinking everything is fine because no one is asking for support.

I just tried their website, and I see what you mean. On their Technical Support Contact page:

http://www.irislink....in-the-U-S.aspx

the combobox for Product and Version is empty by default. However, once you select your OS, the Product combobox should populate with values. Then, once you select your Product, the Version combobox should populate with values. Basically, you have to fill the information in order. If you still have problems, maybe the following contact form will work:

http://www.irislink....A---Canada.aspx

#9 User is offline   Cubytus32 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Although I don't have a clue about its compatibility with Lion, I have consistently fine results with Adobe Acrobat X, and it's nowhere as nagging as ReadIris, which I ended up dumping in a drawer.
MacBook Pro 8,1, 16GB, 750GB
Mac OS X 10.6.8 as main OS (Thanks, trusty old BlackBook!), 10.7.3 for playing around.
Politely tell Apple what they did wrong with Mavericks: give them feedback!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users