Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Report: Cook addresses Apple employees via email - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Report: Cook addresses Apple employees via email

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

Post your comments for Report: Cook addresses Apple employees via email here

#2 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

Cook's humility would prevent him for pointing out he is also quite responsible for Apple's success over the years. Jobs is so important it's simply a fact of life that he will be missed. But Cook's ability to manage the company so well has already been proven.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#3 User is offline   newsjunkie 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hhhmmmm...
Not so sure about that...
Going forward are we going to have more half-baked Lion releases and iPhone 5 delays??
Is this the type of Microsoft leadership that Cook brings?

#4 User is offline   bvl1 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

What exactly was half-baked about the Lion release? It was released when it was supposed to be, there were no particular SNAFU's regarding its release...I've heard very little about "I couldn't download it" or "the App Store crashed". Everyone I know who wanted it, got it, when they wanted. What's half-baked about that?

As for iPhone 5 delays...how do you back up a claim that a product that hasn't even been announced...that's not even seen the light of day...is delayed? How? Does it count as a delay that it hasn't arrived as quickly as YOU'D like? Is that the litmus test? "I want it Tuesday! What? Its not coming out until Thursday? That's a delay of 2 days!" A "delay" is announcing a product, announcing a ship date, and then pushing that date back. In order to have a delay, there had to be a date to begin with, which there has not been. Apple doesn't owe you a product on your schedule. In fact, nobody does. So why not take a breath a relax.

View Postnewsjunkie, on 25 August 2011 - 06:43 AM, said:

Hhhmmmm...
Going forward are we going to have more half-baked Lion releases and iPhone 5 delays??

This post has been edited by bvl1: 25 August 2011 - 07:01 AM

#5 User is offline   MacRaven 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

Can we request a Vulcan Mind Meld here?

#6 User is offline   dons2 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

Steve is handing down several legacies. One is that he groomed one person to "take over" when he decides to step aside. Most CEOs are so insecure that they would not take that risk.

A second legacy is that he shared his dream and determination with a small number of thoughtful persons within the Apple family. He taught them how to work,sometimes fight, and persevere to reach the real goal, not next month's statistic.

He was not a loan wolf. His third lesson is that in concert with others, he developed strategic goals that were practical and achievable.

In the 1950s, some deep thinkers said that television would revolutionize education. 60 years later, it is obvious that TV did not produce a golden age of learning.

It remains to be seen whether, with the help of "Apple" computers, society will be transformed by the benevolent members of our societies.

dons2

#7 User is offline   mrobertson 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

You could also argue that the announcement was carefully timed as well, knowing this would be stunning news and the impact on shares and the shear media frenzy that would follow would cause a blip in the fabric of the universe.
This will allow everything to settle down and restore some calm before the new products are announced in the following months and the "we have another bucket load of money" announcement with the Oct quarterly report to make everyone feel OK again.
In all of this we have to remember that Steve has left for a reason. I sincerely hope this is not health related and wish him all the best in the future. When it comes to employees he has been a stellar performer.

#8 User is offline   nmpike 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

I have to say that I cried when I found out the news... I saw this morning that Apple lost 17 billion in over night stock trading. Thankfully they have the assets to absorb that loss, but it is so, so sad. For steve to make this decision tells you it's not good health wise. I know I've had love hates with apple, and I know Steve Jobs in a way a lot of people do not. I was part of the first medical apps for the Mac, and was the first medical app for the iPhone... I would communicate with steve on a regular basis, and even got the pleasure of having our picture together. Steve doesn't normally do that and I promised and swore I would never share that picture with anyone and I haven't.

Steve and Apple transformed my life from being a nobody to have five porsches, a mercedes CL600, a beautiful home, and helped shape what I have...

In this crap hold world we live in, Apple was one of the few things that still brought joy and excitement into my life because you never knew what they would do next... nobody will ever replace Steve, you just can't... Tim will run the business end, and they will continue to do well for a while I believe, but without Steve's guidance the others will catch up to Apple, and I just dont think apple can innovate like they have before... EVERYTHING that has come from apple was steve's guidance.

