• Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Post your comments for Sonos Play:3 here

#2 User is offline   Alfiejr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

oh, this a a terrible "puff" review.

first, it fails to note that a separate $50 "Bridge" unit is also required for wifi wireless connections, which most people want (how many homes are wired for ethernet?).

but more important, it begs the question - for Mac users - of why not just use seamless built-in AirPlay? the same subscription services will work, if you want them. the idea that anyone frequently plays two different music channels in two rooms simultaneouly from one control device is a total stretch. and if you did, you can just use two iOS gizmos or Macs with AirPlay and get the same result, probably with less confusion too.

of course Android and Windows users don't have AirPlay, so maybe this review is really for them.

most of all, it fails to note the real compeition: iHome's upcoming iW1, which is totally wifi and AirPlay ready at $300 plus being fully portable with recharging battery - obviously more convenient. or if it is matter of sound quality, the more expensive new AirPlay ready powered speaker units of several brands coming out now.

so giving this Sonos unit a 5 star MacWorld rating is a total unwarranted gift. one star MUST be subtracted simply because it is not AirPlay compatible, right off the top (is this a Mac site or an Android/Windows site??). another 1/2 star needs to be deducted because it requires a wifi add-on unit to be truely useful in most homes, and still is not really portable.

bad, bad.

#3 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

View PostAlfiejr, on 25 July 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

oh, this a a terrible "puff" review.

I can see how you might feel that way if you didn't read it carefully. Let me help.

first, it fails to note that a separate $50 "Bridge" unit is also required for wifi wireless connections, which most people want (how many homes are wired for ethernet?).

Incorrect. You can jack any Sonos component into a router with an Ethernet cable. You can certainly choose to purchase a Sonos Bridge but you can also plug the Play:3 or any other Sonos component into the router and other Sonos units will use its connection wirelessly.

but more important, it begs the question - for Mac users - of why not just use seamless built-in AirPlay? the same subscription services will work, if you want them. the idea that anyone frequently plays two different music channels in two rooms simultaneouly from one control device is a total stretch. and if you did, you can just use two iOS gizmos or Macs with AirPlay and get the same result, probably with less confusion too.

I'm going to assume you live alone. In my home we routinely listen to different music in different rooms. My daughter listens to her music in her room on a Play:5. My wife listens to her music in the living room with a ZonePlayer 120 connected to speakers, and in my office I listen to my music while working with a ZonePlayer 90 that's jacked into a stereo receiver.

Your remark about "confusion" clearly demonstrates that you've never touched a Sonos system. If you had you'd understand that the AirPlay setup with multiple Apple devices is not as simple as you suggest. I've set up both AirPlay and Sonos systems, and the Sonos is hands-down easier.

There's also the issue of streaming subscription services. Some of these services allow only one device at a time to access the service. With my Sonos I can have different subscription content playing in different rooms because the Sonos system is seen as one device. Try that with two iOS devices. Depending on the service you could be denied. Additionally, for those services that limit you to a certain number of devices, the Sonos is not counted against the limit. For example, Rhapsody lets you authorize up to three iOS devices.

most of all, it fails to note the real compeition: iHome's upcoming iW1, which is totally wifi and AirPlay ready at $300 plus being fully portable with recharging battery - obviously more convenient. or if it is matter of sound quality, the more expensive new AirPlay ready powered speaker units of several brands coming out now.

So, you're comparing the Sonos to devices that don't yet exist? How exactly can you judge their value or sound quality? I've written about a living, breathing product. One that's dead simple to set up, sounds great, plays different music in different rooms, and runs on its own mesh network, thus not relying on a Wi-Fi network that may be tasked with other things. You're recommending products that you've only heard about.

AirPlay is a very cool technology. But it ain't Sonos.

so giving this Sonos unit a 5 star MacWorld rating is a total unwarranted gift. one star MUST be subtracted simply because it is not AirPlay compatible, right off the top (is this a Mac site or an Android/Windows site??). another 1/2 star needs to be deducted because it requires a wifi add-on unit to be truely useful in most homes, and still is not really portable.

I'm afraid that your response to this review merits not a single mouse. Sonos does work with AirPlay, unless you're undernourished, there's a good chance that most people can lift a 6-pound speaker, and, as I mentioned, you're completely in the dark about the Bridge.

Bad, bad.

#4 User is offline   mvivas 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

What is the real benefit of having two speakers (one hooked up via your internet router) and another in the room vs having a speaker somewhere else and using a Sonos bridge. Does the bridge only provide "portability" or does it also "filter" the wifi so that congestion won't affect sound quality?

#5 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

View Postmvivas, on 26 July 2011 - 05:54 AM, said:

What is the real benefit of having two speakers (one hooked up via your internet router) and another in the room vs having a speaker somewhere else and using a Sonos bridge. Does the bridge only provide "portability" or does it also "filter" the wifi so that congestion won't affect sound quality?

The bridge provides portability. The idea is that Sonos components run on their own network, separate from your regular Wi-Fi network. Each unit repeats the signal, thus providing greater range when you have multiple units. So filtering doesn't come into it.

#6 User is offline   butersl 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

I purchased my Sonos Play 3 last Thursday and it arrived on Friday. I was pretty excited. I did upgrade to Lion on Thursday. After I hooked up my system, I realized I was on HOLD due to the software issues with Lion. I realized I could use my iPhone to stream music.

