Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Buying new digital camera -advice about aspect ratio - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Buying new digital camera -advice about aspect ratio

#1 User is online   chocolatito_1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

I want to buy a digital camera but since I am not pro at creating videos, I am confused about these two terms: "aspect ratio" and "video format". What I want is to buy a digital camera (not camcorder) that takes videos that I can post in youtube and will take the whole screen without letterboxing. Youtube videos are 16:9 aspect ratio and the resolution they recommend are 640x360, 960x540, 864x486, 1280x720 -which are all within that aspect ratio but I am just not sure if I can get this from a digital camera or I would have to buy a camcorder -which I do not want to do.

Please advice if you know of any digital camera that can do this or if I can change the aspect ratio in imovie somehow without letterboxing the video.

#2 User is offline   gabrielawilliam 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

When purchasing a mini digital cameras compatibility and personal comfort should be considered. In case of mini digital cameras the digital cameras are very small in size. These are basically designed for taking easy and quick snaps shots and not for the professional shots. To get a professional shot you need to purchase a professional camera that is the DSLRs. DSLRs are digital cameras with a single reflexive lens. To get the mini digital camera at an affordable price just collect and use overstock coupons and overstock coupon codes.

#3 User is offline   moose_n_squirrel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:48 AM

You do not need a camcorder. You can do what you want with an affordable digital camera. Many of them let you choose the resolution you shoot in, and many let you choose the aspect ratio too. If you want the most flexibility, make sure you buy a camera that lets you choose between at least 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios. Or you can just buy one that does 16:9 if that's all you want. Older cameras might only do 4:3, but newer ones that say HD usually do 16:9. Just check the specs wherever you are shopping. You will find numerous cameras made in the past year can do 16:9 at 1920x1080, including an increasing number of smartphones including the iPhone. 16:9 @ 1080p is no longer exotic when you can do it on a phone...

While you can choose the resolution, really, it's best to shoot at the top resolution (1920x1080p) and use your video editing app to downsample if you feel that's necessary. A lot of people would rather shoot and upload at 1920x1080, since on YouTube a viewer can always choose a lower resolution on playback.

Just remember that resolution isn't everything. The $15,000 Canon C300, $2500 Canon 5D MkII (standard DSLR for video pros), $400 Canon S100 point-and-shoot, and the $200 iPhone 4S can all shoot 16:9 1920x1080p. The difference is in the lens choices and numerous other factors that affect how good those 1920 pixels actually end up looking. Quality, not quantity.

P.S. Ignore the post above by gabrielawilliam. The style and embedded link is clearly that of the latest type of spammer, who only posts to put up a spam website link and couches their answer in words that are only sort of related to the question, in an attempt to avoid appearing as a spammer. But they are.

#4 User is offline   gabrielawilliam 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:19 AM

People buy digital camera for different purpose, some like to make a career from it or some like to develop a hobby from it. But most of the people who go in search for a digital camera does not know what is there for them ageless male

#5 User is offline   DMurray431 

• PipPip

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Last month on the NBC television network, noted photographer, Annie Leibowitz was asked what kind of camera she would recommend to the average person to buy. It was quite interesting that she recombined the iPhone! She said it took great pictures and video.....very high quality and easy to use.

#6 User is offline   tntoak 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I have an iPhone 4S, but I've always also owned a regular (either 35mm or digital) camera as well. I just picked up a Canon EOS Rebel T2i because I've been wanting a true DSLR and the ability to swap out lenses as needed. Prior to the Canon, I was using a Fujifilm FinePix S2900, which is a great camera for around $200. Both cameras take excellent video, and to be honest, I'd focus on the specific resolution you want to record at rather than the aspect ratio, because some cameras might use the same aspect ratio, but at a lower resolution than what you actually want to record at.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users