Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Successful setup: OS X Lion + Bootcamp Win7 + Data Partition - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Successful setup: OS X Lion + Bootcamp Win7 + Data Partition Adding a 3rd (or more) partition to OS X Lion & Bootcamp

#15 User is offline   gadgethater 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

View Postmacnuke, on 21 January 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

you will be missing on space with a useless data partition. every time you partition, you lose space.
why people think this MacOS/Bootcamp/Data scheme is good is beyond me.

Why people think their own reasons for doing things are the only valid ones is beyond me.

Let me give you a clue.

One data source for two OSes means you can share ONE iTunes library. That saves space in itself. The same principle can be applied to Adobe CS, MS Office, etc. Not good enough for you?

How about sharing a single TrueCrypt volume, readable by both OSes and not having to worry about sensitive data being leaked, regardless of which system you're running in case your laptop gets stolen? For people worried about security, this is not only the best way to save space, but the most secure and time saving method. PERIOD.

Maybe next time you could let people try and do different things and not be so hateful.

#16 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

that was funny. and a rather narrow minded look at my previous posts.

I use the SHARED folder.
and believe it or not... you can share things in there.

yeah.. it's shared by 3 OS's,not one, not two, but three.
Seven actually if you count the VMware XpPro, 7, Linux and Solaris
my one encryption is shared. I am in favor of opensource... so no MS Office needed.
as is my iTunes, Adobe, OpenOffice etc.

so my data isn't duplicated.
and I have no "data" partition costing space.

hateful? that's even funnier.
seems you're the one that got your back all riled up due to not actually reading and understanding.
do it your way by all means.
zero probs with that.

just because I say it's beyond me doesn't mean i don't know how to do it that way.
it's just not the most efficient.
so when you think of a valid reason for the "data" partition... please... by all means share.

This post has been edited by macnuke: 10 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

#17 User is offline   Prontobasso 

• Pip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

View Postmacnuke, on 10 February 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

that was funny. and a rather narrow minded look at my previous posts.

I use the SHARED folder.
and believe it or not... you can share things in there.

yeah.. it's shared by 3 OS's,not one, not two, but three.
Seven actually if you count the VMware XpPro, 7, Linux and Solaris
my one encryption is shared. I am in favor of opensource... so no MS Office needed.
as is my iTunes, Adobe, OpenOffice etc.

so my data isn't duplicated.
and I have no "data" partition costing space.

hateful? that's even funnier.
seems you're the one that got your back all riled up due to not actually reading and understanding.
do it your way by all means.
zero probs with that.

just because I say it's beyond me doesn't mean i don't know how to do it that way.
it's just not the most efficient.
so when you think of a valid reason for the "data" partition... please... by all means share.

I think your point of view is narrow-minded.
Nobody here is talking about sharing things between operating systems, you have couple of ways to share files betwees OS's,

Think about a scenario actually my situation;
I have couple of programs that just runs in windows, some kind of notation software ( I'm a musician ), and I have around 400 gb of music,
so is it logic to keep all this archive in the same place with the operating system. What if I want to make a clean install. I'm a power user that everytime makes changes and messes around with the programs and tries new things in the os. when I first buy my mac I needed to make a clean install to run it smooth again after 3 weeks. thanks to my curiosity I tried so many programs, install remove so much stuff and the OSX couldn't handle it anymore and started to slow down.

You are talking about backing up, is it that easy and fast to back up and restore from a 400 gigs of fully loaded OS or an operating system that is around 60-70 gigs and has only the necessary programs on it.
So when you are arguing and telling your oppositions to people think about the worst case scenarios not only your situation. it can be suitable for you but not for someone else.

#18 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

you claim to be a power user.
ya know you can "clean install" and leave the shared folder :P

backups are for total hardware failure.
anything else is simple without trying to "400G restore" as you put it.
I don't understand why would any soft fail require it.

not arguing.. that would be counter productive. B) :P

#19 User is offline   Prontobasso 

• Pip

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Yes mate, your way is much better okay.

So I managed to do the hard and unlogic (!) way, maybe some people will be interested, let me describe.

first of all it is based on the above method but with some modifications.