Here are my initial observations. (glad there is a 45 day return policy)
1. The system sounds great. Great sound out of a small device
2. No line-In port. After this Lion Issue, I realized if Sonos decides not to support future OS versions or they go under, my speaker is useless.
3. I have some other great audio software (i.e. DJay). I'm not sure if this will work.
4. I really don't like the fact that I have to play music from their interface. I'd live to play directly from iTunes. I think AirPlay would be super nice!
5. I was a bit confused about the Bridge. I have mine hardwired into my router, but really wanted wireless. Hate the fact that I have to buy a $50 bridge.

I may be happier once I get my Lion version of the software. Until then, I'm on the fence.

#7 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

View Postbutersl, on 26 July 2011 - 07:14 AM, said:

4. I really don't like the fact that I have to play music from their interface. I'd live to play directly from iTunes. I think AirPlay would be super nice!

You can, but you'll need an AirPort Express to do it. I explain how to do it here.

#8 User is offline   butersl 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

View PostChris Breen, on 26 July 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

View Postbutersl, on 26 July 2011 - 07:14 AM, said:

You can, but you'll need an AirPort Express to do it. I explain how to do it here.

Don't think this will work "...string an audio cable from the base station’s audio output port to an audio input on a Sonos unit. " Play 3 doesn't have an Audio Input jack.

#9 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:00 AM

View Postbutersl, on 26 July 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

Don't think this will work "...string an audio cable from the base station’s audio output port to an audio input on a Sonos unit. " Play 3 doesn't have an Audio Input jack.

That's correct. If you have only the Play:3, it won't work. However, most Sonos users have multiple units and of a variety of types. Add any Sonos unit other than the Play:3 or Bridge and you've got AirPlay.

#10 User is offline   butersl 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostChris Breen, on 26 July 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

View Postbutersl, on 26 July 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

That's correct. If you have only the Play:3, it won't work. However, most Sonos users have multiple units and of a variety of types. Add any Sonos unit other than the Play:3 or Bridge and you've got AirPlay.

You getting paid by Sonos? ;-)

#11 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

View Postbutersl, on 26 July 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

You getting paid by Sonos? ;-)

Not cool.

It's a multi-room music system. How difficult a stretch is it to imagine that you'd have more than one?

#12 User is offline   Moozh 

• Pip

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

Looking at the not so favorable comments here, I have to sit dumbfounded in my chair and say "wow". I have to presume that these folk that put fingers to keyboard to expound on reasons why the sonos unit is flawed can't have used it much if at all.

As for 'buters' all I can state is that the flaw is not in the sonos software, it is in Lion. The software will be modified to rectify. After all it worked flawlessly in snow leopard and as soon as Lion came aboard, it failed. But if you keep your media files on a NAS it still works fine. The issue is if your media files and music index file is hosted on your mac, then there is an issue. Actually, Lion 'broke' the ability for the mac to connect to various NAS units (netgear readynas for example), folks should hardly 'blame' the NAS, the newly introduced curveball is Lion. All the same, it will be rectified.

In the meanwhile you have a sonos app for iPhone, iPad, Android, PC and the CR200 sonos controller.

I have a s5 and a zp90 and am expecting to purchase a pair of s3's or s5's in a short while, not sure which. They have been pure joy, easy as pie to set up (I came from a squeezebox w/ vortexbox), I couldn't be happier and am lost when I hear folks criticize and suggest that there is any other product in this sphere that dares suggest it is easier to set up. I have used most of the known immediate competitors and Sonos surpasses them all with regard ease of setup. Honestly a non-tech anyone can unbox these things and be listening to music in 10-minutes and 5 of those minutes would have been spent unboxing and reading the quick-start pamphlet.

Why one would choose to play music directly from iTunes rather than the Sonos program has me at a loss. iTunes will solely play your music (audible included) collection, what about the hundreds of streamed radio stations from all over the world, sirius-xm, rdio, spotify, rhapsody, mog, last FM, napster, pandora, aupeo, stitcher? iTunes only accounts for it's own library and Sonos can play all of the non-DRM ones easily.

The versatility and fidelity of this system is outstanding, I am utterly lost on the nay-saying.. Not that it is perfect..few things are in life, after all, Sonos still does not and has no near term plan to have 'Slacker radio', I don't know why. Frankly, that is it's sole shortcoming so far as my year long ownership of my Sonos system, else I'm lost to think of where it's a failure.

#13 User is offline   SteveDuev5y 

• Pip

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:28 AM

Great review! I'm just about to buy a Sonos speaker ... Either a single Play 5 or pair of Play3. Which setup has the better sound? Also, how does the single 5 & paired 3 compare to the Zeppelin Air? Thanks

#14 User is offline   augustwest200 

• Pip

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

I keep adding zones to my house (up to seven now) and i have to say nothing works as well and is as easy to set up as Sonos. As Jobs would say: "It just works." I spent years hacking together stuff from scratch and trying squeeze box and other solutions but nothing is as seamless as Sonos. It's one of those devices that you need to try to appreciate; reading some specs or a review can't convey how awesome Sonos is. Buy a couple from Amazon and return them if you don't like them.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users