Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: T-Mobile publishes open letter about the iPhone, Android - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

T-Mobile publishes open letter about the iPhone, Android

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

Post your comments for T-Mobile publishes open letter about the iPhone, Android here

#2 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

This is a big notice that on Tuesday, T-Mobile is going to be the only US carrier that doesn't carry the iPhone.

#3 User is offline   klahanas 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

"So, his company apparently wishes it had the iPhone, even though it also believes it offers better alternatives."

Or...he would like to be able to offer his customers this wildly popular product, you know, "choice".
"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."

-Rush

#4 User is offline   Dogbrain 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

It's so weird that Apple doesn't make the iPhone more widely available in the US. AT&T is such an unpleasant company, with not only irregular service but also far right wing politics. To get an iPhone, I had to sign up with the largest contributor to the Tea Party caucus. Now I'm so locked in that it's hard to imagine getting out. Argh.

What's that about? If they want to sell phones, why not sell them to everybody, everywhere? If it requires some engineering, - well, Apple has got a few bucks in the bank.

#5 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

"Brodman’s letter to customers in fact reads a bit more like a letter to Apple, effectively stating: Please let us sell the iPhone, or we’ll keep hawking Android phones to anyone who will listen."

Brodman states matter-of-factly "Please know that we think the iPhone is a great device and Apple knows that we’d like to add it to our line-up.

Today, I had the chance to take the stage at the Mobilize event in San Francisco and introduce our fastest 4G smartphones ever, the Samsung Galaxy S II and the HTC Amaze. We’re very confident that these Android smartphones rival or beat any smartphone out there in terms of functionality, speed, overall experience and features – including the iPhone."

This sounds to me like they would like to have the iPhone on their network (and have expressed that desire to Apple, Inc.) IN ADDITION to all of the great Android phones they currently sell. If T-Mo did get the iPhone they would continue to sell Android based smartphones as well - the two are not mutually exclusive.

#6 User is offline   scott2si 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

It's too bad that Apple won't sell the iPhone on T-Mobile. I wonder why Apple is totally giving the finger to T-Mobile.

#7 User is offline   nmpike 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

The possibility could be this, if Tmobile offered the iPhone, TMOBILE would grow immensely thereby killing ATT's argument that Tmobile needs to be bought to succeed. Thats how I take this announcement.

#8 User is offline   sigma8 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

I use my iPhone on T-mobile. The lack of 3G is a bit of a pain, it's true... But I'm very happy paying a much lower monthly phone bill. My problem is I get a lot of automated SMS messages, enough that I'd need to pay for AT&T's unlimited texting plan, which is outrageously priced. T-mobile just includes that in the basic "everything" package, which is a lot less.

#9 User is offline   cv 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

Maybe they should post this to Craigslist: either Casual Encounters or Missed Connections.

#10 User is offline   Lenjc1957 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

I find it difficult to understand the looney behavior displayed lately by so-called executives, be they CEOs or CTOs or even a CMO like this nut job. (Although I do find it endlessly amusing.) But let's face it, if you or I sent out an email such as this, we'd be beating a path to the nearest unemployment office in short order.

This post has been edited by Lenjc1957: 27 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

#11 User is offline   tsharvey5 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

Ummm, are any of you still under the impression that Apple is some kind of kind and gentle utopia? Stop drinking the kool-aid...

AT&T got the iPhone because they out-bid Verizon and paid Apple a boat-load of cash for "exclusive" rights.

Verizon finally got access to the old model, and then current models, by ALSO paying boatload of cash for "semi-exclusive" access.

If T-Mobile wants the iPhone they will have to cut a massive freaking check... Per the blog-post, it sounds like they want the candy but don't want to pay out their entire available cash-flow to get it. S.O.L. boys.

It's not about the consumer, it's not about the user, and it's not about the faithful. Apple is all about the money. Always has been, always will be. They ARE a corporation, a very successful corporation, a very, very, successful corporation.

They work to keep an "exclusive" feel to the product by keeping prices artificially high, and deliberately NOT catering to the masses thru product lock-in. The only real exceptions were iTunes-on-the-PC, because they just HAD to tap into the Windows world (people weren't willing to upgrade their PC just to work with their MP3 player); and moving to the Intel CPU so they could stay exclusive but still tap into the Windows world (boot-camp VM). Motorola and PowerPC chips kept them a niche player and limited their available cash-flow. Apple took off on the backs of Windows users with iPods, and Windows users looking to appear more affluent than the others around them ("Hi, I overpaid for my PC").

The upcoming announcement will likely be something like iPhone in "red"... oooh I can hardly wait...

Then all the mac-sheep will drop their white/black iPhones and Apple will trundle the wheelbarrows of cash to the bank.

And yes I'm jealous of their success, and too damn cheap to buy their baubles... S.O.L. me...

#12 User is offline   godrilla 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Apple does not want to make money from sales, they rather sue everyone!

#13 User is offline   zarmanto 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

View Postbettercitizens, on 27 September 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

... If T-Mo did get the iPhone they would continue to sell Android based smartphones as well - the two are not mutually exclusive.

Technically true -- but while they are not mutually exclusive, the availability (or lack thereof) of one very much impacts the sales of the other, and that (in combination with their timing) is the real indicator of their intent with this "open letter." It's pretty much a given that sales of T-Mobile Android devices would go down substantially, if there were a subsidized T-Mobile iPhone. And T-Mobile would be as quiet as a mouse if they were expecting to gleefully walk onstage alongside Apple one week from today... instead, they've already gone into full-tilt damage control mode. What I read from that open letter sounds a bit like this:

"Hey, look; you know we'd love to have a great big picture of an iPhone emblazoned across our homepage, (and more importantly, all of the potential new customers that would come with that) and next week you're going to find out that that's just not in the cards right now... but if you'll just turn around and stop gawking at Apple's highfalutin-whiz-bang-toys for a minute, I'm sure you'll love these really great Android devices that we have over here..."
- 24" iMac: 2.33GHz Core2 Duo/3GB RAM/2TB HD/GeForce 7600 w/256MB VRAM
- Hackintosh: 2.3GHz AMD Quad-Core/4GB RAM/multiple HDs/GeForce 8600 GTS w/256MB
- Verizon iPhone 4
- AppleTV (2nd Gen)
- 1TB Time Capsule
- 80GB iPod Classic

#14 User is offline   kitko33 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

I had an Android phone, works HTC Desire. It sucked to a point when I bought unsubsidized iPhone from Apple.

The phone run Froyo, but the Ginger is not that different. Desire is technically on par with iPhone 4, they even have same battery. I'm a light user but I got 3 days with Desire. I get a week with iPhone.

But with all respect, the whole Android experience = using device as whole, with market, apps etc..., put it this way, if iOS was Win 7, Android would be Win 98.

In terms of feel, usability and supporting services, it's extremely unrefined, frustrating, slow, ugly and... it took too much of my attention to keep the device alive.

iPhone just works.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users