It is truly, truly, truly sad. :(

Mike

#9 User is offline   newsjunkie 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

Oh boy!
I guess I struck a nerve here!
Take a deep breath, I'm a fanboy too.
bvl1
Lion: yes, everyone who wanted it had it... but take a look at the Lion support pages, you'll see the outrage. What was half-baked was the OS not the distribution. I installed it on 9 Macs, some didn't have a problem. Some others (3) were a mess (glad I had backups). This never happened to me with Tiger, Leopard or SL...
IPhone 5: it's not my schedule, I couldn’t' care less, they have been off their previously consistent summer roll out.

This post has been edited by Jason Snell: 26 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

#10 User is offline   newsjunkie 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

I share your feelings. For me Apple has been more of a place where I spent my money all the way back to Apple II. Mercedes is another place where I spend money, not on the CL though, I need a 4 seater. Still working on the first Porsche ;-)
NJ

View Postnmpike, on 25 August 2011 - 08:21 AM, said:

I have to say that I cried when I found out the news... I saw this morning that Apple lost 17 billion in over night stock trading. Thankfully they have the assets to absorb that loss, but it is so, so sad. For steve to make this decision tells you it's not good health wise. I know I've had love hates with apple, and I know Steve Jobs in a way a lot of people do not. I was part of the first medical apps for the Mac, and was the first medical app for the iPhone... I would communicate with steve on a regular basis, and even got the pleasure of having our picture together. Steve doesn't normally do that and I promised and swore I would never share that picture with anyone and I haven't.

Steve and Apple transformed my life from being a nobody to have five porsches, a mercedes CL600, a beautiful home, and helped shape what I have...

In this crap hold world we live in, Apple was one of the few things that still brought joy and excitement into my life because you never knew what they would do next... nobody will ever replace Steve, you just can't... Tim will run the business end, and they will continue to do well for a while I believe, but without Steve's guidance the others will catch up to Apple, and I just dont think apple can innovate like they have before... EVERYTHING that has come from apple was steve's guidance.

It is truly, truly, truly sad. :(

Mike

#11 User is offline   CapnVan 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

View Postdons2, on 25 August 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

Steve is handing down several legacies. One is that he groomed one person to "take over" when he decides to step aside. Most CEOs are so insecure that they would not take that risk.

Excellent point: Remember all the hullabaloo about the succession? At multiple times, including most recently with the WSJ this summer? That question was answered 7 years ago. If there's one thing Jobs' is, it's a control freak (no insult intended, it's why he's done what he's done). He wasn't going to hand over the reins to anyone he wasn't completely confident in — and that never changed.

#12 User is offline   tony_d 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

View Postnewsjunkie, on 25 August 2011 - 06:43 AM, said:

Hhhmmmm...

Little tired of reading this about the iPhone 5 (or whatever its gonna be called). How is an unannounced product delayed? Yeah, we know Apple is working on a successor to the iPhone 4 but when did Apple ever acknowledge a new phone even exists, let alone it'll be released on such and such date?
As for the Lion comment I can't comment on the OS as I'm still using Leopard on a PPC iMac but I do recall problems with all of Mac OSX releases. Part of the way this works.

#13 User is offline   MorrisTheCat 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

While I was initially shocked and very sad to hear about Steve stepping down, sensibility soon prevailed for me and I realize that Apple will be just fine and continue to excel in the technology field. I haven't looked at what the stocks have been doing since yesterday's news, but it wouldn't surprise me one iota if the chicken little Wall Street boys are freaking out right about now. Apple stock going down is about the only possible negative effect I can see in Jobs' resignation and Cook taking the helm.

Other than that, I think they'll be just fine. Steve built a fantastic team of bright, intelligent people that think a lot like him. No, no one person will ever be like Steve Jobs, but together they can keep Apple strong.

#14 User is offline   teasip74 

• Pip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hells Bells, the man didn't die ... he just took another position in the company. Anyone who has actually been paying attention (unlike, evidently, the media) would know that Cook has already been the CEO. Does anyone actually think the Chairman will not continue to be a visionary?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users