Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: HP to spin off PC business, shutter webOS device division - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HP to spin off PC business, shutter webOS device division

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

Post your comments for HP to spin off PC business, shutter webOS device division here

#2 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

Apple is quiet until they deliver. Others brag and brag how great their products are going to be, and when it doesn't pan out, they fold before they even get started. What a joke.

Why anybody would put stock in anything HP says about anything after this date is just asking to be taken.

This post has been edited by leicaman: 18 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#3 User is offline   SuperMatt 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Wow, all those Touchpad buyers are gonna be SOL on product support and/or apps! Oh wait, there weren't any Touchpad buyers.

#4 User is offline   Buffyzdead 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

I would RUN BACK, not walk, to return any recent WebOS device purchases.

Sent from my iPad 2

#5 User is offline   Lenjc1957 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

I guess this means that Mr. Stephen DeWitt-less is now officially out of a job. Unless someone out there is looking to hire a full-time professional Obfuscator.

#6 User is offline   SFrawley 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

View PostSuperMatt, on 18 August 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

Wow, all those Touchpad buyers are gonna be SOL on product support and/or apps! Oh wait, there weren't any Touchpad buyers.

They were SOL the day they bought from a supplier trying to compete in a market that is of a commodity mindset.

As for PCs, when I bought my new PC, I wanted the highest quality hardware AND Stellar support, so I got a MacBook Pro. No need for support yet, but I know if I need it it will be great and it will be from somebody in America that doesn't try to brush me off.
Steve Frawley
Tax, Accounting & Computers Svcs
Since 1984

#7 User is offline   bazaarsoft 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Geesh - talk about a company of fools. They (arguably) have the best shot at taking advantage of the major shift in computing that's happening now (tablets). Apple is the only one making money at the moment, but HP, owning the whole experience, could follow suit give time and direction. Even Google has finally figured this out (Moto purchase).

They should have given Ruben the reigns and let him run.

IDIOTS.

#8 User is offline   Photonerd 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Gee and I was so looking forward to having that "real good time" with the singing spokesmodel on their ads. She was clearly the best thing about that tablet platform if you ask me. lol

I love how RIM touted its vaporware for months and now HP is shutting its entry down less than 6 months into the battle. Pwned.
Basking in the glow of iPad Retina goodness.

#9 User is offline   Lenjc1957 

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

Oh, did I mention that I'm shocked, shocked to find that the brilliant marketing campaign featuring Russell Brand failed to give the TouchPad any traction? Well, I am.

#10 User is offline   heisetax 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

Apple had some of these same problems when Steve Jobs came back. One of the things he did was to cancel the Authorized Mac Clones. His reason for this was because they were taking sales away from the top end Apple Mac models. He said that Apple wanted the Clones to take care of the low end. But then Steve Jobs first new computer was the iMac, the low end. Now with the iToys being the new low end, followed by the actual lower end Macs, & that leaves no room for the actual high end Macs. Remember that part of the pie that Steve Jobs did not want to give up.

Knowing the way Steve Jobs is you will remember that he wants to be in complete control. Hardwarewise if Apple does not make it it can not be sold. Hence no Clone allowed even though he does not want to support that item. Apple wastes money here.

HP wants to be more profitable. So they want to copy the companies around them like IBM & Apple. Because like Apple, HP wants to, right or wrong, change its direction, thus the new CEO. Like Apple they are wasting a lot of money. Tis can be seen my the purchase of the WebOS, making a device, then before 6 months is up canceling the device. This is just like the waste that happened when Steve Jobs came back & helped Apple change there direction. Just like Apple they cancel program(s) before they have real time to succeed. Sounds like what happened to Apple. Also they see how well that IBM does without being in the personal PC market.

#11 User is offline   MacTechAspen 

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

HP buys Palm for WebOS and just over a year and $1.2 Billion later (plus all the R&D since) they shut it down. Lack of commitment or a stellar job of reading the tea leaves?
Life, like wine, is all about balance.

#12 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

The clones (and I used a Umax for awhile) were taking sales away from all Apple Mac models. Don't forget that PowerMac regularly beat Apple to market with higher speed processors. Apple didn't have a sustainable business as an OS vendor (see Palm) and the clones were killing the hardware business. I suppose Apple could have exited the desktop business and focused solely on laptops, but doubt that would have paid the development costs. Plus, Apple's laptops were going through a mediocre phase of their own.

As for no "actual" high end Macs, exactly what do you think the Mac Pro is? I'm disappointed that there's no actual Mid range headless Macs. I would have bought one for my lab 5 years ago if it had been available. Mind you, Thunderbolt has a lot of potential functionality that one used to need a card to get. I wish they'd go for a fat Mac Mini--double the height and allow some plug-ins.

View Postheisetax, on 18 August 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

Apple had some of these same problems when Steve Jobs came back. One of the things he did was to cancel the Authorized Mac Clones. His reason for this was because they were taking sales away from the top end Apple Mac models. He said that Apple wanted the Clones to take care of the low end. But then Steve Jobs first new computer was the iMac, the low end. Now with the iToys being the new low end, followed by the actual lower end Macs, & that leaves no room for the actual high end Macs. Remember that part of the pie that Steve Jobs did not want to give up.

Knowing the way Steve Jobs is you will remember that he wants to be in complete control. Hardwarewise if Apple does not make it it can not be sold. Hence no Clone allowed even though he does not want to support that item. Apple wastes money here.

HP wants to be more profitable. So they want to copy the companies around them like IBM & Apple. Because like Apple, HP wants to, right or wrong, change its direction, thus the new CEO. Like Apple they are wasting a lot of money. Tis can be seen my the purchase of the WebOS, making a device, then before 6 months is up canceling the device. This is just like the waste that happened when Steve Jobs came back & helped Apple change there direction. Just like Apple they cancel program(s) before they have real time to succeed. Sounds like what happened to Apple. Also they see how well that IBM does without being in the personal PC market.

#13 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

View PostMacTechAspen, on 18 August 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

HP buys Palm for WebOS and just over a year and $1.2 Billion later (plus all the R&D since) they shut it down. Lack of commitment or a stellar job of reading the tea leaves?

Well, if they were so stellar, they wouldn't have made the acquisition, unless they just wanted Palm's IP to license to others. HP is trying to become a mini-IBM. They have now cut the remaining ties to the Carly Fiorina era, as well as the Palm acquisition. Michael Dell is out there tweeting that the spun off PC business should be renamed Compaq. I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS or Lenovo buys it.

#14 User is offline   SebastianDangerfield 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

HP should have just stuck with oscilloscopes and other test equipment.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users