• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

Post your comments for Locating and deleting PowerPC applications here

#2 User is offline   tewha 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

I love AppleScript examples, so I'm not criticizing this article.

But it made me wonder what you *could* do with Spotlight. It turns out you can do a Spotlight search for PowerPC code, but I couldn't find a way to search for PowerPC code only. However, a search for PowerPC code on my system showed 19 applications. Using the down arrow to step through them with the inspector open wouldn't be too hard.

Still interesting that you can't search for applications matching one architecture and somehow filter it by another architecture.

#3 User is offline   PrachiGauriar 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

View Posttewha, on 28 September 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

But it made me wonder what you *could* do with Spotlight. It turns out you can do a Spotlight search for PowerPC code, but I couldn't find a way to search for PowerPC code only. However, a search for PowerPC code on my system showed 19 applications. Using the down arrow to step through them with the inspector open wouldn't be too hard.

The ones that are PPC only have a “no” symbol overlaid on the icon.

#4 User is offline   zarmanto 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Sweet... I just used that script to delete a bunch of stuff that I didn't even know I still had. Thanks, Chris!
- 24" iMac: 2.33GHz Core2 Duo/3GB RAM/2TB HD/GeForce 7600 w/256MB VRAM
- Hackintosh: 2.3GHz AMD Quad-Core/4GB RAM/multiple HDs/GeForce 8600 GTS w/256MB
- Verizon iPhone 4
- AppleTV (2nd Gen)
- 1TB Time Capsule
- 80GB iPod Classic

#5 User is offline   Jeromedy7i 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Be aware that some Java programs only use a small piece of PPC code called a JavaApplicationStub. These show up in the finder with the "no" symbol over their icon and will tell you they are PPC only if you try to run them. However, if the stub is replaced by an Intel stub, the program will run under Lion (as long as you have Java installed).

#6 User is offline   Panglos 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

Users might want to install an app or preference pane like AppTrap ( http://onnati.net/apptrap/ ) that will remove associated files when the PowerPC files are deleted.

#7 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:36 AM

View PostPanglos, on 28 September 2011 - 11:46 PM, said:

Users might want to install an app or preference pane like AppTrap ( http://onnati.net/apptrap/ ) that will remove associated files when the PowerPC files are deleted.

They might. It's a pity that none of these apps (can) perform their advertised task reliably.

#8 User is offline   zoffo 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:56 AM

View PostMacworld, on 28 September 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

Post your comments for Locating and deleting PowerPC applications here

No need to throw out PPC AppleScript applications, just open them in AppleScript Editor and save them to convert the apps to Intel.

This post has been edited by zoffo: 29 September 2011 - 04:57 AM

#9 User is offline   zarmanto 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:16 AM

View Postzoffo, on 29 September 2011 - 04:56 AM, said:

No need to throw out PPC AppleScript applications, just open them in AppleScript Editor and save them to convert the apps to Intel.

I actually tried that once: Turns out, it's a pretty common practice to distribute your AppleScript apps as run-only.
- 24" iMac: 2.33GHz Core2 Duo/3GB RAM/2TB HD/GeForce 7600 w/256MB VRAM
- Hackintosh: 2.3GHz AMD Quad-Core/4GB RAM/multiple HDs/GeForce 8600 GTS w/256MB
- Verizon iPhone 4
- AppleTV (2nd Gen)
- 1TB Time Capsule
- 80GB iPod Classic

#10 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

View Postzarmanto, on 29 September 2011 - 05:16 AM, said:

View Postzoffo, on 29 September 2011 - 04:56 AM, said:

I actually tried that once: Turns out, it's a pretty common practice to distribute your AppleScript apps as run-only.

Not being at a Mac right now to try this, I wonder if there's a workaround to be had by making and saving your own (do-nothing) app and copying an embedded stub into a PowerPC runonly.

#11 User is offline   whitedog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:35 AM

When I try to save either version of the script I get an error message saying that it cannot be saved - with no explanation as to why.

This post has been edited by whitedog: 30 September 2011 - 04:35 AM

#12 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

View Postwhitedog, on 30 September 2011 - 04:35 AM, said:

When I try to save either version of the script I get an error message saying that it cannot be saved - with no explanation as to why.

Huh. I know you know what you're doing but I'm gonna have to say this is some issue with your Mac. I've just tried it again on two different Macs -- one running Snow Leopard and another running Lion -- and had no problem saving the scripts as apps on either machine. Maybe it's a permission issue? Try saving to a different location and see what happens.

#13 User is offline   whitedog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

View PostChris Breen, on 30 September 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

View Postwhitedog, on 30 September 2011 - 04:35 AM, said:

Huh. I know you know what you're doing but I'm gonna have to say this is some issue with your Mac. I've just tried it again on two different Macs -- one running Snow Leopard and another running Lion -- and had no problem saving the scripts as apps on either machine. Maybe it's a permission issue? Try saving to a different location and see what happens.

Sometimes I know what I'm doing. ;-) Obviously, in this case, I do not. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and report back. I don't use Apple Script a lot, but I've never had this problem before.

#14 User is offline   WarrenS 

• PipPip

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

Wow something I never thought of doing, but needed doing. Worked fine. Great article!!
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users