• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

#15 User is offline   wolfandfox 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

Steve picked the perfect time to do this. In less than a month, iOS 5, iPhone 5, iPod touch gen 5, and iCloud are going to drop like a nuclear bomb on the phone/computer/consumer electronics world. After the panicky Wall Streeters who absolutely do not understand Apple sell off tomorrow and cause the stock to drop, it will rebound like a rocket over the next quarter. Too bad I can't afford to buy any of the stock.

#16 User is offline   KAdamsInCO 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Speechless. Sad. But optimistic about Apples future. :-(

#17 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Since he used "unfortunately" in his letter, it doesn't look good in terms of his health. :-( Apple will be just fine under Tim Cook (tomorrow's stock price drop notwithstanding).

#18 User is offline   WarrenS 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Steve was the core of Apple. I hope he takes it easy and outlives Bill Gates… and I wish Bill lives to be a hundred.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

#19 User is offline   richcon 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

It sounds like this is makes the current temporary situation permanent: during his medical leave of absence, Tim Cook has been handling the day-to-day running of the company while Steve has provided oversight and direction.

Steve has been an incredible leader for this company and I wish the best for him, his health, his family, and his new job as Chairman. Back when he and Woz first founded Apple, he set out to do more than make computers. He said he wanted to change the world. Few people, and no other tech leader I know of, has done more to change the world.

#20 User is offline   MrMe 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

With a few bumps along the way, over a period of 35 years, Steve Jobs took Apple from a garage to the position of highest capitalized company in America. Unlike the case of other billionaires, when you think of Jobs, you think of his products and the companies that provide them. Remarkably, he founded three companies that changed the world--Apple, NeXT, and Pixar. If there was a better corporate executive on the planet, then I would love to know.

I feel that I have lost a friend. I hope against hope that by handing over the reigns of Apple to Tim Cook, Jobs can now devote his full energies toward improving his health. I hope.

I understand that in preparation for this day that Jobs built the best bench in Corporate America. Tim Cook is a good man and has a lot of very good people to support him. I trust that they will continue to follow the map that Jobs drew for them.

Please, please, please, Steve--get well. Please?

#21 User is offline   DHamilton778 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

He is the very breath the we look for as a voice of the future, guiding a generation of computer/music lovers into an age of deliverence, both in information, and stewardship of our collective assets in managing the information that makes up our lives. Guiding Apple to the high road of success, through its people and its advanced technology, there is not a household in America, let alone the world that hasn't heard of Apple or that the emblem does not adorn a space within its walls. We will continue to look to him and those he endorses to carry on the torch or cutting edge advancement that moves our lives, today, and in the future! Here's to you Steve...!

#22 User is offline   RASTERMAN 

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Damn.

Steve, you will be sorely missed. The day-to-day leadership will continue to be in good hands with Tim Cook. He's got the skills and is surrounded by more talent than can be accounted for.

Few people have affected my personal & professional life as much as you have, at least technologically. I've been using Apple stuff since 1979... I expect to continue to do so for another 30+ years!

All the best to you and your family,

---RASTER
(aka Jeff Koffel)

:(

#23 User is offline   suds 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Wonder if the "little pee-pee" strategy will finally end?
(or possibly get worse)
Also bad time to leave for stock prices.

#24 User is offline   muchospanish 

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

On the latest podcast of The Critical Path, Horace Dediu compares Steve to the great thinkers of the renaissance. He changed a lot. Closed system? Yes, but that's a matter of opinion if you think it's terrible or great. I like it a lot, personally, although I understand how someone would prefer an open system.

Steve gave us a lot of excitement during his stints with apple. That he could captivate so many of us the way he did shows what a genius he is. Much more than charisma; actually, after showing some people portions of various notes, they said he was much more low key and normal than the way I had built him up, although they liked the style a lot. If he was able to create a reality distortion field, it's because he so successful communicated his vision of his products. (Past tense in this paragraph only denotes past keynotes.)

I will miss him for his leadership and i am sad that such a career has to end this way. I wish him the best in his personal life. He's earned it.

Dan

#25 User is offline   Block_Head 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Well, like the Moody Blues "saw a list of dates, and we knew we would last...to see...them...all" perhaps Steve had his own list of dates that he wanted to last...to see...them...all?" Didn't he say the iPad was his dream or something?

#26 User is offline   BruceKaplansidr 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

Part of Jobs gift was to assemble brilliant teams of people, and the team remains. Let's hope the spirit of Apple is well infused in the team, and let wish Steve luck in his battle for life, and let's wish Tim Cook luck in leading one of the most valuable companies in the world.

#27 User is offline   TheEdge 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

The loss of Steve Jobs will be felt more by Apple than the loss of Gates by MS. But Apple will continue to excel because of the vision of Jobs. I believe Tim Cook will continue in the same vein as Steve. It will be instructive to watch Apple stock over the next few days. Thanks Steve for saving Apple back in 1997 and preserving the "Apple Vision" for your fans.

#28 User is offline   lkrupp 

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

Steve Jobs actually put a dent in the universe. That's more than most of us could claim.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users