Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Did you use submissions from Twitter?

#3 User is offline   Philip Michaels 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

View Postrtanen, on 17 August 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

Did you use submissions from Twitter?

We used two, as a matter of fact, including one submission from someone you might know very well.

#4 User is offline   jazzace 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

I'm in the middle of listening to the episode and wanted to just tell Jason Snell that TiVo is not a "done" technology in markets like Canada where the cable/satellite companies do not have transferrable PVRs (CableCard). Until last month, my cable company only offered a PVR with a horrid UI that looked like it was developed in the 1990s (actually, it probably was) with PVR functionality as an afterthought. It was only a few months ago when they updated that UI so that recordings could be displayed in folders by show (yes, what TiVo has done since Day 1). We have had an HDTV for 2.5 years and continue to use an SD TiVo (since we can't use the HD models in Canada) on analogue cable. Admittedly, no one is really selling TiVos in Canada now, so in that way it is "done," but that is only because of government regulation (or lack thereof) to allow competition in set top boxes. Yes, TiVo will be done soon as we move from recording most shows to getting them on demand, but it is far from dead in markets that don't have PVR competition, or Hulu, or a decent selection on Netflix…

#5 User is offline   Jason Snell 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

I admit being kind of bold by saying TiVo's done, but I think at this point the market for third-party DVRs is almost dead. I think most people will just deal with the terrible DVR from their cable/satellite company. Sad, but true! Also, TiVo hasn't helped matters by failing to really improve the core of their product.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users