The reason why this method doesnt work and during the windows installation windows setup gives an error and refuses to install OS is Windows doesnt allow us to install the OS on one physical drive that has more than 4 partitions.

but unfortunately you will have total 5 partitions after applying above method (some are not visible)

1. EFI
2. Recovery HD
3. Machintosh HD (system drive)
4. BOOTCAMP
5. DATA Partition (that we are trying to add)

So the key to be successive is to delete your Recovery HD

important: before you delete your Recovery HD be sure you backed it up to a usb drive or external HD (In case you need it in the future) because after deleting you cannot re-create it.
to back it up Apple released a little software which you can find here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433 (1.07 Mb)
be sure that you backed up (better cloned) your OS drive.
to delete it is very easy 2 minute process as described here http://osxdaily.com/...y-hd-partition/

After deleting, open bootcamp manager follow the steps after second step bootcamp manager will ask for windows installation disc.
Now you will decide the amount of the partitions that you want to dedicate for both OSX and windows.
After ur desicion, at the end of the partitioning you need to close the bootcamp and open disc manager to shrink your OSX drive and create a DATA partition.
Unfortunately After november 2011 update of bootcamp it doesnt allow you to exit the bootcamp manager after the creation of BOOTCAMP partition, and it automatically restarts computer so you need to interrubt this process by force ejecting your windows CD during the manager is in the process of partitioning.
to do this, after determining the partition sizes and clicking okay you will see a progress indicator when you see this, either press eject button or press to force eject button (if you have) near your optical drive bay.
this will eject your windows Disc and makes the bootcamp manager ask for it after repartitioning. ignore it and quit the bootcamp manager.
Go to the disk utility, shrink your OSX partition and by pressing the plus sign create a new DATA partition.
after all this you can use terminal and write "diskutil list" to the terminal window to confirm that you have only 4 drives in ur physical drive.
you can now insert back your windows CD.
Restart ur computer by holding the option key after hearing the chime select windows disc from the selection screen and proceed to the regular windows installation.
when you arrive to the installation disc selection screen select BOOTCAMP drive and click drive options and format it. proceed with the installation.
This is important: During the installation windows setup restarts your mac totaly 3 times as an installation procedure. on each time you need to hold down the option key after you hear the chime and select your windows boot CD not the windows HD drive which is added to the boot disc selection screen.
After installation finishes select your user name password make the regional settings, etc. and you are done.

You have your DATA partion.

I was succesfull with macbook pro late 2011.

if you have difficulties feel free to ask.

Good Luck.

#20 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

:lol:

#21 User is offline   movreak 

• Pip

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

I managed to get everything works like the way I want:
  • Lion, Windows 7, and two shared partition (don't ask why I need two, I do need two)
  • Lion recovery partition is intact
  • Factory-installed Lion is intact

The key of my success is moving my Boot Camp partition to the first position, as shown below:
http://f.cl.ly/items...x/Partition.png

When I say moving, there's no such a tool or way to move partition. I have to recreate all partitions without having to actually clean the HD and remove factory-setting Lion. As I use MBP retina, and reading from several references that Lion installer on the Mac App Store is not compatible with MBP retina, I don't want to lose it.

The steps are:
1. Split the default Macintosh HD partition into two. Resize the first one to 120GB. This will be a Boot Camp partition later.
2. Split the second partitions into three more partitions like the image. All partitions are in HFS+ format. The last partition is to be Macintosh HD (Lion boot partition) later.
3. Restart MBP and reboot using Recovery partition (Cmd+R).
4. After recovery partition is booted up, I open Disk Utility.
5. Clone the first partition to the last partition. Just googling how to do that. Now I have two Lion partitions. Luckily, this step will create two Recovery partitions.
6. Exit recovery mode and reboot using the just created (cloning result) Macintosh HD.
7. After everything is exactly like before, I reboot again using Recovery by pressing Option then select the second Recovery, not the first one.
8. After recovery booted up, I open Disk Utility and remove the first partition. Then create Boot Camp partition out of it, and format it using ExtFAT so that later Windows can be installed here (need to reformat later to NTFS).

And that's it. Then I install Windows 7 on the first partition (named Boot Camp) using USB (since MBP Retina doesn't have DVD drive). After Windows installation finish, install Boot Camp drivers, and Windows recognize the two shared partitions above.

Since all steps are done in MBP retina with flash storage, and it's super fast, all steps only take about one hour. But I do need some time to think about the solutions.

Hope it helps.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users