• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

#29 User is offline   DjWeidemaneuj2 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

He created an amazing American success story with Apple, brought it back from the brink and Apple is now the most valuable company in the world.

Job well done, Steve.

#30 User is offline   pfax 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

View PostTurtleHeartw3ht, on 24 August 2011 - 03:17 PM, said:

Personally, I think Jobs is clearly a unique genius. However, his endorsement of such bizarre control and closing of the Apple computing platform has been tragic and distasteful, leading the computing community around the world not forward, but backwards, even while the products he oversees are so innovative. An enigmatic and unique, independent businessman, a teacher for the entire world coupled with an obsession for control that is pathologic and unhealthy for that same industry. I am conflicted between my admiration of him and my disgust at his obsession for money and control. However, I join with all in hoping his health will be OK, that his great mind and independent spirit will yet serve to guide the technology community to even greater achievements. While I am deeply concerned about the direction Apple has been taking in recent years, I admire his spirit and wish for him all the best at this period of his life. A really unique, beautiful and aggravating human being. God bless you Steve Jobs.

I share 200% your views and feelings. I also wish all the best to Steve, as a human being, I'm sorry to see his health problems. I also recognize his enormous contributions to rebuild Apple as a strong , innovative company. But I am appalled by the total reversal of the 1984 ad spirit and mission - with Apple now seating in the opposite side.

While I don't see this as a unique Apple/Jobs phenomena, since we see a general shift in the industry towards controlling user access and information to the point of abuse (of privacy, for once, of overdose of ads forced on our throats, for another), it is particularly hard to understand this shift in a company that was at the forefront of user empowerment, like Apple was. No matter what blind fans say, it is utterly ridiculous to travel back 10 years or more in user empowerment in simple things such as trasfering files, deleting or handling then, etc, without the convoluted "process" of iOS to and from iTunes; and the bigbrother approach of AppStore - where now Apple gets to know exactly each and every thing we buy and install, whether we want or not. I am one of the few people that actually read the 40 some (!!) pages of terms before beginning to use my iPAD, and I am outraged that only by page 3o some, well after most people gave up on reading legalese, it talks about the use of personal information - and were it defines "opt out" not as getting rid of ads, but of getting poorly targeted ads(!!!), which says everything about how far the philosophical shift has gone at Apple.

I am hoping for another woman throwing a hammer and blow this away, but I dont see it happening soon.

Long life to Steve. And long life to a new, different Apple, after Steve.

This post has been edited by pfax: 24 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

#31 User is offline   carolrobitschek 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

I would really like to tell Steve Jobs what a difference he has made to the world of learning. Thank you.

#32 User is offline   DonBiggsd8mw 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

One of a kind...

#33 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

I doubt Steve reads these boards, but I wish him all the best. I hope he regains his health and enjoys a long, happy life outside the blazing spotlight that comes with being Apple's most successful and charismatic CEO. As chairman, he can still influence the direction of the company and with Cook at the helm, nothing much will change as to how the company operates.

#34 User is offline   reden 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

View PostTurtleHeartw3ht, on 24 August 2011 - 03:17 PM, said:

Personally, I think Jobs is clearly a unique genius. However, his endorsement of such bizarre control and closing of the Apple computing platform has been tragic and distasteful, leading the computing community around the world not forward, but backwards, even while the products he oversees are so innovative. An enigmatic and unique, independent businessman, a teacher for the entire world coupled with an obsession for control that is pathologic and unhealthy for that same industry. I am conflicted between my admiration of him and my disgust at his obsession for money and control. However, I join with all in hoping his health will be OK, that his great mind and independent spirit will yet serve to guide the technology community to even greater achievements. While I am deeply concerned about the direction Apple has been taking in recent years, I admire his spirit and wish for him all the best at this period of his life. A really unique, beautiful and aggravating human being. God bless you Steve Jobs.

Make your own company, and run it the way you like it. He did whatever he felt needed to be done to fix Apple and make it as successful as it is today. If companies were ran under expectations like yours, well... good luck. Who are you to judge him or anyone? People are never happy with anything these days. Always having opinions about the decisions others make, what does it matter to you? Get over it.

#35 User is offline   ElProto 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Just for accuracy, Steve had his original pancreatic diagnosis and surgery well before liver transplant in 2009.

#36 User is offline   erussell 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Truly, he did it the old fashioned way. He earned it.

#37 User is offline   JakeTesler5 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Personally, I am worried about Apple's future. Lets face it, for the last few years Steve has been the "visionary leader" of Apple. Not only that, but he has been the "public face" of the company. He brought us the iPad, and let us not forget, he saved the company from some of its lowest points it had ever reached. He has been a great leader, but I think in his new role (Board member), he won't be able to fully carry out his visions or ideas. I know he is sick, and I wish him the best, but how can Apple REALLY continue without Steve behind the wheel? I just hope Tim Cook can fill his shoes...

#38 User is offline   Swinter 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Steve I hope you get well soon! Thank you for such great products!

#39 User is offline   heymarita2mw5 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Thank you Steve Jobs! You've made our lives so much easier with your great products and the computer world would be a lot less beautiful without your contribution!

#40 User is offline   charlituna 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

This is not really a shock. I figured the moment he went on medical leave and put Tim back in charge that it was only a matter of time before it was official. I'm actually more shocked they waited this long. Then again, with the topping Exxon etc this is a good time to do it.

#41 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

One of Steve Jobs' biggest successes at Apple has been building the company and culture into a force that doesn't require him to be very successful. He has found and cultivated an amazing team at the top of Apple and instilled the entire organization with a drive to excellence we could use a lot more of in American business. He truly has been one of the most effective leaders in the history of American business.

#42 User is offline   zaidannaxaz0 

• Pip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

So sorry to hear that Steve is leaving I admired him as a business man and will continue to relate Apple to Steve Jobs
. Most of all I wish him and sending prayers his way to his health .
Will miss you Steve ! Good Luck and May God Continue to Bless You!

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users