• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Post your comments for Facebook and Spotify drop the other shoe here

#2 User is offline   tomlivingston 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

I see no other way to sign up for Mog but Facebook.

#3 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

View Posttomlivingston, on 26 September 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

I see no other way to sign up for Mog but Facebook.

Try this link.

#4 User is offline   TroyWilson 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

What are you talking about? I created a Spotify account THEN linked it to Facebook. Also when you start the Spotify client it says that you can log in with facebook or a Spotify account! Are you for real with this BS story?

#5 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

View PostTroyWilson, on 26 September 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

What are you talking about? I created a Spotify account THEN linked it to Facebook. Also when you start the Spotify client it says that you can log in with facebook or a Spotify account! Are you for real with this BS story?

No reason to be nasty because you're uninformed. Please read the statement from Spotify quoted in the story.

If you have an existing Spotify account you can keep it just as it is without linking to Facebook. However, *new* accounts will require a Facebook account.

#6 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Well, there goes any interest I had in Spotify. Not that I don't have a Facebook account. I do. But I'm already swatting all sorts of things that they try to do with my information and my online activity. I certainly don't need them exposing my Slim Whitman playlist to the world. The Martians would really not appreciate that.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#7 User is offline   dbwie 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

I think Apple should promote Facetime using all of the iOS devices as a more intimate, private, and valuable alternative to social networking.

#8 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

View Postleicaman, on 26 September 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Well, there goes any interest I had in Spotify. Not that I don't have a Facebook account. I do. But I'm already swatting all sorts of things that they try to do with my information and my online activity. I certainly don't need them exposing my Slim Whitman playlist to the world. The Martians would really not appreciate that.

Agreed. I signed up for Spotify prior to the FB-linking requirement and really liked the service. It's a great way to check out music before you buy. But the more these companies try to force their way into my life, the more I resist. So, I'll just drop Spotify (not that they'll miss a free "subscriber").

#9 User is offline   emozion 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Free services not only want your personal information, they also want to grab you by the balls—eyeballs, that is.

Here is, I believe, the link to the original, very perceptive, quote on "you are the product":
http://www.metafilte...iven-discontent
The original comment reads: "If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold." and was posted by user blue_beetle on August 26, 2010.

#10 User is offline   DeanMartinetti 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

brilliant article, I hate facebook as well and am deleting my personal account on friday morning. Just going to keep my small business's account for promotion.

#11 User is offline   bonesb 

• PipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postwardoggie, on 26 September 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Postleicaman, on 26 September 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Agreed. I signed up for Spotify prior to the FB-linking requirement and really liked the service. It's a great way to check out music before you buy. But the more these companies try to force their way into my life, the more I resist. So, I'll just drop Spotify (not that they'll miss a free "subscriber").

+1. No, hold it - that's Google. So, me too.

#12 User is offline   lisdavid89pch4 

• PipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

I just tried joining Spotify and yes YOU DO NEED A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT to use Spotify. I'm not able to create a Spotify account at all. I hope they change this but in the meantime, it's either have Facebook to get Spotify or don't (unless you got a Spotify account before this whole Facebook thing happened).

#13 User is offline   mmp1964 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

For me, it comes down to not wanting my Facebook "friends" - which include members of my family - to necessarily know everything I listen to. Nor do I care what my family listens to. Or even my friends, for that matter. I prefer the anonymous friends of something like Rdio - who are based on shared musical taste and nothing more.

#14 User is offline   himbo 

• PipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

View Postlisdavid89pch4, on 26 September 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:

I just tried joining Spotify and yes YOU DO NEED A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT to use Spotify. I'm not able to create a Spotify account at all. I hope they change this but in the meantime, it's either have Facebook to get Spotify or don't (unless you got a Spotify account before this whole Facebook thing happened).

This has already been addressed once in the comments so far. Accounts that existed previously were able to be set up without being tied to a Facebook account. New accounts — meaning as of now — will not have that option. Everything going forward requires the Facebook account.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users