Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Growl shows that open source and the Mac App Store mix - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Growl shows that open source and the Mac App Store mix

#15 User is offline   muddybulldog 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

View Postjowie, on 03 October 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

View Postd00d, on 03 October 2011 - 01:54 PM, said:

I've read that the only two ways to discover it currently are by browsing the Utilities category or by direct link. I can't confirm/deny at the moment.

It's very typical (on the iOS App Store at least) for Apps to be available in the store before they have made it into the search engine.

Amusingly at this moment it's still not searchable, but it IS the #3 app in the Top Charts, right under OS X Lion and Pages.

#16 User is offline   kimhill 

• PipPip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

I've read that the only two ways to discover it currently are by browsing the Utilities category or by direct link. I can't confirm/deny at the moment.

It's very typical (on the iOS App Store at least) for Apps to be available in the store before they have made it into the search engine.

Can you imagine being a developer & on the day you're getting your burst of publicity, people can't find your app?

#17 User is offline   DennisGroves 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

I for one am not purchasing anything from the app-store. The app-store requires that I have a valid credit card to download even free applications - this is not the kind of freedom nor future I want to participate in. Apple gets worse and worse. I am unable to stream music in iTunes anymore - it always stops music in the middle to buffer. Safari randomly reboots all of my tabs. Apple used to be known for quality - but now it is nothing but disappointment. Lion was a giant step backwards in my opinion. I may have a macbook air, but this is my last apple.

#18 User is offline   kimhill 

• PipPip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

View PostDennisGroves, on 03 October 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

I for one am not purchasing anything from the app-store. The app-store requires that I have a valid credit card to download even free applications...

No it doesn't. They don't make it easy for you, but a credit card is not necessary.

#19 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

View PostDennisGroves, on 03 October 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

I for one am not purchasing anything from the app-store. The app-store requires that I have a valid credit card to download even free applications - this is not the kind of freedom nor future I want to participate in.

Sigh - no they don't. And you sound suspiciously like the folks who are also anti-Steam because they want to "own" their software. Let me save you some trouble: you don't own any commercial software. It's licensed to you. Back away from the ledge, have a lovely beverage and worry about something that is worth worrying about.

Getting hopped up about an online app store for reasons that aren't valid isn't worth it. Unless you are also one of those guys that just likes to complain about things that are different or that you don't understand.

Apple gets worse and worse.

Funny, I've been using Apple products since 1982 and they haven't been better. Specifically since the late 90's they haven't been better!

I am unable to stream music in iTunes anymore - it always stops music in the middle to buffer. Safari randomly reboots all of my tabs. Apple used to be known for quality - but now it is nothing but disappointment. Lion was a giant step backwards in my opinion. I may have a macbook air, but this is my last apple.

Streaming - that could have anything to do with you ISP or local wifi, could it? Nope, just Apple going down the tubes.

The Safari tab thing is a known issue that they will fix. It's a brand new OS. If you are so intolerant of such little glitches you need to wait a couple of years before upgrading.

I find Lion the most exciting version of Mac OS X yet. Yup, it has a few glitches, but then again so did EVERY OTHER version of Mac OS X (especially before 10.4!)

And Windows.

And any other software package - even the sacred open source. It's the nature of the beast. General purpose computers are a complex mix of hardware and software. If you have a low tolerance for the unexpected, stick with the tried and true and upgrade later.

Leopard would still be an improvement over the other alternatives IMNSHO.

Apple is still known for quality - over a decade of topping JD Power surveys.

And if you think the non-Apple alternatives are better... Can I watch when you switch? Seriously, you live in a cave? Just downgrade to

#20 User is offline   TheFLP 

• PipPip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

View Postkimhill, on 03 October 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

Can you imagine being a developer & on the day you're getting your burst of publicity, people can't find your app?

It is kinda bizarre. Apple may not be Google (or even MicroBing), but it shouldn't be that hard to search for something on their own servers — Spotlight was perfectly capable of finding a file I downloaded two minutes ago.

#21 User is offline   n4hhe 

• PipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

View Postkabj06, on 03 October 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

Hopefully this will stop retarded devs from including this with their software.

Hopefully this will stop retarded devs from including this with their software.

Sadly, I have to agree. Growl doesn't do anything "for" me other than pop up on top of other running applications to inform me of something a bouncing icon in Dock could do as good or better.

Only leave Growl installed because I got tired of perpetually removing it.

#22 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

View PostTheFLP, on 03 October 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postkimhill, on 03 October 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

It is kinda bizarre. Apple may not be Google (or even MicroBing), but it shouldn't be that hard to search for something on their own servers — Spotlight was perfectly capable of finding a file I downloaded two minutes ago.

To be fair Google has trouble searching in a lot of its products (YouTube, DFP, etc.) and search is its main business. That said, Apple should get the search issues sorted.

#23 User is offline   LTDmac 

• Pip

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

Not available on the Mac App Store, or explained the Growl Website as of 1:30pm Pacific, Monday, 3 October. Hmmm ... better be there soon, or someone has some splain'n to do. :-)

LTD

#24 User is offline   JamesRobey 

• Pip

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

I am not comfortable with the app-store. You can almost smell a fleece-the-public smell wafting off the hands of startups who will be turning the creative exchange in OSX into a lawyered and patented brine of proprietary code. I guess I envision the day this is the sole distribution mechanism in common use. NO THANK YOU.

This post has been edited by JamesRobey: 06 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

#25 User is offline   RicardoSantos 

• Pip

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Actually it shows that in order to make money they needed to change a non open source version.

At least they left the code of version 1.2.2, otherwise it would have being a "bait and switch". As it stands is more of "we placed open source, got the bugs out, and now we want money for our work."

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users